Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:32 AM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Since we are talking about technology....

"There are known "knowns." There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we do not know we don't know."

This quote is true....

It applies here in the sense that is the effects of tech, on our lives..... in the last 30 or 40 yrs, technology has really changed our lives, how we interact, and how we view the world, it shapes our perceptions.

I just look at young teens, and how they interact via texting and FB and all of the other ways... twitter....etc etc.

It to me, seems a little cold and distant. Just look at some of the topics here on CD.

"I texted him twice and he has returned my text, does he not like me anymore."

"She IM's me and didn't even leave a smily, I don't know if she's serious or not."

It's exhausting, and trust me, I'm no Luddite, I love tech, it's my job......
True. That's why I think they are more social awkward and no common sense. They're really not living life, not behind computers or phones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2011, 12:43 PM

31,006 posts, read 22,045,160 times
When people say the 70's were more simple I'm laughing my ass off. It was the decade of free love and sexual exploration with people screwing each others lights out while high on LSD. Herpes, the Clap and every other STD was running rampant. I know that was not the entire population, but a lot.

Prior to that you were expected to stick to your mate no matter what! Abuse, alcoholism, drugs it didn't matter, staying married was all that mattered. Yep it was simpler back than!

Old 03-19-2011, 01:27 PM

3,573 posts, read 6,472,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
When people say the 70's were more simple I'm laughing my ass off. It was the decade of free love and sexual exploration with people screwing each others lights out while high on LSD. Herpes, the Clap and every other STD was running rampant. I know that was not the entire population, but a lot.

Prior to that you were expected to stick to your mate no matter what! Abuse, alcoholism, drugs it didn't matter, staying married was all that mattered. Yep it was simpler back than!
It sure was simpler back then and you can laugh your ass off but we had alot of fun and it was more social. Uh, duh, free love and sexual exploration...that's why we were having the time of our lives!

Old 03-19-2011, 02:29 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,386,514 times
"When people say the 70's were more simple I'm laughing my ass off. It was the decade of free love and sexual exploration with people screwing each others lights out while high on LSD."

Um... you've got the wrong decade. You're talking more specifically about the 60's and even then, it's a gross and inaccurate generalization. I was a kid in the 70's and almost no one took acid and fewer still were screwing each other's lights out day and night. Sure, if you were Rod Stewart or Warren Beatty, but not normal teenagers.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:10 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,833,752 times
dating always sucks. doesn't matter what century you're in

Old 03-19-2011, 03:36 PM

174 posts, read 239,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donie1 View Post
It sure was simpler back then and you can laugh your ass off but we had alot of fun and it was more social. Uh, duh, free love and sexual exploration...that's why we were having the time of our lives!
I was a teenager in the 70s and it was a wild time. Steve Miller, Aerosmith, Ripple, Boons Farm, Coors beer and easy guilt free se. Then came Aids and and it all went away, EXCEPT Aerosmith..Those dudes are going to Rocking in 2030

Old 03-19-2011, 03:53 PM

19,609 posts, read 12,206,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docaholic View Post
I was a teenager in the 70s and it was a wild time. Steve Miller, Aerosmith, Ripple, Boons Farm, Coors beer and easy guilt free se. Then came Aids and and it all went away, EXCEPT Aerosmith..Those dudes are going to Rocking in 2030
Yes but the 80s were pretty cool too, just a little more conservative. People still talked on the phone and went on real dates.

Old 03-19-2011, 04:36 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
For me personally, I was a kid back in the 90's and things seemed so much simpler in terms of communication. Before Facebook, Myspace and high end cell phones, I remember when everyone had to call each other through land lines in order to get connected and meeting up with each other was much more cherished and meaningful. People also didn't seem so afraid of meeting up face-to-face and having more confrontation (confront in a good way) to resolve and discuss things. As opposed to today, where everyone is so used to just texting over their cell phones or posting messages through Facebook to discuss stuff which in my opinion is fine for small things but for seriously discussions, its so impersonal and superficial I guess you can say. Since you can't tell exactly the tone of how the person is speaking and things can be taking completely of of context, like how they are on these message boards sometimes with people being so easily offended.

I

Old 03-21-2011, 12:45 PM

817 posts, read 810,834 times
For my kind of thinking and commitment to relationships, and my abhorrence to something as shallow and pointless as online dating or messaging on Facebook, I should have been born perhaps 10-20 years ago, but there's nothing I can do about it.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:53 PM

817 posts, read 810,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedhazedamazed View Post
everything changed in the mid 90s i believe. YES dating was easier before then. i'm sorry to say MOST (not all) women i've encountered are into looks and money ONLY. what's inside isn't as important as superficial shallow attributes. God forbid you are disabled-and have a limitation on your earnings--this makes it nearly impossible to find a woman who understands and accepts ya. gosh is there this sense of entitlement among young ladies--even older ones. and i'm sorry to say--most men can send out 1000s of emails to ladies for online dating --and if they aren't rich--or blessed with looks--it's normal to receieve NOT a single email back. courtesy these days is dead--as is morals. very interesting topic. dating has changed. i can say from experience that i was never ever without a date up until the late 90s....and then things started shifting--and everything became about one thing only--------IMAGE-LOOKS-SUPERFICIALNESS--MONEY -
I have to totally agree with you on this one, it's been my observation that most women these days would rather stick to a guy who looks good with all the fake gimmicks, and is a jerk that doesn't give them any importance than to give someone with a better attitude and who has a degree of respect for them. This is esp. true of online dating, while I haven't been on paid sites like match.com or eharmony.com since I assumed that they won't work anyway based on some of my friends' feedback, I have observed that most women on websites like plentyoffish.com or okcupid.com are there just for their ego boost from all the messages they receive and not serious about finding out a REAL man, or are perhaps looking for that elusive PRINCE that matches their extremely unrealistic and impractical demands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships