Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 10:27 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Ok, ok I get it. Basically I have no hope of ever being accepted into a Jewish religious community, even if I lived by their rules and shared the same moral values... damn my bloodline. :P

To return to the OP's question, I guess the answer would be... tell the hypothetical person in your hypothetical situation... DON'T DO IT!

Well, I don't agree with that - when someone converts and is very serious about living the Jewish faith I think other Jews have a lot of respect for that and DO accept that person.

You just can't expect to date a Jewish man without being Jewish yet yourself and expect his mother to be happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 10:29 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,385,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Well, I don't agree with that - when someone converts and is very serious about living the Jewish faith I think other Jews have a lot of respect for that and DO accept that person.

You just can't expect to date a Jewish man without being Jewish yet yourself and expect his mother to be happy!
They do. I know someone who converted into Judaism after a dedicated journey. Whether or not she is happy following this religion remains unknown.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Don't worry. I'm not accepted by a Jewish religious community either. I'm
a "damned outcast who believes in false Messiah".
I was just about to ask you about this

When you married your Italian (Catholic?) husband was there any guilt on your part, even just a tiny bit, that you were letting the whole Jewish community down?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
I was just about to ask you about this

When you married your Italian (Catholic?) husband was there any guilt on your part, even just a tiny bit, that you were letting the whole Jewish community down?
Well, it was a little bit different for me, because I was agnostic when I married him and didn't really belong to a Jewish community. My dad loves my husband so he was happy that I found someone who loves and cares for me so much. I think he always wished for a Jewish husband for me, but it just didn't work out that way.
I didn't feel any guilt, because I didn't personally believe in what Judaism has to say about this whole thing.

I was pissed when after me being married for 6 years or so, my good friend told me that I screwed up the Jewish bloodline. That all my ancestors before me were 100% Jewish and I screwed it up. I told her to "f**k off" and she never forgave me for that.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Well, it was a little bit different for me, because I was agnostic when I married him and didn't really belong to a Jewish community. My dad loves my husband so he was happy that I found someone who loves and cares for me so much. I think he always wished for a Jewish husband for me, but it just didn't work out that way.
I didn't feel any guilt, because I didn't personally believe in what Judaism has to say about this whole thing.

I was pissed when after me being married for 6 years or so, my good friend told me that I screwed up the Jewish bloodline. That all my ancestors before me were 100% Jewish and I screwed it up. I told her to "f**k off" and she never forgave me for that.

Not defending your friend (it wasn't any of her business) but did you at least get the point she was making? I understand that Jewish bloodline is very important to most Jews.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:39 PM

52,274 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:

It is attitudes like that that really turn me off to organized religions. People should spend more time actually walking the walk and not being so judgmental.

Being pious seems to be the norm for a lot of people who practice any religion.

No offense to those who don't act like this.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Not defending your friend (it wasn't any of her business) but did you at least get the point she was making? I understand that Jewish bloodline is very important to most Jews.

I understood her point, but I just got confused with the timing. This whole time, through the engagement, wedding, marriage, she was near by. It made me think that she was thinking this the whole time and dissaproving and never said anything. She chose the worst most vulnerable time to bring this up to me.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
I understood her point, but I just got confused with the timing. This whole time, through the engagement, wedding, marriage, she was near by. It made me think that she was thinking this the whole time and dissaproving and never said anything. She chose the worst most vulnerable time to bring this up to me.
Oh, that sucks

Sounds kind of two-faced for sure!

Old 06-01-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
It is attitudes like that that really turn me off to organized religions. People should spend more time actually walking the walk and not being so judgmental.

Being pious seems to be the norm for a lot of people who practice any religion.

No offense to those who don't act like this.
What killed me is that she was one step away from doing the same thing. She was heavily involved with a non-Jewish man for years and they almost got married. It never crossed her mind that it would be wrong for her bloodline.
Suddenly now that she got married to a religious Jew she felt the need to pass judgements.

Thanks Chow.

Old 06-01-2010, 10:49 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Sorry, sounds like a terrible friend. :P Can't always blame the religion for a person's behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships