Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 04:30 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
OP, that guy sounds like what we British refer to as a "KNOB!" (all the Brits can laugh at this one).
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Heh, I've heard the word "jockey" following that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Oh yeah, we laughed at that one...it became our favorite words at home for awhile (my husband is British).
"He's just a big knobhead, with no knob." ~ Bridget Jones' Diary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 06:29 PM

78 posts, read 72,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaOfGrass View Post
"He's just a big knobhead, with no knob." ~ Bridget Jones' Diary
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, there's no "K" in the word "nob". It's just "nob"

Old 06-03-2010, 05:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
A dying breed I feel , the Gentleman , never mind the English kind !

I always think of Bertie Wooster, a perfectly turned out nice but dim chap , chivalrous and always willing to help...

YouTube - Oh By Jingo - Jeeves and Wooster ( Hugh Laurie and Fry )

YouTube - Hugh Laurie ~ Jeeves & Wooster *Minnie the Moocher*

YouTube - Jeeves disapproves

YouTube - Jeeves and Wooster - Puttin' On The Ritz

YouTube - What ho?

YouTube - Hugh Laurie-The Sophisticated Song

Another perfect example of a British Gentleman is " Hastings" in Poirot .

I see a few ( welcome) relics of this glorious near extinct species when I go to my local Polo club but they are getting fewer and far between. Men who open doors for you, pull your chair in a restaurant, are always dapper, polite and courteous, never swear, self effacing, self deprecating, etc...

To me a gentleman is not about class and "breeding" but about an attitude . A gentleman is someone who treats all with respect and is as courteous to a flower girl as he is to a duchess ( as Elisa Dolittle would say) , someone with a sense of honour and duty, kind and thoughtful, selfless and thinking of others before thinking of himself. A pretty rare bird indeed !

I am afraid to say that the average British man is nowadays pretty much as described by other posters, binge drinker, anti-social, ill mannered and ill behaved, badly dressed, rude and has no idea has to treat a woman ! There are exceptions of course but binge drinking is the norm here.

Chavs are the national trait rather than gentlemen.

Bring back the Gentleman !

Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 PM

19,423 posts, read 15,236,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ12345 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, there's no "K" in the word "nob". It's just "nob"
Well, I saw it spelled both ways, but after reading the only definition I could find of "nob," and knowing the definition of "knob," and how that word could be applied (without getting too graphic ), I figured "knobhead" fits best. Again, trying to keep it PG13.

Could you adjust my grade at least half a point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I always think of Bertie Wooster, a perfectly turned out nice but dim chap , chivalrous and always willing to help...
Haha, I love Jeeves & Wooster. I actually thought of Jeeves as more of an English gentleman, although he is actually Wooster's valet. And Jeeves might not always be as "polite" and "courteous" as one would like.

What ho? >
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships