U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 08:05 AM

3,687 posts, read 4,693,523 times

Advertisements

Don't antlers drop annually anyway? Except among reindeer, the tiniest of the cervines?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 08:10 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,384,073 times
U.S.: You'd know this better than me. But I've heard some antlers are hopelessly permanent. Though they can grow bigger, I guess.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:13 AM

2,412 posts, read 6,823,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
A lot of wimps in my culture still accept dowry My father didn't, I'm not going to, neither will my brother

I'm not trying to be a chauvinist, but there is a reason children get the father's last name. It's how the world works. Some men can stomach the emasculation, those with antlers can't
"There's a reason children get the father's last name...It's how the world works"

You obviously need to learn more about the world, because while it may be true that some people "work" that way, and that children are customarily given the father's last name in many cultures, it is also true that many others don't "work" that way and that in some cultures the naming of children follows a very different custom.

It is likely true that greater emphasis is placed upon male earning power in many poor, retrograde societies where deeply illiberal social traditions have stunted economic, social, and scientific development for ages, resulting in untold amounts of human misery. Thankfully, the U.S. is not one of these societies. Your statement simply confirmed that which your thoughts on a relationship partner revealed: a close-minded, hidebound, and biased mindset. Sadly, such cramped thinking is not uncommon among some backward people.

Last edited by professorsenator; 05-29-2010 at 08:27 AM..

Old 05-29-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
U.S.: You'd know this better than me. But I've heard some antlers are hopelessly permanent. Though they can grow bigger, I guess.

TERRIBLE, Red! Still, you know what they say: Good for the goose, good for the gander.

For the record, many people tend to interpret that saying backward.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:20 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,506 posts, read 18,949,156 times
I have a male friend whose wife makes almost double what he does and he does very well himself so it's not an issue. Just the same, his dad ridicules him because his wife makes more than him. I don't get it.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
For the record, many people tend to interpret that saying backward.
Maybe that's because antlers are seen as phallic, too. In a strange, twisted way.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Maybe that's because antlers are seen as phallic, too. In a strange, twisted way.

What can I say? You know from my posts and PM's that I'm about 60 percent misanthropic and the remaining 40 percent... well, I liked your description regarding alcoholic beverages.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:33 AM

44,255 posts, read 59,061,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Guess I'm old fashioned. That would be emasculation for me Sorry to all ye Mr.Wife's out there

I think a better, more interesting question would be WHY it is emasculating.

What about you being a man is threatened by a woman making more money than you?

And why is it only emasculating if it is a woman you're in a relationship with? Why not every woman who makes more than you do?

Old 05-29-2010, 08:35 AM

I remembered an amusing story about antlers, but the mods would probably delete it, anyway; we are getting seriously off-topic, though I admit I started it. Mea culpa, mea culpa.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:17 AM

19,059 posts, read 23,705,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
And why is it only emasculating if it is a woman you're in a relationship with? Why not every woman who makes more than you do?
Great question. I hope he addresses it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships