Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 03:28 PM

418 posts, read 1,381,678 times

Advertisements

In fact the ONLY thing I ask him to do on a regular basis is mow the yard. My yard is about 2 ft tall if that tells you how much he does it. I try bugging him, I try saying nothing. I try protesting by not cooking, cleaning or doing laundry. I try talking to him. NONE OF IT WORKS. He works a very demanding job with long hard hours so I try to be understanding............to a point. I have offered to mow and he says no. I am unemployed so at this point hiring someone isn't an opition. When I ask him when he'll do it his answer is "when I feel like it." I have gotten to the point were I am going to report my own yard to the city because it just makes me sick to look at it. Our neighbors have already mowed 3 times to his once. Our yard is an eye-sore. Does any one else have this issue????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 03:34 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,322,977 times
Why do you have to ask him if you can mow the yard? Do you think I would allow my house to look like it belonged on the "Adams Family" than to get outside and cut it? You've acknowledged he has a demanding job, you are not working right now...what's up with asking....just do it and be done with it.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:34 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerlady View Post
In fact the ONLY thing I ask him to do on a regular basis is mow the yard. My yard is about 2 ft tall if that tells you how much he does it. I try bugging him, I try saying nothing. I try protesting by not cooking, cleaning or doing laundry. I try talking to him. NONE OF IT WORKS. He works a very demanding job with long hard hours so I try to be understanding............to a point. I have offered to mow and he says no. I am unemployed so at this point hiring someone isn't an opition. I have gotten to the point were I am going to report my own yard to the city because it just makes me sick to look at it. Does any one else have this issue????
What work around the house -- other than (not) cutting the grass -- does he do? You recognizes that he works long and hard outside the home -- if he helps in other ways around the house then I'd say that you should just let it go...it's obviously a chore he despises; hire a lawn guy. If, OTOH, he doesn't do anything around the house at all, then a "come to Jesus" meeting is necessary and you need to come to an agreement on sharing the household chores. That may still involve lawn guy if it's something he REALLY hates. But the key is that you share in the workload.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:39 PM

I tried doing it once and yelled at me saying "it was HIS job". Plus we don't have a flat yard its a very hard yard to mow. We live in the country and have an acre, a very hilly, oddly shaped acre. If I lived in the city with a flat fenced in yard I would have no problem doing it. He fell in love with the house and I told him we could live here under the agreement he would have to take care of the yard. I did it all the time before we moved here. I have even threatened moving back to the city if he doesnt start. We have a great relationship, this is only issue we have.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:42 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,322,977 times
Quote:
I tried doing it once and yelled at me saying "it was HIS job". Plus we don't have a flat yard its a very hard yard to mow. We live in the country and have an acre, a very hilly, oddly shaped acre. If I lived in the city with a flat fenced in yard I would have no problem doing it. He fell in love with the house and I told him we could live here under the agreement he would have to take care of the yard. I did it all the time before we moved here. I have even threatened moving back to the city if he doesnt start. We have a great relationship, this is only issue we have.
Tell him if he doesn't mow it you will be forced to buy some goats!

11,865 posts, read 16,993,938 times
Just mow the damn yard. If he yells about it being his job, then tell him to DO IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by professorsenator View Post
What work around the house -- other than (not) cutting the grass -- does he do? You recognizes that he works long and hard outside the home -- if he helps in other ways around the house then I'd say that you should just let it go...it's obviously a chore he despises; hire a lawn guy. If, OTOH, he doesn't do anything around the house at all, then a "come to Jesus" meeting is necessary and you need to come to an agreement on sharing the household chores. That may still involve lawn guy if it's something he REALLY hates. But the key is that you share in the workload.
Once I go back to work I will so hire a lawn guy!! I was laid off in December and have been looking for a job.
And he does NOTHING else around the house. I grocery shop, take out the trash, cook, clean, take care of the dogs, do laundry, do a large spring cleaning etc, etc, etc.
Edited to add-I did all these things plus go to school full time and work full time before I was laid off. And Im sure will conutine doing them when I go back.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:44 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,940,556 times
Just do it. If he really wants to be the one doing it, he'll do it next time.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Tell him if he doesn't mow it you will be forced to buy some goats!
I should rent some goats!! LMAO

Old 05-29-2010, 03:48 PM

2,412 posts, read 7,175,042 times
Quote:
Once I go back to work I will so hire a lawn guy!! I was laid off in December and have been looking for a job.
And he does NOTHING else around the house. .
OK, so this is the problem. The problem is NOT that he doesn't do the yard...it's that he doesn't do ANYTHING.

So you need to sit down and calmly state that you need him to share in the household duties. Reach agreement on chores that HE will do and ones that YOU will do. The jobs will not be divided equally -- your chore list will be longer; you have more time on your hands. But he does not get a free pass just becasue he works hard; he has to chip in and help with the chores because a relationship involves sharing of responsibilities. If necessary, draw up a chore chart identifying who does what and put in on the fridge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships