Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Have him buy a can of mint Skoal or Copenhangen and a spittoon. Next, take a wad, place between the gums, salivate, than spit in front of the wife - that ought to send a message.
Nah, a newfound affinity for dutch ovens would be just as good, without wrecking his teeth.

Of course, if there's a lit cigarette nearby, that could be the end of them both.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 09:38 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Depends on the habit.

Picking up smoking, however, would be a serious, serious strain on a relationship for me. I watched my grandmother die of emphysema, and my mother die because her smoking led to congestive heart failure and a perforated ulcer, and I'd be damned if I would ever stick around and watch a spouse commit slow suicide the same way.
Yes, because kissing a female ashtray is so attractive. What's with people's preoccupation with "cancer sticks"? If you want some nicotine, go wear a patch and stop polluting the enviornment.

Old 06-03-2010, 09:40 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,998 times
Quote:
Nah, a newfound affinity for dutch ovens would be just as good, without wrecking his teeth.

Of course, if there's a lit cigarette nearby, that could be the end of them both.
Got a better solution - but you might give her a heart-attack. Buy a tin of "loads" at a novelty store, stick the loads in her open pack of cigarettes. The very next time she lights up, "BANG" - the cigarette will explode. That will really send a message.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:04 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Quote:
I watched my grandmother die of emphysema, and my mother die because her smoking led to congestive heart failure and a perforated ulcer, and I'd be damned if I would ever stick around and watch a spouse commit slow suicide the same way.
There's hardly a smoking-related forum that someone doesn't include a ho-hum paragraph like this.

I'm waiting, waiting, waiting...............................to listen some new tunes.

New tune: My grandmother was left a quadriplegic from a near-fatal car accident. Too lazy to walk to the bus stop that day and wean herself away from that self-destructive, suicidal habit of driving a car.

Another tune: My mother died from congestive heart failure due to destructive eating habits.

Yet another: My father died from lung cancer, never smoked, lived a life isolated from other smokers, but lived in L.A. where breathing in the air there is the equivalent to smoking two packs of cigarettes a day.

One more: My 82YO uncle smoked up until his last day with no health problems whatsoever, except his vision. One day, he was off to the corner store to stock up on cigarettes, and was run over by a drunk driver.

Anyone else want to add some new tunes?

Old 06-04-2010, 05:05 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times
If he really finds it repulsive he could simply tell her he can't stand being close to her anymore and will maintain at least a 6 foot distance from her lovely but smelly body.
Then it's up to her what to do about it.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:29 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,081,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Yes, because kissing a female ashtray is so attractive. What's with people's preoccupation with "cancer sticks"? If you want some nicotine, go wear a patch and stop polluting the enviornment.
If they're not blowing smoke in your face, what do you care what others do to themselves?

OP-ultimately, it is her decision alone to stop smoking. He can tell her how he feels about it but the choice is hers.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:23 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
That would be a dealbreaker.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
I think I would be very angry if my SO did this. Your friend should put up pics everywhere of sickly people when they have a disease, yellow teeth, tar filled lungs, die at a early age, die from a heart attack, smell, and house has a layer of smoke on the walls.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:58 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
I hate to be a shyt head but, smoking would be a real deal breaker for me. And the reason is, my wife would know how I feel about it. If she goes ahead and starts the habit of smoking she knows what she is doing and what kind of trouble it will cause our relationship. That being the case, she is saying our relationship doesn't matter. If it doesn't matter to her, then it shouldn't matter to me either. Smoking is a serious thing, I don't know of anything that harms your body more than smoking. To go a bit father, there is smoking cigarettes, and smoking cigars. Most people don't inhale cigar smoke, so their body doesn't suffer the damage it would if they inhaled. The only thing cigar smoking does is make you stick and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth and bad breath. Inhaling smoke like most cigarette smokers do is harmful to your lungs, heart, and veins. So in my book, the mate that smokes cigarettes will stink until they die and their medical bills will be higher than they would be otherwise. Am I over thinking this? Maybe, if stress really was the cause of taking up the habit of smoking, you could just set them down and talk them into sucking their thumb instead...

Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
You mean to replace an addiction that smells of smoke with another that smells of sweat...?
Exercise is not an addiction and the smell of sweat can easily be remedied by showering and throwing your clothes in the washer. I work with smokers and always smell smoke on them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
If they're not blowing smoke in your face, what do you care what others do to themselves?

OP-ultimately, it is her decision alone to stop smoking. He can tell her how he feels about it but the choice is hers.
No one has suggested that the choice isn't hers. But the choices people make reflect their priorities. In this case, she's willing to continue smoking despite knowing what it's doing both to her health and her relationship with her husband.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships