Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 10:21 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,390 times

Advertisements

OK, first some background for those who don't know... My fiance left me for another woman three and a half years ago, a few weeks before our wedding. He married her about four months later. I was devastated and it took me a couple years to recover enough to move on with my life. I moved to a new town, got a new job and things have been going great. We didn't communicate for the last couple years, until a few months ago when we sent a few e-mails back and forth, just chit-chat. At that time he told me that his marriage was over (I hadn't known that). I've basically forgiven him for being an idiot, but I certainly haven't forgotten what he did. After a couple months of e-mailing about football and the weather I decided to ask him if he had any remorse or regret about what happened in our relationship. He never replied to that e-mail so I just wrote him off (again) and didn't really think much about him.

Fast forward two months to last week. I was in DC on business and I woke up Wednesday to find an e-mail from him. He said that he was in DC on business (pure coincidence) and was thinking about me because the last time he was there he was with me, and he signed the e-mail with the same goofy signature we used when we were together. Oh yeah, and he put "P.S. I miss you".

We ended up going out to dinner that night and talked for four hours. Most of the time was spent just catching up. He did tell me that he sent the previous night's e-mail when he was drunk. Anyway, after just talking for about an hour I decided that we'd had enough chit-chat and I wanted answers to some questions. He told me that yes, he had cheated on me with her and she was the reason he left (up until then it was all speculation - guess I was right). I also found out that his marriage had only lasted six months, and that she was the one who left him. Karma sure is a bee-yotch. For some reason though, that just irritated the heck out of me - that he threw away our relationship for this woman who used him, took a bunch of his money, and then dumped him. Either she's really clever, or he's really really dumb. I also asked him if she hadn't been in the picture could we have maybe postponed the wedding and figured out what was really going on between us and worked it out. He said yes. More frustration. However, the one thing he never said, and has never said in the past three years or so is "I'm sorry I hurt you".

After stewing over this for a couple days I decided that whether or not he felt he made the right decision in leaving me for her, he still hurt me terribly and should apologize if he wants to be friends, or pen pals, or whatever the heck he's hoping to get out of continuing to communicate with me. Without that apology I feel like I'm condoning what he did in some way. I'm planning to send him an e-mail telling him that I don't want to stay in touch any more because it doesn't seem like he feels any remorse for what he did and I deserve better than that.

I guess this was more of a rant and venting than anything else. Feel free to comment if you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 10:28 PM

16,077 posts, read 28,550,952 times
31/2 yrs on your own...two yrs of recovery...you get where I'm headed with this.
You're like an alcoholic falling off the wagon.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,713,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
OK, first some background for those who don't know... My fiance left me for another woman three and a half years ago, a few weeks before our wedding. He married her about four months later. I was devastated and it took me a couple years to recover enough to move on with my life. I moved to a new town, got a new job and things have been going great. We didn't communicate for the last couple years, until a few months ago when we sent a few e-mails back and forth, just chit-chat. At that time he told me that his marriage was over (I hadn't known that). I've basically forgiven him for being an idiot, but I certainly haven't forgotten what he did. After a couple months of e-mailing about football and the weather I decided to ask him if he had any remorse or regret about what happened in our relationship. He never replied to that e-mail so I just wrote him off (again) and didn't really think much about him.

Fast forward two months to last week. I was in DC on business and I woke up Wednesday to find an e-mail from him. He said that he was in DC on business (pure coincidence) and was thinking about me because the last time he was there he was with me, and he signed the e-mail with the same goofy signature we used when we were together. Oh yeah, and he put "P.S. I miss you".

We ended up going out to dinner that night and talked for four hours. Most of the time was spent just catching up. He did tell me that he sent the previous night's e-mail when he was drunk. Anyway, after just talking for about an hour I decided that we'd had enough chit-chat and I wanted answers to some questions. He told me that yes, he had cheated on me with her and she was the reason he left (up until then it was all speculation - guess I was right). I also found out that his marriage had only lasted six months, and that she was the one who left him. Karma sure is a bee-yotch. For some reason though, that just irritated the heck out of me - that he threw away our relationship for this woman who used him, took a bunch of his money, and then dumped him. Either she's really clever, or he's really really dumb. I also asked him if she hadn't been in the picture could we have maybe postponed the wedding and figured out what was really going on between us and worked it out. He said yes. More frustration. However, the one thing he never said, and has never said in the past three years or so is "I'm sorry I hurt you".

After stewing over this for a couple days I decided that whether or not he felt he made the right decision in leaving me for her, he still hurt me terribly and should apologize if he wants to be friends, or pen pals, or whatever the heck he's hoping to get out of continuing to communicate with me. Without that apology I feel like I'm condoning what he did in some way. I'm planning to send him an e-mail telling him that I don't want to stay in touch any more because it doesn't seem like he feels any remorse for what he did and I deserve better than that.

I guess this was more of a rant and venting than anything else. Feel free to comment if you like.
You are even allowed to hang out with that match.com doc dude and his ferrari, but not this douchebag

Old 05-23-2010, 10:33 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,101 times
Why would you want anything to do with someone who did something so terrible to you - and, as you say, does not feel remorseful about it?

Are you a glutton for punishment - or just still in love with him?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:37 PM

1,659 posts, read 2,776,186 times
^^^I'm leaning in the same direction. It's better to use this to learn and move on than get invested in getting and apology out of a sorry dude.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:39 PM

213 posts, read 416,653 times
Drop him like a bad habit and fill your time with other people who value you much more than he does.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:48 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,765,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
31/2 yrs on your own...two yrs of recovery...you get where I'm headed with this.
You're like an alcoholic falling off the wagon.

What Virgode said.

You seem to be very emotionally susceptible to him and I say this by way of warning, for your benefit. If I were you, I'd have nothing whatever to do with him at all.

Ever. Again.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,768,238 times
Steer clear of him. History has a nasty way of repeating itself. Just ignore avoid, even shun him. Why risk him breaking your heart again. Its not worth it for your sake.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post

I completely understand the need to hear an "I'm sorry, what I did to you was terrible".

But you've got to remember, he's not sorry and he's not your friend. As hard as it is, let him go for good honey.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:01 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,340,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
You are even allowed to hang out with that match.com doc dude and his ferrari, but not this douchebag
LOL. I wonder if the Ferrari dude ever found his true love

This was one dinner and we don't live near each other so I seriously doubt any more meetings will be in our future. I just don't know at this point what he was even thinking would happen. I'm not losing sleep over it that's for sure. It was just a very freaky coincidence that we were in the same place at the same time. It was even more weird that his friend who was supposed to have been our Best Man was also in DC and that's who he went out and got drunk with the night before our dinner. None of us live there - it was very very bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships