Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 01:27 PM

78,418 posts, read 60,593,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I actually think it's kinda sexy for a cute guy to be into video games at a level that's not detrimental (casual gaming), since I love gaming myself.
LOL. *Cute* Doesn't fit the description of most male gamers I know.

Then again, you are probably talking xbox crowd and not the PC or board gamers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 01:38 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
I think there is a time and place for video games. I just happen to think those times and places should be during your school years at home and the dorm/apt. Maybe it has alot to do with the fact that I have a teenage son who plays video games and just don't find it very "adult".

It would be a turn off for me but then again, I'm not of the "gamer" generation.

I did have fun with my Atari 2000 when I was about 12-13.

Old 06-01-2010, 04:46 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ladies what is your opinion of men that entertain themselves with video games?
Well, if they don't want to limit their options they should be okay with it.

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2010/05/...age_gamer_old/

Quote:
...the average age of gamers is 32 while avid PC gamers and offline PC gamers are 42 on average...
EXTREME GAMERS SPEND TWO FULL DAYS PER WEEK PLAYING VIDEO GAMES

Old 06-01-2010, 09:37 PM

78,418 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Maybe it has alot to do with the fact that I have a teenage son who plays video games and just don't find it very "adult".
Seriously, that's a rather odd statement. Should I shoot animals, hit a little white ball or drink beer while stuffing fried foods in my face on the couch while watching other men run around on TV? lol.

In the course of this week in my liesure time I will play games, go see Wheezer in concert, take my kids to see Iron Man II, run, lift weights and drive my sportscar around like a maniac a little bit....oh, and watch some PBS special that just came on netflix.

Don't fall into the pit of generalization that this forum epitomizes with all the bashin threads.

Isn't life about new experiences? You have to be around my age...don't fall in a rut and just do the same things all the time!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:14 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Ladies what is your opinion of men that entertain themselves with video games?

More than a couple of hours a week, it would be a problem for me.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMyTree View Post
I'm a male and I snicker everytime I hear a 40 year old....30 year old ....20+ year old male (or female) talk about they're so deeply into video game playing. Cracks me up.

Sorry, but it's silly to me.

I hear ya - it's one thing for the college age crowd to play 3 or 4 hours a day. But past that, I think "loser" when I hear of guys doing this.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:31 PM

396 posts, read 732,522 times
I'd rather date a gamer than someone obsessed with sports, hanging out in bars and getting sloshed, desperate to watch NASCAR races or who spends 5 hours a night planted in front of the TV.

I like gaming... I'm female, and I'll be 40 next year. So do my partners. It's something we're able to do together more often than not... it's rare one of us is interested in a game the others are not. We're all anxiously awaiting Blizzard's release of Diablo III and will probably spend several months playing it each evening after work/other responsibilities are met.

To me, that's a lot more enjoyable than plopping our asses down in front of a TV and sucking down a bag of chips while the boob tube broadcasts advertisements into our brains.

But it's like any other hobby... you do it in moderation, you don't let it consume your life, you don't let it isolate you from your relationships, etc.

My little town is on one of the main roadways leading to the Michigan Speedway... and I will take gamers over the drunk, arrogant and obsessed rednecks who pull their gas-guzzling trucks towing over-sized trailers they don't actually know how to maneuver without hitting other vehicles into the local grocery store parking lot so they can load up their coolers with beer and crack a few open in the parking lot to get sloshed before driving to the race track.

They spend every single weekend dragging their screaming kids and miserable wives all over the country in pursuit of watching some other guy drive around a big circle for hours on end.

But that's an "acceptable hobby"... heck, they consider it a "lifestyle."

Old 06-01-2010, 10:35 PM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I hear ya - it's one thing for the college age crowd to play 3 or 4 hours a day. But past that, I think "loser" when I hear of guys doing this.
Yeah, I pretty much agree, I'm working on not being judgmental and allowing people to do their thing, but yeah, any guy that spends that much time playing vid games is the mayor of loserville.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:02 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
The wasband played them to the neglect of his household contributions. My current guy will have his brother and buddy over a couple of times a month for a gamer night, and at other times, if he's bored, he'll log on. Big diff.

He actually got me a Wii. Little does he know that all of this working out I've been doing lately is really just to kick his arse at Wii Boxing. Oh, yes, MUAH, ha, ha, ha, ha!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 AM

51 posts, read 154,864 times
DH will get a new game and play it obsessively for a few weeks, neglecting everything else in his life, until he beats the game inside and out. It's annoying when he does it, but he only gets a new game a few times a year so it's not all THAT bad.

However, we have a friend who has literally given up his entire life for video games. Almost as if it were drugs. He dropped out of high school and was living with his grandma who would buy him games as they came out and he had a spate of part-time jobs here and there for which he would use all of his earnings on computer or video games. His grandma died and left him a house, a car, and $50,000 in life insurance. He spent the next four years pissing away the money on every new game that came out as well as other foolish purchases (not to mention pizza or take-out for every meal) until the money finally started to run out. He stopped having trash service come to the house so he started having to keep trash all around his house in bags piling up. They turned his water off, which didn't really matter because he didn't shower and all he drank was coke anyway. Finally the electricity was shut off which meant no more games, but he talked his neighbor into letting him run an extension cord to his outside outlet so he could plug in his power strip and fire up the computer, TV, and Xbox. He was sure to pay the cable bill, though.

Five years ago he was a 20-something year-old kid with $50,000 in his pocket and a house and car (a mustang convertible, no less) to his name. Now he's just a pathetic specimen of human being. It's sad, really. I'm not sure who feeds him or what but I think the only thing that would keep him from ending up on the streets is that you can't play your games on the streets--you need a roof over your head in one way or another, so he'll either end up pulling it together enough to keep a job or he'll be some unfortunate soul's much smellier Kato Kaelin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships