Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 06:52 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,574 times

Advertisements

No inbetweeners please!

Please refrain from "if it happens it happens, if it doesn't, it doesn't" or "I didn't want them, but then my little miracle came along" stories! hehe

Just the women who don't want kids. Tell me what life is like for you, how old are you? Do you get a lot of grief for your decision? Is there pressure from your family and friends? How do you deal with it?

Thanks

Last edited by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa*; 05-26-2010 at 07:04 PM..

Old 05-26-2010, 06:58 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,994,999 times
I never wanted kids until I met my current SO. My mom made snide remarks like "I guess this is the only grandbaby (my niece) I'll ever have so I better spoil her." Then she'd look at me. I just ignore her. No one else really ever bothered me about it.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:03 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I never wanted kids until I met my current SO. My mom made snide remarks like "I guess this is the only grandbaby (my niece) I'll ever have so I better spoil her." Then she'd look at me. I just ignore her. No one else really ever bothered me about it.
It's always the moms isn't it!

So you do want them now?

Old 05-26-2010, 07:50 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
51 here. Never wanted them. I didn't get a lot of pressure, the occasional "when you meet the right guy you'll change your mind." Um, the right guy won't want to have kids, and won't already have any.

Life is quiet. Just how I like it. It's simple, no complications other than the occasional car mishap. That's as complicated as I want it.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:01 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,670 times
I never wanted any kids...I was gonna stay single and free forever, with 2 cats and a dog for company.

Then I got married (twice) and had kids (4)!

Of course I love my kids to death, but if I had a chance to go back and do it all over again, I'd be lying if I didn't say I would most likely stick to my original plan. I miss my single, kid-free life...yes, I said it!

OTOH, it may be the fact I am 41 and have 3 kids under 6, when I am at the age when most people have their first grandchild.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
along with the ones that hate credit cards they are my favorite.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:13 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersgrl1969 View Post
OTOH, it may be the fact I am 41 and have 3 kids under 6, when I am at the age when most people have their first grandchild.
Most people have their first grandchild at 41??? My cousin just had her first baby at 42, my aunt had her twins at 41, and while my other cousin's wife is younger (35), he's 40 and has a 2-month-old son.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:23 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,493,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Most people have their first grandchild at 41??? My cousin just had her first baby at 42, my aunt had her twins at 41, and while my other cousin's wife is younger (35), he's 40 and has a 2-month-old son.

Yes, a lot of my old high school pals are celebrating the births of their first grandchildren. Their kids are in their late teens-early 20's.
My oldest son is almost 17, so technically, yes-I am old enough to be a grandmother.
(When he was born, my mother was my age-41, and he was her first grandchild.)
Having your first child in your early 40's is late in the game, IMO. Most people have their first child in their 20's.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:25 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Never wanted them. I think I said this in this subforum somewhere, but along with the ridiculous disproportion in household chores, the other reason I divorced my wasband is because of the kid thing. I told him from the get-go, when we met, that I didn't want kids, and reiterated my stance on the matter throughout our relationship. There was no way he could have misunderstood, "NO BABIES," and he went so far as to spit out the line, "I'm marrying you for you, not your uterus."

Yet there he was, two years into the marriage, dropping hints and trying to change my mind.

Best part is that the ink wasn't dry on the divorce for a year when he knocked up a person he was dating for only two months. They're married now, blah, blah, blah, and more power to them.

And now? Well, moot point. I'm 43, the matter has been taken care of quite thoroughly, and that's that. If my guy (who is 33) decides one day that he wants kids and a family, he'll have to go elsewhere. So far, however, six birds between us is plenty of ruckus for him. Also, whenever we go to a multigenerational function, without fail, less than two hours into it, he's grousing about a headache and shaking his head, "Nooooo."

Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,312,898 times
I'm 39. No kids for me, and I'm happy with that decision. I like living my life on MY terms, MY schedule. Wanna work late? No prob. Go to the movies in the middle of the week? Okay. Catch that e-Saver to NYC? Go for it. Leave your wet towels on the bathroom floor and ignore the laundry for a week? Why not.

Kids are great -- bless 'em! -- but they do tend to dominate one's life. I have no doubt they bring a lot of joy and satisfaction and lots of other good stuff to one's life, and that's part of their charm. It's not that I don't like kids. I do. But I just don't think they're necessary for feeling fulfilled as an adult, or specifically as a woman.

I don't get any grief from anyone -- friends, parents, etc. -- about my childless state. My friends don't have kids, either, and my brother seems to be taking care of the grandbabies. Me, I'll stick with dogs. They're cheaper, cleaner, funny, loyal, educable, and loving, and they don't require their own bedroom and tend not to talk back too much. (Unless you go for Siberian Huskies like I do. They talk back a lot, but that's part of their charm.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships