Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2010, 12:31 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I suppose that no one has the right to lead--that you can just go on directionless and get lost...

Let's just go on not making any decisions whatsoever and take things as they come.
A tootsie roll in someone's pants might qualify them as leader to some, but not all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
It would seem that if those men were satisfied, and willing to stay in the marriage, and the women were not, that the men placed more value on the marriage than those particular women did.
Case in point.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:55 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
A tootsie roll in someone's pants might qualify them as leader to some, but not all.
I didn't say men had the right to lead--but I guess there needn't be any leadership so you can get lost along the way and just take life as it comes. If you're self-directed, then why involve anyone else? Just stay single.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
It would seem many of "those men" have never been married.
Men whose wives file divorce against them have never been married?? If a man wants a divorce, wouldn't he been the one filing? But maybe he's satisfied with what he has, and doesn't feel the need to file. It seems that the women are the ones unsatisfied.

Old 06-01-2010, 02:35 PM

36,495 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Men whose wives file divorce against them have never been married?? If a man wants a divorce, wouldn't he been the one filing? But maybe he's satisfied with what he has, and doesn't feel the need to file. It seems that the women are the ones unsatisfied.
In response to Braunwyn's example of men on this forum that complain/agree that its the women that file for divorce thus women dont value marriage, yet many of those men making these statements have never been married.

And No. The one filing the paper work is not always the one that doesnt value the marriage.

Old 06-01-2010, 03:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't say men had the right to lead--but I guess there needn't be any leadership so you can get lost along the way and just take life as it comes. If you're self-directed, then why involve anyone else? Just stay single.
This is another good example. You don't get to decide the criteria of what comprises marriage for anyone other than yourself. Some folk do not marry to lead or to be led.

Quote:
That doesn't mean she doesn't value marriage. Just this past Sunday I was talking with my step-sister and she's in a world of trouble. For years her husband hasn't been able to hold down a job. He'll get let go or quit and then won't bother looking for work. They have two kids, a home, and they aren't making it. She threw him out last year and while he was on his own he worked and managed to survive. She takes him back, he loses the job, and now he's lounging around again. It's been going on for a good 7 years now. When they divorce she will have to be the one to do it and it will have nothing to do with her not valuing marriage. Although, you are correct in that in her case she's not satisfied and he probably is.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:04 PM

There can only be one captain of the ship. Someone to be ultimately responsible. If the ship lacks any sort of leadership, it ends up foundering on the rocks.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
There can only be one captain of the ship. Someone to be ultimately responsible. If the ship lacks any sort of leadership, it ends up foundering on the rocks.
Obviously, I disagree. She's certainly in charge of her contributions, but he doesn't give a hoot about his. That's why I don't buy the leader/follower position when it comes to marriage. Each person must carry equal weight, which translates as their own weight. I can't speak for other women, but for me nothing is a bigger turn off than a man that doesn't take care of his business. I couldn't respect a man that needs to be led.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:17 PM

She could lead, and he could follow--but apparently neither wants to lead, and that's why they lack direction.

If you jump in the car to go somewhere, and no one has any idea of the direction to go in, it would take a lot of luck for you to get there.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
She could lead, and he could follow--but apparently neither wants to lead, and that's why they lack direction.
I'm not sure what she should do to lead him to getting and keeping a job. I can't imagine a marriage working well without both carrying their own weight.

Quote:
If you jump in the car to go somewhere, and no one has any idea of the direction to go in, it would take a lot of luck for you to get there.
A better analogy is a mother walking through life carrying her kids with her husband straddled to her back. Who needs that? She should really kick him to the curb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships