Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:11 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times

Advertisements

I don't work at a job, but hubby calls my couponing my job. I spend about 20-30 hours a week getting coupons, checking out sales, clipping coupons, and shopping. But I'm also disabled, there are some things I cannot do - like mop floors and vacuum (I can't hold the vacuum or mop handles). So we have a cleaning woman come in once a week to handle the big chores, changing sheets, cleaning 2 big bathrooms and mopping and vacuuming. I still do most everything else.

We don't have lawn mowing to do, that's part of our where we live, but we do have a small veggie garden and some flowers that the mower-men just aren't allowed to touch (they mowed over 2 azalea bushes and weed whacked a cabbage plant but left the poison ivy).

He does all the laundry and I have to get a dispensation from the big chief honcho to do anything special of mine - and then he acts like I'm invading his space and why can't he do it! Oy.

And then he does whatever else needs to be done. If I'm having a particularly bad week with my hands not holding things, he's my hands in the kitchen making dinner, he'll take over dishwashing and kitchen clean-up - he can chop onions and julienne peppers and he makes rice perfect every time. He can fix anything from appliances to antique furniture; he'll dust and clean and he ALWAYS takes care of the litter boxes says it's a husband job and I'm not to touch it - but sometimes I do cause my nose is more sensitive than his only I don't let him know I did it. And that's probably the only thing we disagree on - how often to change the litter boxes.

So in all, he probably does at least 50% of the household chores - ugh kitten just brought in a dead mouse toy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:21 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Right now, I'm single, so it just doesn't get done. I don't have any idea when the carpets were last vacuumed, or what you might find in them.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:40 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
We split it down the middle. I do my own laundry, cook most of the time, do dishes, clean bathrooms, mow grass, rake leaves, shovel snow, take out trash, food shopping, walking dog, clean cars, and any and all heavy moving and repairs. I also help daughter with homework every night and when needed I'm on spider-killing patrol.

Spouse will also cook meals, do dishes, vacuum, do her own laundry, walk dog, clean bathrooms, mow grass, shovel snow, and take out trash.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:29 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,676,205 times
I do most of it. 100% of the traditional male chores and some times all the rest of it too ,or at least more than half of it.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:03 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
We both do the house type work. Right now I think he is doing more of it than I am but he has more time at home than I do.

And yes, I trust him to do my laundry. And he is a good cook.

We both tend to procrastinate on the house stuff so the place is never 'perfect'. It's been a construction zone for years and that makes it harder too. But we deal with it.

He has never been a homeowner before so a lot of fixit work goes to me because I have the experience and know how. But he is right there with me and wants to learn.

Old 05-27-2010, 11:54 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
Right now I am a homemaker goddess so I do it all. I handle all the finances, household and yard work. My husband has not seen a electric bill in years. But he works 7 days a week and has for quite sometime so I can not see him pitching in. I am almost done with my schooling and I will go back to work soon. I tell him he will have to learn how to use our new washing machine. He jokes that maybe I should never go back to work. But if he continues to work so much I will continue to do more at home. He works his arse off so I can handle the the house. If he goes back to 40 hrs well then he will be attending the "learn how to use the washing machine" seminar.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:58 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,209 times
I work at home right now and end up up doing most of the housework. That includes bill paying and other domestic duties besides cleaning. My husband has high standards for cleanliness and he will step up without saying a word if he sees something left undone or a problem area. He's a bit of a neat freak.

He also washes his vehicle every single morning. For him it's like brushing your teeth... you just don't go out in public with a dirty car, he would consider it "slumming". I am much more relaxed about my car so if we are going somewhere together in my car, he'll always wash it first -- while giving me the stink eye.

Aside from the car issue, we have similar standards for maintaining our home. We don't have clear rules about who will do what but we don't argue about it so rules haven't been needed. When I worked outside the home, he probably did more chores than I did.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:46 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
I can't work due to long term health problems so at the moment I do most of the household chores because it is only fair and I see it as a matter of pride to pull my weight when I am not earning anything.

I am quite ill a lot of the time but will still ensure that the cleaning and laundry is done , do the accounts, plan our holidays and social life . I don't do the ironing as I have back problems and find it quite difficult ( as well as truly hating it - sometimes health problems can be a perfect excuse !! ).

I plan and cook most meals , but hubby loads the dishwasher and will serve dinner ( my balance can be a little compromised so it makes sense).

He does the DIY around the house and looks after the car and garden. I guess because of my current health we have a more traditional chore sharing. If I was working I would expect him to do 50% though. Well at least 40%...

I believe both sides of the couple should do chores . Keeping a house is actually quite time consuming. And quite hard work if done properly. Our cultural /social life is really busy because I work really hard at it, quite a feat when I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome ( ME) and chronic depression and I do feel I am doing quite a hard job despite not bringing home any "bacon"... I really have to poush myself a lot and it takes a huge amount of effort for me.

The only problem with me is that I am a real stickler for tidiness and a bit of a clean freak so my standards vary a lot from his...

When I was fit and healthy I was still doing more chores simply because I had to go back after him and do it properly... I have mild OCD which has been mitigated by me becoming ill but I am still really fussy and like things a certain way in the house. I don't feel it fair to impose my standards on him so when I am really fussy about something I tend to do it myself.

Hubby is generally very good , though we bicker about little silly domestic things , but on the whole he is no slob and house trained ! I could never live with someone truly untidy or dirty.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:48 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
If he goes back to 40 hrs well then he will be attending the "learn how to use the washing machine" seminar.
I bet you could pass out fliers around the neighborhood and charge admission. Can I send my teenager? Maybe you can get through to her.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:56 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
We split it down the middle. I do my own laundry, cook most of the time, do dishes, clean bathrooms, mow grass, rake leaves, shovel snow, take out trash, food shopping, walking dog, clean cars, and any and all heavy moving and repairs. I also help daughter with homework every night and when needed I'm on spider-killing patrol.

Spouse will also cook meals, do dishes, vacuum, do her own laundry, walk dog, clean bathrooms, mow grass, shovel snow, and take out trash.
My hero ! Anyone who can rescue me from some scuttling arachnid is welcome at my house ! And I bet you , your American spiders are a lot bigger and meaner than our European ones !!!!

Hubby is not too fond of the wee beasties either but he realises that he has to deal with it or we simply have to move .... A spider un-dealt with is simply something which is too scary for words. I was bitten by a Black Widow age 4 and since then anything with eight legs is persona non grata wherever I am ...

We will be in New Mexico this fall and I am already starting to get palpitations about Black Widows...

I recommend this hilarious and very well observed sketch from comedian Phil Jupitus....Anyone scared of spiders will understand and empathise...

YouTube - Phill Jupitus -- Category 1 Spiders

YouTube - Phill Jupitus -- Category 2 Spiders & First Category 3 Sighting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships