Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:00 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,309,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
Guy 1 if he is being attacked by a woman (no weapons, just hands/fists) would try and hold her wrists to stop her, but never hit her back.

Guy 2 if he is being attacked by a woman (no weapons, just hands/fists) would hit her back to stop her then argue that if she can do it, he can too.

YES YES I know no healthy relationship involves physical violence, but the question is hypothetical.

A few months ago one of my best (male) friends told me he hit a girl in the stomach because she refused to leave his house. He had struggled to get her to leave for hours beforehand until he finally lashed out. I have been uncomfortable around him ever since, but he keeps saying if she can do it, what was I supposed to do? I just want to know more opinions.
I don't believe in physical violence of any kind be it man or woman. However, people need to use common sense. If you are in a heated situation and you won't be able to control your temper, leave. In the situation with your friend, I would have called the cops if she refused to leave, that simple. He was wrong to resort to physical means to remove her from the apt.

Just because it CAN be done by either sex, doesn't make it fair game us to feel like we can beat the crap out of one another. It's wrong. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,956,604 times
Also, I think it is a little naive but very noble for us to believe that no one should ever have to endure violence, man or woman. That is a delusional outlook that doesnt operate within the constructs of the real world in my opinion. In the real world, due to the nature of competition for mates/conquest, male against male violence is a constant and a fundamental necessity for what we consider advancement. Not one nation in existence was founded without bloodshed, mostly the bloodshed of weaker men and the subsequent subjugation of their women. And both conquest and many inventions were the result of men seeking superiority to their peers and a greater domain.

So men vs. men violence is always going to exist and ultimately it is necessary. Some men are fit, others are weaker but it will still be inevitable. But the kink in the cord came whereby women started trying to be regarded as men; yet only when it was convenient for them. It certainly has its benefits, but the only problem is that realistically, when it comes to physical violence, women need a protected status. This usually comes through the proxy of such codespeak as: "Violence against anyone, man or woman, is wrong"...well, both civilization patterns and nature tells us otherwise. That is merely an attempt to dilute the standards of competition, and make males into the same creatures of protected status that females are, without acknowledging that females are protected for a reason. Violence against males is necessary and affordable to humanity. Violence against females is a slippery slope that ultimately leads down a path to extinction. This aspect is nature, not ideology.

Last edited by solytaire; 06-08-2010 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-08-2010, 09:15 AM

550 posts, read 1,212,485 times
Well it depends... If you've ever had a fight with a woman who is a competing boxer, you'd know that you can't just stand around and take it or the girl is gonna knock you out...
This happened to a friend who got into a brawl with some guy outside a bar, the other guys girlfriend came and hit him, he wouldn't strike back, after which she knocked him out after a few punches...

In general, I'd say someone who makes the first move should count on getting the same treatment back, though personally I don't think I'll ever go past blocking/keeping her from hitting whatever the girl is trying to hit...

Then there is the special cases:
If she were to use some kind of weapon on the other hand, then I'd go all out or run for my life depending on what weapon it is and if I have somewhere to go...

If she slaps me in my face as I'm making a verbal argument, I would slap her right back and continue the verbal argument, simply to show how annoying face-slapping is.

So far in my life I've only ever had to slap my mother, but thats because she has a bad habit of slapping me when I don't agree with her on a topic she finds important, even if the arguing haven't even broken out yet...

When It comes to other women I've never even been close to a physical fight, though I have blocked women who've tried to hit eachother...

Old 06-08-2010, 09:16 AM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,161,092 times
sometimes you gotta choke a *****

Old 06-08-2010, 09:17 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,682,871 times
Bottom line is this. As long as the laws enforced (or as one poster properly stated) practiced there will ALWAYS be a double standard when it comes to women and physical violence towards men. They (women) can be the victims of said violence (WHICH UNDER ALL CIRCUMSTANCES IS WRONG), yet they can also get away with striking men and face little or no consequence for their actions. WARNING: What I too am about to write will not sit well with some. Men are expected to have this "thick skin" and walk away from ANY and ALL physical confrontations involving women. Women can say and do anything when they are upset and although everyone can agree that the behavior is not conducive to a healthy relationship, their gender gives them the unwritten "pass". If a man does so much as to even respond VERBALLY (I.E. call her the "B or C" word) he could still face some type of penalty for (WORDS). How? Again refer to how the law is "enforced or practiced" depending on where you live. The only safe "right" answer for men (to avoid legal) action is to walk away from the volatile situation. For some men this solution is easier said than done.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:26 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,001,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Shouldn't be any question about how someone should react in situations where there treatened with assault or an assault occured. Another person made a demeaning remark, what ever the list of excuses or gender are unimportant, there are no defenses ifs ands or buts.

You remove yourself from the situation, whether it includes calling 911 or taking a drive in your car, staying with a friend or Shelter for Domestic Violence, what ever the particular situation calls for.

Why this topic is debated this way is beyond me.

The topic is debated this way because it's not as clean and simple as you'd like to pretend.

Sometimes -- and I'm going to guess what I'm about to say will have NO sway over your thinking, but -- sometimes it's just wrong to let the bullies have their way.

So a woman is at your house and refuses to leave, escalates her refusal to violent levels.

You call the cops.

In the meantime, because you're refusing to touch her to defend yourself you're left with the ONLY choice of departing your own domicile because "violence is wrong".

So the cops come, eventually. Domestic disturbance is one thing, sure, but the question of how quickly authorities will respond is always open to question.

Meanwhile she has access to your house, which you departed. I know a lot of women who would take that as license to tear a place apart, locking you out since you stepped out anyway.

So the cops arrive and remove the person; maybe it's easy, maybe it isn't. Maybe she refuses and they have to kick the door in since you left quickly, forgetting your keys on the counter.

Lots of maybes, lots of potential directions... but you avoided violence.

Now you have to take the time to press charges. You have to take the time to go to court, possibly hire an attorney yourself depending on her story. The legal system fails to make sense about half the time anyway, so who knows where he said/she said could lead?

If she went psycho and tore your house apart, you also have to take the time for litigation in pursuit of damages and reparations -- more court time and costs on YOUR part. That's two separate trials. Maybe you win, maybe there's not any way to recover your costs because she doesn't have anything anyway and one cannot squeeze blood from a turnip.

Thing is, it's one HECK of a lot of time and expense because "violence is wrong" and you were forced to take the high road, meanwhile allowing a bully to have their way even if only for a while.

It's not a question of whether violence is right or wrong in and of itself; obviously a less violent way is better. But it does bring up the question of having one's hands tied enough to make defending one's home nigh impossible.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:27 AM

I find it funny how people go with the cliché "I don't believe in violence under any circumstances"

If you've ever been attacked by 2 people(muslims...) becuase they believed you were the boyfriend of their not so innocent sister, knowing that you are unable to outrun neither of them, this kind of thinking goes riiiight out the window :P

Same goes for being robbed by young wannabies who are obviously not experienced in using their knives(in example holding it with their thumbs along the blade, nervous body language etc)...It's not like you wanna hand over your wallet and phone if you know you can take them...right?

etc

Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 AM

3,424 posts, read 5,956,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceguy89 View Post
If she slaps me in my face as I'm making a verbal argument, I would slap her right back and continue the verbal argument...

So far in my life I've only ever had to slap my mother, she has a bad habit of slapping me when I don't agree with her on a topic she finds important, even if the arguing haven't even broken out yet...
This whole thing was funny.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:43 AM

It is also increadibly irritating...besides having a big red hand print in your face gives you a few looks while you walk the street afterwards...

Old 06-08-2010, 09:46 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,313,573 times
I was raised to not hit a woman, no way, no how, ever.

Once, in high school, I dated a girl and we had a fight at a party. She decided to turn her diamond ring around, and slapped me with it. I still have a scar to this day, quite small though.

I was madder than a hornet, but I just picked her up, sat her down, and told her not to move. I went and cooled off.

Thats probably as close as I've ever come to hitting a woman. Well, other than my sisters, and I beat the hell out of them every chance I get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships