Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:19 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
LOL. Just goes to show you how unnattractive that woman is. Still, never attack a fellow cd poster though. Im better than that.
Oh, you get pretty heated over in the HCG threads.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:20 AM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
I could easily feel oppressed and put down too because in our society young equals beautiful. Women my age (a mere 40) are portrayed as old, neurotic high-maintenance types, and the average man my age will offer up a lengthy list of why I am too old to date. That's life! Nobody gets a free pass when it comes to being judged and deemed unworthy in another person's eyes. I have to live with it and learn to love myself regardless, and find someone who wants and appreciates me for who I am... the alternative would be to go around complaining that gals younger than me aren't "real women," Now how stupid would that sound?
I agree again.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:22 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
I could easily feel oppressed and put down too because in our society young equals beautiful. Women my age (a mere 40) are portrayed as old, neurotic high-maintenance types, and the average man my age will offer up a lengthy list of why I am too old to date. That's life! Nobody gets a free pass when it comes to being judged and deemed unworthy in another person's eyes. I have to live with it and learn to love myself regardless, and find someone who wants and appreciates me for who I am... the alternative would be to go around complaining that gals younger than me aren't "real women," Now how stupid would that sound?
You're right. I don't like the terms "real man" and "real woman" either. They're just used to put others down.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:26 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb You Make Very Valid Points Here...However---

Quote:
Of course it does. And it applies to penis size too. And male height. And everyone's skin color. And sexuality. And the list goes on and on - I'm not responsible to list them all. I only comment on what I see when I feel like posting. The feelings of overweight women are the not the end all be all of bad feelings and biases. Everyone else has to learn to except themselves as-is, and understand that some people don't find you to be their cup of tea. Fat women don't get a pass on this.
I think Julia (who you originally replied to) has one too...in the 'circle' my wife and I run in, we have both overweight women carping about the slender ones, and at least a couple slender women who carry on like Julia spelled out, making their little nasty comments about their 'overweight' sisters...

And to be honest, BOTH sets of them get on my last nerve---the obese women raging on about how catty the slender ones are, all while chowing down on a massive portion of hot wings, then the slender ones behaving as though their bodily fluids don't stink or smell (being PC here LOL), and every man from 6 to 60 is lining up for miles to drink their dirty bathwater through a Krazy Straw, simply because they weigh a buck-o-three with change in their pockets...

Here's my point...both my wife and I are good-sized people (myself hovering around 270-275)...I'm diabetic, battling high blood pressure, and my wife has MS...we try mightily to take care of ourselves, by eating right, exercising, trying to make sensible life choices...we DON'T waste time worrying about what slender people may think of us, because we both know that if we don't get on track, our inattention to our health might prove fatal...

If you're overweight, to the point of being obese, then it's dangerous, and you need to seriously think about taking the weight off...don't play around with your life like that---it's too precious, and unless you believe in reincarnation, you only get one...and if you're slender, good for you, you (apparently) did make the right choices...but as Onglet said, you're NOT everyone's cup of tea, no matter how much the media flatters you with gauzy, flattering photo lens filters and fawning commercials

Old 06-16-2010, 08:38 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
I think Julia (who you originally replied to) has one too...in the 'circle' my wife and I run in, we have both overweight women carping about the slender ones, and at least a couple slender women who carry on like Julia spelled out, making their little nasty comments about their 'overweight' sisters...

And to be honest, BOTH sets of them get on my last nerve---the obese women raging on about how catty the slender ones are, all while chowing down on a massive portion of hot wings, then the slender ones behaving as though their bodily fluids don't stink or smell (being PC here LOL), and every man from 6 to 60 is lining up for miles to drink their dirty bathwater through a Krazy Straw, simply because they weigh a buck-o-three with change in their pockets...

Here's my point...both my wife and I are good-sized people (myself hovering around 270-275)...I'm diabetic, battling high blood pressure, and my wife has MS...we try mightily to take care of ourselves, by eating right, exercising, trying to make sensible life choices...we DON'T waste time worrying about what slender people may think of us, because we both know that if we don't get on track, our inattention to our health might prove fatal...

If you're overweight, to the point of being obese, then it's dangerous, and you need to seriously think about taking the weight off...don't play around with your life like that---it's too precious, and unless you believe in reincarnation, you only get one...and if you're slender, good for you, you (apparently) did make the right choices...but as Onglet said, you're NOT everyone's cup of tea, no matter how much the media flatters you with gauzy, flattering photo lens filters and fawning commercials
This post was fine until the last sentence... your insecurities about the physical appearance of you and/or your wife are shining through. The way you slipped in this put-down about gauzes and lens filters just makes you look jealous and threatened.

Old 06-16-2010, 08:43 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,958,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Oh, you get pretty heated over in the HCG threads.
Passionate is a much better word and much more accurate than "heated". Im passionate about health/fitness and helping others with their health. HCG diet is dangerous and I will ALWAYS be voice of reason and opposition when people try to peddle that poison/dangerous/unhealthy diet to unsuspecting CD posters who really and truly need help with losing weight and getting healthy. Same way as I care about children, I would get quite passionate in my response and opposition to those who may say its okay for children to run across the street on a red light or take candy or rides from strangers. People telling others to go on the HCG diet is just as dangerous.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:09 AM

Lightbulb Not So, He Says With A Smile...

Quote:
This post was fine until the last sentence... your insecurities about the physical appearance of you and/or your wife are shining through. The way you slipped in this put-down about gauzes and lens filters just makes you look jealous and threatened.
My wife and I are both very secure about our physical appearances...we are both dealing with medical issues (her MS, my diabetes), and as I said as well, trying to make right choices about our health...

Having said that, I don't know how you gleaned us being 'jealous and threatened' from my making a remark in regards to the media's (my opinion) constantly shoving a certain body type down everyone's throats...

We (my wife and I) have both slender and voluptuous celebrities and athletes that we find attractive...my main point there is, OK, show us Miley Cyrus, the Kardashians, Heidi Montag, Pamela Anderson, et al, as beautiful women---I get that totally...but give Jill Scott, Sherri Sheppard, Mo'nique, Niecy Nash, and other vouluptuous types, equal time too...as I said in a post upthread, life is like a buffet---you gotta admire ALL the food on the table...but the media should quit trying to browbeat everyone into thinking, say, Calista Flockhart, should be what every woman aspires to be, and what every man wants...I, for one, don't think that's true, and there are others here who may agree with me---and that's not being jealous or threatened, it's an (my) opinion

Old 06-16-2010, 09:19 AM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
My wife and I are both very secure about our physical appearances...we are both dealing with medical issues (her MS, my diabetes), and as I said as well, trying to make right choices about our health...

Having said that, I don't know how you gleaned us being 'jealous and threatened' from my making a remark in regards to the media's (my opinion) constantly shoving a certain body type down everyone's throats...

We (my wife and I) have both slender and voluptuous celebrities and athletes that we find attractive...my main point there is, OK, show us Miley Cyrus, the Kardashians, Heidi Montag, Pamela Anderson, et al, as beautiful women---I get that totally...but give Jill Scott, Sherri Sheppard, Mo'nique, Niecy Nash, and other vouluptuous types, equal time too...as I said in a post upthread, life is like a buffet---you gotta admire ALL the food on the table...but the media should quit trying to browbeat everyone into thinking, say, Calista Flockhart, should be what every woman aspires to be, and what every man wants...I, for one, don't think that's true, and there are others here who may agree with me---and that's not being jealous or threatened, it's an (my) opinion
The difference is in the put-down inherent in your "no matter how much the media flatters you" remark. Claiming "the media flatters you" and makes one look better with filters betrays your jealousy/insecurity etc. When you are comfortable with yourself, there is no need to put down others.

For instance: I have black hair, but you will never see me gripe about "no matter how much the media flatters blondes... " why? If I were to type that, I think it would be obvious that I am jealous. Because I would be! However because I love myself and my hair as-is so I don't feel the need to have a sour-grapes opinion of people different than me. I don't feel "oh no, another blond is shoved down my throat" when I see one on tv, and I don't whine that a blonde I see on tv is being flattered by camera tricks. That's sour grapes, plain and simple. (I can use age as an example too, as per my previous post. 22 year old women are celebrated as being the ideal, and 40 year old women are neurotic and over the hill. Don't see me whining about being "browbeated" over it. If you feel browbeated, that's on you.)

Once again, being overweight doesn't give you a free pass to jealously put down others.

Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 AM

548 posts, read 1,479,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Passionate is a much better word and much more accurate than "heated". Im passionate about health/fitness and helping others with their health. HCG diet is dangerous and I will ALWAYS be voice of reason and opposition when people try to peddle that poison/dangerous/unhealthy diet to unsuspecting CD posters who really and truly need help with losing weight and getting healthy. Same way as I care about children, I would get quite passionate in my response and opposition to those who may say its okay for children to run across the street on a red light or take candy or rides from strangers. People telling others to go on the HCG diet is just as dangerous.
Lao, I think your posts are much needed on the Exercise forum. Being passionate about health is a GOOD thing!

The video posted here has quite the conversation going!

Old 06-16-2010, 09:44 AM

Lightbulb OK...Let Me Get This Straight

Quote:
The difference is in the put-down inherent in your "no matter how much the media flatters you" remark. Claiming "the media flatters you" and makes one look better with filters betrays your jealousy/insecurity etc. When you are comfortable with yourself, there is no need to put down others.

For instance: I have black hair, but you will never see me gripe about "no matter how much the media flatters blondes... " why? If I were to type that, I think it would be obvious that I am jealous. Because I would be! However because I love myself and my hair as-is so I don't feel the need to have a sour-grapes opinion of people different than me. I don't feel "oh no, another blond is shoved down my throat" when I see one on tv, and I don't whine that a blonde I see on tv is being flattered by camera tricks. That's sour grapes, plain and simple. (I can use age as an example too, as per my previous post. 22 year old women are celebrated as being the ideal, and 40 year old women are neurotic and over the hill. Don't see me whining about being "browbeated" over it. If you feel browbeated, that's on you.)

Once again, being overweight doesn't give you a free pass to jealously put down others.
And once again, you miss my point...where do you get my being jealous from?

I very clearly stated that there are women of ALL body types that I find attractive, as a man...the 'browbeaten' part comes in when I feel that the media celebrates ONE body type more often than OTHERS...yes, I am overweight...yes also, I am trying to remedy that situation DAILY...but me thinking I have a 'free pass' to put down others? That's BS, and I'm sorry, you're very wrong about that...

I'm also sorry that you think that my overweight self needs to shut up, and not express an opinion about media coverage of body types, or anything else for that matter---you've got the wrong guy if that's the case...

I will stick up for obese people vs slender, if I think I can contribute something to the discussion...same as I will for slender vs obese, white vs black, black vs white, Democrat vs GOP, liberal vs conservative, Red Sox vs Yankees---you get the picture...I will lend my opinion WHEREVER and WHENEVER I choose, as long as I'm not committing a violation of City-Data TOS...and that's ALL it is---an opinion, MY opinion, NOT a 'free pass to jealously put down others'...in short, me being silent on this or any other issue is NOT an option
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships