Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 07:16 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I suppose that no one has the right to lead--that you can just go on directionless and get lost...

Let's just go on not making any decisions whatsoever and take things as they come.
Um, drama much? Our point is you don't have the right to lead just cuz you have a penie. Nor does that magically make you more qualified to lead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
I didn't say men had the right to lead--but I guess there needn't be any leadership so you can get lost along the way and just take life as it comes. If you're self-directed, then why involve anyone else? Just stay single.
You can self-direct as a team. I know that seems like a hard concept to grasp, but not wanting to follow someone else's orders or direction does obligate you to singlehood.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:34 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Um, drama much? Our point is you don't have the right to lead just cuz you have a penie. Nor does that magically make you more qualified to lead.
I didn't say it did. I said that ONE of the pair must lead--perhaps at different times, it will be a different partner, but only one can lead at any given time.

If you get in a car, and no one provides direction, you don't get anywhere. Someone must make a decision--beginning with starting the engine.

But, to address this--I do have a question. Do women like a "take charge" kind of guy, who will do the approaching? Because if that's the kind of guy they seek, they should not take offense when he wants to lead, to be in charge. For myself, I prefer to let HER lead--if you want to know the truth of it. All I'm there for is to provide the income.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'm not sure what she should do to lead him to getting and keeping a job. I can't imagine a marriage working well without both carrying their own weight.

A better analogy is a mother walking through life carrying her kids with her husband straddled to her back. Who needs that? She should really kick him to the curb.
Who said he had to have a job? Equality means she could support him instead. She could take the lead in financial matters. Earning income. But apparently she looks to him to do so?

Old 06-02-2010, 08:05 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,542 times
Not any more.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:01 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,419,035 times
Quote:
Who said he had to have a job? Equality means she could support him instead. She could take the lead in financial matters. Earning income. But apparently she looks to him to do so?
As I read it, she's looking to him to do something rather than nothing. That's not "taking the lead in financial matters," that's contributing to the household. It's not all or nothing. EACH partner has to contribute.

My marriage is not one in which one or the other of us leads all the time; we each have our areas of interest/expertise, and in those areas we tend to take the lead. It's constantly shifting, back and forth as the situation may require. It's definitely not all or nothing, and neither of us is the de facto "leader."

Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
As I read it, she's looking to him to do something rather than nothing. That's not "taking the lead in financial matters," that's contributing to the household. It's not all or nothing. EACH partner has to contribute.

My marriage is not one in which one or the other of us leads all the time; we each have our areas of interest/expertise, and in those areas we tend to take the lead. It's constantly shifting, back and forth as the situation may require. It's definitely not all or nothing, and neither of us is the de facto "leader."
I've never asked a woman to work--and none of the women I have been in relationships in the past did work. You can survive on one income.

As for the other, I agree, neither has to be the de facto leader, it can shift--as I also said. And actually, I prefer to let HER lead. But women who seek out a "take charge" kind of guy should not be surprised if he wants to lead ALL the time.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:52 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
Are you drunk? Sorry, that's not what equality means. Keep trying, tho.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:56 AM

If a man is capable of supporting his wife, then a wife should also be capable of supporting her husband.

Plain and simple. I happen to prefer to be the one earning the income, but only one of the two need work outside the home.

Old 06-02-2010, 10:59 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,188,190 times
Quote:
If a man is capable of supporting his wife, then a wife should also be capable of supporting her husband.
Neither of them, in this case, are capable of supporting their family on their own. As I noted intially, they aren't making it.

Quote:
Plain and simple. I happen to prefer to be the one earning the income, but only one of the two need work outside the home.
If the goal is your life style, I suppose. No thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships