Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 05:55 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Yes, I did make assumptions from what you had posted. I think I am right based on your response. I stand by my post on pity for your husband. And if you do not like be categorized in that fashion than do not be a materialistic/ me first person. Heck, buy your husband the Porsche (If he really wants one) when you are doing great financially. What is the purpose of being married if you do not want to make the other happy?

Thank deity I do not have to put up with the likes of you miyu or skeet09. You give women a bad name.
I stand by the fact that your opinions are pretty worthless because you had made the wrong assumptions to start with. I'm not materialistic, which is why I refuse to buy a luxury item for somebody else. You can't buy love with money, nor engender happiness in another person by buying the most expensive gift in the world. That is a truly materialistic idea which you seem to endorse. Methinks that you are the one who is materialistic.

I believe that you have to earn something that you want badly so that you can truly appreciate it. You don't go around begging or hoping that your spouse will buy it for you, just because the money is there. That's how you get the spoiled rich brats of the world.

Some women give themselves a bad name by being spineless, giving men whatever they whine for, or for being materialistic. Thank God this is the only type of woman you will get!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
I would actually be interested in suicide if my future was in shambles and I could no longer work nor pay for my own existence. But then again I'm not most people.
Yea, that's the point. Before it becomes so dramatic why not save?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:54 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,776 times
Quote:
I stand by the fact that your opinions are pretty worthless because you had made the wrong assumptions to start with. I'm not materialistic, which is why I refuse to buy a luxury item for somebody else. You can't buy love with money, nor engender happiness in another person by buying the most expensive gift in the world. That is a truly materialistic idea which you seem to endorse. Methinks that you are the one who is materialistic.

I believe that you have to earn something that you want badly so that you can truly appreciate it. You don't go around begging or hoping that your spouse will buy it for you, just because the money is there. That's how you get the spoiled rich brats of the world.

Some women give themselves a bad name by being spineless, giving men whatever they whine for, or for being materialistic. Thank God this is the only type of woman you will get!
Nice philosophy and advice to children. It is also irrelevant. You are not raising your husband and installing ethical values in him. If he does not have them, that is a different matter. However you mentioned in your first post that he pretty well takes care of the household stuff now and also has provided a good income. Whether are not he paid for your education I assume he supported you in many ways during your acquiring of it. That may be a wrong assumption though you seem to indicate this.

Some women, and thank Zog not all, once they start making more money than their spouse they feel entitled to start controlling them. Not to mention looking down on them as being less of a provider. You come across as one of these types. After all, you are so assured in your rightness.

As for women I will get, I could make up all kind of stories about all the fabulous rich gals that heaped wealth on me at every turn through out my long life. However I grew tired of the things of the world and now prefer poor women that care about me. Even if all they can give is undying love and emotional support. Too bad you do not quite understand that money is just a means to a end. You can not take it with you.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:48 AM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,807 times
Women are always willing to tell me they want to just love me and just be with me; whenever I have enough money.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:59 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Nice philosophy and advice to children. It is also irrelevant. You are not raising your husband and installing ethical values in him. If he does not have them, that is a different matter. However you mentioned in your first post that he pretty well takes care of the household stuff now and also has provided a good income. Whether are not he paid for your education I assume he supported you in many ways during your acquiring of it. That may be a wrong assumption though you seem to indicate this.

Some women, and thank Zog not all, once they start making more money than their spouse they feel entitled to start controlling them. Not to mention looking down on them as being less of a provider. You come across as one of these types. After all, you are so assured in your rightness.

As for women I will get, I could make up all kind of stories about all the fabulous rich gals that heaped wealth on me at every turn through out my long life. However I grew tired of the things of the world and now prefer poor women that care about me. Even if all they can give is undying love and emotional support. Too bad you do not quite understand that money is just a means to a end. You can not take it with you.
Well I asked my husband tonight out of sheer curiousity and he agreed with me on how we would manage our finances. He also doesn't think he should be entitled to have luxury items even if we do have money for it, regardless of who earned it. So I guess it's a moot point since we both have the same values. Also we took care of each emotionally during our education, so it is equal.

Until I actually start looking down on people who don't deserve it, I will be pretty satisfied with my righteousness. I am also highly aware of the dangers of money and what it can do to your soul so I'm always on guard not to become a controlling person. You seem to look down on women who would like an equal and financially responsible partner as somebody who seeks control. I completely disagree that it is a control issue. You also realize that people can also control others emotionally, physically. Not just financially. You don't need to be rich to be a control freak.

I hope that you are buying your poor female friends some nice things. It seems like you enjoy being a dominant male, which I am sure some women don't mind.

I plan to use my money to create a legacy. I know I can't take it with me. But that's really no reason to spend it randomly or to support a useless consumer culture.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:03 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I'd be surprised if most people are interested in suicide. Planning for the future is probably a more reasonable approach.
It's a plan--it's not for everyone, but I don't see a point in being at a point where I would have to depend on someone else. If I can't do it for myself (like earn an income), then there's no point in continuing. I didn't say everyone had to operate that way.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It's a plan--it's not for everyone, but I don't see a point in being at a point where I would have to depend on someone else. If I can't do it for myself (like earn an income), then there's no point in continuing. I didn't say everyone had to operate that way.
Huh, I could have sworn you dated a woman that was receiving disability.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:30 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
As long as a guy contributes 50% to the relationship I think there is no reason to be intimidated. But definitely have some respect for her earnings, don't think that you have a right to own luxury items unless you can buy it with your earnings.
Wow. This...*sigh* This is why this thread exists in the first place. This yours and mine mentality. Why can't it be everyone bringing in their share to the marriage and it's everyone's money, everyone's house, everyone's kids, everyone's dog, everyone's household chores/responsibilities (though men historically and even today fall short here)...?

I am the one bringing in 6 to 10 times the money and I wouldn't buy a luxury item without discussing it with my spouse. In fact, my spouse is usually the one telling me to treat myself. Similarly, just because my spouse makes less money does not mean I don't have to clean the house, take care of the family, etc.

You know, we all have a common goal here...happy, healthy, successful families. But if we're all too busy playing 'yours, mine, and ours,' you'll never get there.

Old 06-03-2010, 06:33 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
I say he did earn it by being an equally contributing member of your family. Or are you still raising your husband and he has these 'lessons' to learn?

Old 06-03-2010, 06:44 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And when I can no longer work, it will be time to do the honorable thing. Retirement by Smith and Wesson.
And your spouse ... what will she do for money, now that you are not alive and working? Or is the Smith & Wesson a package deal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships