Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 12:12 AM

84 posts, read 157,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron.
1. Stuck-up, snooty women who think they are God’s gift to men. With the tons of e-mail they get from hopeful suitors, they acquire both swelled heads and a wildly unrealistic opinion of their market value in the dating world. Women like this are clearly suffering from what I call ‘Princess Syndrome’. A characteristic symptom of the malady is having a stringent laundry list of ‘requirements’ and ‘standards’ few men could ever hope to meet.

Absolutely true. Even God won't do.

2. Attention junkies.

True.

3. Gold-diggers. No explanation needed here!

Absolutley true. Match.com has LOTS of them. OKCupid too. Look at match.com profiles in desired income of partner.

4. Professional daters who, sucked in by the endless choice online dating appears to offer, keep looking for the Bigger, Better Deal. Ad nauseam. Scratch a professional dater, and you’ll likely find someone with a serious fear of commitment lurking underneath. The type of woman mentioned in (2) above often fits into this category.

That I don't know for sure.

5. Teases who get off on rejecting men for sport. These women should have a big “L” branded in their foreheads – “L” for “Loser”, of course.

Possible. No evidence found.

6. Desperate single mothers. If you ever see a profile where a woman says, “My children mean everything to me”, RUN! This is code-speak that means a woman is basically married to her children, and if you get involved with her, you’ll find that you rank dead last. Right down there with Fido, if you’re lucky.

Absolutely true. Maybe they should have used their brain before their vaginas opened and they wouldn't be single mothers of 3 or 4 kids.

7. Russian/ Eastern European women or women from other foreign countries where poverty and crime is rife. Probably half of these women are allied with fraudsters seeking to fleece lonely men.

True. Seen a few at OKCupid.

8. Drunks, druggies, other assorted psychopaths.

That I don't know.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76
9. Women that don't turn heads and need to scour the dregs online who will settle for the likes of them. Often a combination of 2 and/or 6 above.

True...

10. Women who are successful in their careers and are generally a good catch, but for whatever reason don't have time for dating so they resort to looking online. The drawback for dating these types of women is they are typically married to their jobs first and foremost and making time to see each other is at best a chore.

One woman at OKCupid I chatted for a while. She kept having all these work-related trips. I could tell she was married to work. No thanks.
Online dating sites have proved to be worthless crap. Even the free OKCupid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 11:11 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
I think you just have to approach dating sites with a grain of salt and not rely on them as your sole option. I also think pay sites aren't any better than free ones.

I think a minority of both sexes screw it up for the majority of sincere, decent people on dating sites. Also, folks go onto those sites with so much expectation(after all, what's more over-romanticized than romance itself?) that they quickly get jaded and start generalizing about the opposite sex on those sites.

I view it sort of like job hunting. I've seen plenty of seemingly great jobs(women) advertised where I match or exceed every single requirement. I upload my resume and invest a fair amount of care into a cover letter(intro email) tailored to that specific job. I send it off and I get either crickets chirping or a rejection. I actually prefer a rejection but I don't fire off a letter begging them to hire me. And I certainly don't write an angry letter about how bad the company sucks and how I would never work for them in a million years anyway. I move on to the next job posting that looks interesting and appears to be a good fit for my particular skill set. It's a bit unromantic to look at it in that way but it's about the closest parallel i think can be drawn about online dating.

Sometimes I have better luck letting them come to me but I'm sure I miss potentially compatible women by not actively searching. You just have to grow a thick skin or develop a lot patience with humanity. I say the majority of both men and women on dating sites are decent people but sometimes you run across someone who reinforces a stereotype or sometimes you actually read too much into a certain situation.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:16 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
It really depends on where you live and your age. In the regions of the country like where I am (Appalachia) there is a lack of decent single ladies so online dating can be a very frustrating experience....so can dating in real life. I've noticed online and in real life both a lot of the age 28+ single/never married/no kids women are serial daters that are holding out for Mr. Perfect to come along. If you don't match all 100 things on their checklist...you aren't considered dating material. Also a lot of them are career women which is fine...but it sort of goes along with my first point. Also I don't mean to offend anyone but a lot of the women that use online dating are out of shape physically. All in all my experience has shown that if you don't live near a major city....good luck, you'll need it.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 PM

2,412 posts, read 5,083,846 times
At my age unless you date formerly happily married widows/ers, and even then, you might be dealing with a psychopath, you are in fact, dealing with somebodies cast off. Always be mindful of that FACT! All the great ones are ALREADY in a long, happy, relationship!

Warning sign A..they want you to hate their EX. He was an axemurder, he was abusive, he was a prick...hmmmmm what were YOU doing with all these axemurderer's, abusers, and pricks?

Old 11-03-2010, 07:55 PM

550 posts, read 1,637,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
It will always be the same. The people that have no luck, are the people that diss the online dating.

When I opened myself back up to the idea of dating, after my son turned 12, (5 years ago) I realized that it was waaaaayy different than when I was 20. I did the round of the clubs, and while I totally enjoy live music, I met very few guys that were relationship material. Many were drunks, and just looking for some tail. Yeah I went out with a few, and other than a couple of young guys that were not much more than "ships in the night" (although they had some mighty fine rigging! ) I realized that I was mostly wasting my time. So for a while I just got into the music, and stopped looking. But even that got old, fast. I did date a guy from my gym for a short while, but that fizzled quickly.

I had some friends that praised online dating - they had met their SO's their. So, my girlfriend and I decided to try match, as a lark. She gave up after a month, but I stayed. I've had several relationships since then as a result, and I would say that I have been "in a relationship" more than "out". I've become quite the fan of online dating, because it just works....for me. I truly believe that you get out of it, what you put into it.
Thank you. I appreciate this... my brother meet his wife at match maker dot com and my cousin my his second wife through yahoo personals... it does work, I've seen it work.

I threw a profile up on a site which is more of a hook up site than anything, in my opinion at least... plenty of fish... I found what I was looking for there, a rebound relationship which last several months.

I'm not looking for a relationship right now... but when I'm ready to do that again, I'll definitely join an online dating site. I'm thinking a site where you pay a little something is a little more legit than the freebie site where I found my rebound relationship.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 PM

37,611 posts, read 45,988,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaulEastSider View Post
Thank you. I appreciate this... my brother meet his wife at match maker dot com and my cousin my his second wife through yahoo personals... it does work, I've seen it work.

I threw a profile up on a site which is more of a hook up site than anything, in my opinion at least... plenty of fish... I found what I was looking for there, a rebound relationship which last several months.

I'm not looking for a relationship right now... but when I'm ready to do that again, I'll definitely join an online dating site. I'm thinking a site where you pay a little something is a little more legit than the freebie site where I found my rebound relationship.
Funnily enough, I decided to check out the POF site, even though I'd been quite content with match. I met my current (wonderful!) beau there...so I can't dismiss that site at all.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optiflex View Post
At my age unless you date formerly happily married widows/ers, and even then, you might be dealing with a psychopath, you are in fact, dealing with somebodies cast off. Always be mindful of that FACT! All the great ones are ALREADY in a long, happy, relationship!
I agree I get into debates about this with people but I think as a guy you are way better off finding someone when you are in your 20's. I tell every guy that I know that is younger if he has a good woman..to make sure he hangs on to her because it only gets harder later in life. It gets very hard for a guy once you hit 32 or so because a lot of women have been snagged up by the time they are 25 or so and have children by the time they are 27. I very rarely meet single women in their late 20's onward without children...they are already married and have been for sometime.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Funnily enough, I decided to check out the POF site, even though I'd been quite content with match. I met my current (wonderful!) beau there...so I can't dismiss that site at all.
POF isn't a good site for men at all I have some experience on that site. The ratio of men to women is heavily skewed in favor of women. Women that are serial daters love the site because there are so many men on it they can get a date lined up with a different guy for every night of the week.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:14 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I also think pay sites aren't any better than free ones.
I disagree. If someone's willing to pay a membership fee, that tells me they're probably more serious about meeting someone.

Quote:
I think a minority of both sexes screw it up for the majority of sincere, decent people on dating sites. Also, folks go onto those sites with so much expectation(after all, what's more over-romanticized than romance itself?) that they quickly get jaded and start generalizing about the opposite sex on those sites.
I definitely agree with this part. The folks who lie or play games are the ones who give the whole thing a bad image. I also agree that people have unrealistic expectations and when they don't find what they're looking for, they become jaded and cynical about online dating and the opposite sex.

Quote:
I view it sort of like job hunting. I've seen plenty of seemingly great jobs(women) advertised where I match or exceed every single requirement. I upload my resume and invest a fair amount of care into a cover letter(intro email) tailored to that specific job. I send it off and I get either crickets chirping or a rejection. I actually prefer a rejection but I don't fire off a letter begging them to hire me. And I certainly don't write an angry letter about how bad the company sucks and how I would never work for them in a million years anyway. I move on to the next job posting that looks interesting and appears to be a good fit for my particular skill set. It's a bit unromantic to look at it in that way but it's about the closest parallel i think can be drawn about online dating.
This is an excellent analogy and one I've used as well. It may not be romantic, but it's a great way of looking at it. But in both types of searches, people do have a tendency to take rejection a bit too personally.

Quote:
I say the majority of both men and women on dating sites are decent people but sometimes you run across someone who reinforces a stereotype or sometimes you actually read too much into a certain situation.
And unfortunately, if you go in looking for people who fit the stereotype, you'll find them. And it just reinforces whatever negative bias you may have already had.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I've noticed online and in real life both a lot of the age 28+ single/never married/no kids women are serial daters that are holding out for Mr. Perfect to come along. If you don't match all 100 things on their checklist...you aren't considered dating material.
I think online dating tends to attract these people since it gives them even more options to choose from. But the problem with having lots of choices is that you can get away with being choosier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I think as a guy you are way better off finding someone when you are in your 20's. I tell every guy that I know that is younger if he has a good woman..to make sure he hangs on to her because it only gets harder later in life.
I agree that it gets harder as you get older, but I disagree that a person should snatch someone up while they're still in their 20s. I think deadlines like these backfire. The person marries in their 20s and then ends up divorced, possibly with kids in their 30s. I look back at my 20s and, even though I'm still single in my 30s, I'm glad I didn't get married back then. I underwent a lot of changes in my 20s and almost everyone else I know in my age group did the same. People still change in their 30s, but the changes are far bigger in your 20s. Committing your life to someone when you're still going through a lot of changes is asking for trouble.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:16 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,634,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
There are exceptions, but the above is the rule from what I and my friends have experienced. I'd add the two more types:

9. Women that don't turn heads and need to scour the dregs online who will settle for the likes of them. Often a combination of 2 and/or 6 above.

10. Women who are successful in their careers and are generally a good catch, but for whatever reason don't have time for dating so they resort to looking online. The drawback for dating these types of women is they are typically married to their jobs first and foremost and making time to see each other is at best a chore.
I don't really think #10 is a bad thing personally. Anyone I actually respect is going to put career first, so I like to find girls who are very career-oriented and don't want to hang out constantly, which I don't have time to do either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships