Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 08:23 PM

563 posts, read 1,710,681 times

Advertisements

So I'm 29, and my dating policy has always been no sex outside of a committed relationship. I'm going to stick to it, because I think it's a good policy that keeps me from being used and avoids unnecessary heartache. But I was wondering what others thought about that or what your policy about sex is? And I'm interested in hearing from mature adults not college kids. Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 08:24 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,193,480 times
That's a good plan.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:47 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,989,319 times
Its what one is supposed to do when one is a grown up, and in a committed relationship!

Old 05-25-2010, 08:48 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,553,794 times
I think it's a good policy, and one I should probably adopt.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:58 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethearttx View Post
So I'm 29, and my dating policy has always been no sex outside of a committed relationship. I'm going to stick to it, because I think it's a good policy that keeps me from being used and avoids unnecessary heartache. But I was wondering what others thought about that or what your policy about sex is? And I'm interested in hearing from mature adults not college kids. Thanks

If this had been successful for you, I'd say: Stick with it!!!
Casual sex is really not for everyone. Especially when it comes to women as they are very emotional creatures.

I don't have a strong opinion either way. Whatever floats the boat. I've had some casual sex during my dating days, but I much preferred having it with someone whom I've a relationship with.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 PM

9,230 posts, read 16,541,693 times
If it works for you, that's great. I have no problem with not waiting. Some people may not want to be in a committed relationship. Should they go without? Nah.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:

This policy will serve you well - you are very smart! Sex with someone you are in love with is in a whole other league than just sex for physical pleasure

Old 05-25-2010, 09:10 PM

557 posts, read 1,353,010 times
Casual sex outside of committed relationships has only caused heartaches. Aside from a few random hookups that had no meaning, One 6 month "fwb" with a well-hidden crazy turned woman aout 5 years ago really hurt the most!. She lead me on and I was reeling over another broken relationship the year before, messed up.

All I can say is; moving to a new place; changing jobs; new start, new life, was what turned my life around. That included quit drinking and looking for girls.

Anyway hope some of this rambling helps! Only in bad times when esteem was hurting or depressed, did I indulge in those types of things!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 PM

944 posts, read 2,040,656 times
Quote:
But I was wondering what others thought about that or what your policy about sex is? And I'm interested in hearing from mature adults not college kids. Thanks
I probably wouldn't be considered a "mature adult" at 24, but then again I didn't act much like the typical college kid in college, so take it or leave it I guess.

I'd say my sexual behavior is close to that, but slightly less stringent. It's fair to say that I often sleep with someone before I'm in an explicit and well-formed long-term relationship with them, but it's almost always when that's where the relationship is headed (and has ended up 3 out of the 4 times).

That 4th time was the only "one-night stand" dead-end sexual experience I've had (there was no deceit, we both knew that's what it was from the start), which is not an experience I want to repeat because the emotional hangover from it was not at all edifying. Keep in mind 4 is the total number of sexual partners I've had, so we're not talking about a large pool of experiences here...I didn't need that many to discover that sex within a serious relationship is the way to go for me. Short-lived flings are overrated.

Last edited by Backliteyes; 05-25-2010 at 09:46 PM..

Old 05-25-2010, 09:43 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,176,172 times
Quote:
So I'm 29, and my dating policy has always been no sex outside of a committed relationship...But I was wondering what others thought about that or what your policy about sex is?
I think your policy is fine since it works for you. Freedom means freedom for everyone -- people should make their own decisions about their sex lives as they see fit. You have found something that is pleasing for you and that's good.

I'm now in my 40's. When I was single my policy was always no sex unless I know her/their first name(s)...or at least her/their stage name(s). My policy served me well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships