Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2010, 06:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times

Advertisements

And?

Those women still weren't paying their own expenses. Whether it was welfare, or it was a family member, someone else was doing it. Not them.

Were I to have a daughter, I would not want her to work either. She would be my responsibility until she was married to some guy, whose responsibility it would then be to take care of her.

The posts you quote simply indicate the double standard prevalent in today's society. She should not be supporting him--the way I see it. She shouldn't even have a job--her job is taking care of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 06:39 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And?

Those women still weren't paying their own expenses. Whether it was welfare, or it was a family member, someone else was doing it. Not them.

Were I to have a daughter, I would not want her to work either. She would be my responsibility until she was married to some guy, whose responsibility it would then be to take care of her.
As I said earlier, it's easier said than done. I don't know how you can be so adamant with this position when you've never done it yourself. Talking the talk and not walking the walk. You don't know how difficult it is to support another human being. It's not just rent/mortgage, but food, clothes, health insurance, meds, transportation, etc. And not all families can have one spouse living on the public dole. The tax payer can support some households, but not all.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:51 AM

Four out of a dozen women is not "never doing it myself". Didn't I point out that it was four? Three lived with their parents, and one lived with her sister. I wasn't counting the one on welfare, but when we were married she had no income. At all. No SSI, no welfare. She and I lived together in a home I paid for and ate food I paid for--and all I asked of her was to take care of the house and feed me once a day.

My ex-girlfriend didn't start getting her disability checks after we were no longer a couple--and even now, since I make twice the amount she does, I pay 2/3 of the joint bills--instead of what some people here would suggest, 50%! She is nothing more than a room mate now, and that's something different. I'd prefer that she moved in with her boyfriend, and let him support her instead. That would be the advisable thing.

As far as buying them clothes--if I don't buy MYSELF clothes, why would I have to do it for someone else? Hmm? The only things I've had to buy for either of us was shoes--though I did buy clothes for the girlfriend who was getting disability payments, but didn't get a dime of it from her parents.

Old 06-05-2010, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
It's not just rent/mortgage, but food, clothes, health insurance, meds, transportation, etc. And not all families can have one spouse living on the public dole. The tax payer can support some households, but not all.
Food--yes, we both eat, so I would pay for both if she was living in a house with me.

Clothes--I don't buy myself clothes--I can wear the same things I had 10 years ago. So can she.

Health insurance--I don't have it, I don't believe in doctors.

Meds--there is no need for meds. Healthy people don't need medicine.

Transportation--while the girlfriend with the bad back HAD to have a car, and so found some way of saving up the money for one, I don't find it necessary to do anything more than walk.

What else?

Old 06-05-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Food--yes, we both eat, so I would pay for both if she was living in a house with me.

Clothes--I don't buy myself clothes--I can wear the same things I had 10 years ago. So can she.

Health insurance--I don't have it, I don't believe in doctors.

Meds--there is no need for meds. Healthy people don't need medicine.

Transportation--while the girlfriend with the bad back HAD to have a car, and so found some way of saving up the money for one, I don't find it necessary to do anything more than walk.

What else?
I could walk up to you, put a large cardboard box over your head for shelter and throw a bucket of KFC at you and state I'm supporting you. It doesn't mean a whole lot. Frankly, if you're not going to do something well, why bother doing it at all? Supporting another human being so that they thrive is no easy feat.

And I don't see how you can claim that health insurance is something that's unnecessary when you stated that your girlfriend had cancer and IIRC your wife had mental illness (some other thread). Them having to rely on the tax payer for those things is not synonymous with you supporting them. If anything, it's those of us with jobs paying taxes that are caring for your spouses.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:33 AM

They didn't have health insurance either...

I guess all those people out there drawing Social Security are busy living off your money too?

No one needs to "thrive"--"surviving" is quite sufficient. If it's good for me, it's good for anyone else.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:56 AM

Quote:
They didn't have health insurance either...
If they were on welfare/SSI, yes they did. They had insurance provided by the state, mostly likely medicaid.

Quote:
I guess all those people out there drawing Social Security are busy living off your money too?
People pay into SS. People on welfare/SSI disability are a different matter.

Quote:
No one needs to "thrive"--"surviving" is quite sufficient. If it's good for me, it's good for anyone else.
No, if it's good for you does not mean it's good for anyone else. If a human can thrive, they should. Anything less is half ass. People that do not thrive can be a drain on society.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:06 AM

People never pay into SS as much as they get out, so...again?

Good enough, is good enough. Let's leave individual personalities out of it. Maslow says that a person needs food and shelter--and can survive with nothing more.

Just because you are not thriving doesn't mean you're asking anyone for anything. That totally goes against who I am. I don't expect help, and I've never gotten it in my life--not even as a kid. Went hungry a lot of nights.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
People never pay into SS as much as they get out, so...again?
Again, what? I don't understand what you're saying. People that pay in little get little. People that pay in a lot get more. It's true that for some, maybe even many, that they don't pay in as much and the tax payer is footing the bill.

Quote:
Good enough, is good enough. Let's leave individual personalities out of it. Maslow says that a person needs food and shelter--and can survive with nothing more.
Again, it will be those that thrive that pay for those that just survive in the long run. Your spouses being the perfect examples. Those that don't pay as much into SS being the perfect example. How you do not realize this, I don't know.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:13 AM

People who collect Social Security get more out than they ever paid in.

I'm simply surviving, but I earn a paycheck to pay for my own survival. When I stop earning a paycheck, it will be time to end it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships