Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Imagine growing up in a home, where you literally got on your knees to your Father to "request" if you could do something "daring" like, skip chores, to attend a church function with other teenage girls.

Then, after you wrap your head around that....live a lifestyle where women literally did not speak, unless spoken to. Adult women. I grew up in Southern Utah, a small community called "Hildale", on the Arizona border. Look it up. That is a society that defines submissiveness in women.
Wow.......just, wow.
I guess you are not going to answer the question I asked you twice yesterday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2012, 08:03 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,357,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Don't be so obtuse. You really think women these days don't think they are equal to men? Feminists these days, especially younger ones simply don't advertise their beliefs because they are normal, acceptable and part of our every day society.

You are obviously just burying your head in the sand to believe otherwise.

Oh and by the way, our Fathers have nothing to do with whether we are feminist or not so cut the pseudo-psychology garbage. You aren't good at it and it makes you appear as if you're reaching for straws.
I have an awesome relationship with my dad. He's actually the one who taught me growing up that I should always be independent and able to take care of myself. He doesn't have a problem considering women as equals, and he's be happily married for over 50 years.

Old 03-12-2012, 08:47 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,275,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I stay at home. I cook for my husband, wash his clothes, clean the house, take care of our children
A real traditional woman, nice .

Quote:
BUT I still need my hobbies, my alone time, my space or else I feel suffocated
That's right. Every married man/woman will need some time for that.

Old 03-12-2012, 09:08 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,791,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I stay at home. I cook for my husband, wash his clothes, clean the house, take care of our children BUT I still need my hobbies, my alone time, my space or else I feel suffocated. I love him and want him in my life. I would even lay down my life for him but I'm still myself and have my own wants and needs- some of which he can't fulfill. As for obeying him or anyone- I don't think so.
I will always appreciate a the Old Fashion values. I feel it takes a stronger woman to utilize said lifestyle this day and age.
Some call it obeying others call it agreeing. In a relationship each member Obey or agree(S).

Old 03-12-2012, 09:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post

What if she expects you to pay all the bills, always be the initiator.etc?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:14 AM

499 posts, read 580,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
Let me guess, you support slavery too because gee whiz, religion condones that as well

Who gives a flying fart what religions endorse. The fact of the matter is women are free now, deal with it. Ya don't like it...go live in a third world country where they still subjugate women.
Well said!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 AM

1,754 posts, read 2,467,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What if she expects you to pay all the bills, always be the initiator.etc?
And always pay for dates and not want her to give him flowers?

Old 03-12-2012, 09:30 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post

Traditional right now and at different times in our marriage . He has always been the main bread winner but when things feel tight I do go to work. Right now I have finished all my hours to become a LMT and I'm studying for the state board test. When I get licensed I will go to work but still very part-time since we homeschool the kids. Chores will be divided up a little bit more when that happens. It's always a little dramatic whenever I go back to work because we get so used to the way things were before but we always work it out. Plus, I can't wait to start massaging again. I love having people come to me in pain and then helping them feel better. A lot of the other classmates complained constantly during internship but it was my favorite part of school.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:32 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I actually view "submissiveness" as almost a personality disorder, dependent personality disorder, or a "fetish", bizarre as it sounds, it is almost like a sexual thrill to be completely submissive. The further it goes, the more twisted it gets.

It is not easy to have a trait like this, believe me. I needed therapy for a long time to actually realize how enmeshed I was in making my husband happy. It was classical "co-dependence".

I am this way, it is "wired". I accept it. Same as having blonde hair, or blue eyes. Have I changed? Maybe I am less submissive than I used to be.
I dont understand why or how you defend and even promote the idea of women being submissive to men while at the same time describe this behavior as a disorder that needs therapy.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
I think that if a person is this way, it is okay, if they are in a relationship, and comfortable with this. I defend it, because that is how I think. But, there is nothing wrong with looking at it as a pathology, if it affects your entire life, which is what happened to me. Sure, I can be submissive in relationships...but when it affects your professional life, that is an issue. I can't be that way at work, that is for sure. I was also unhappy for a long time, thinking that I was responsible for my husband's happiness or unhappiness. I did everything I could to make him happy, and he was still miserable. At some point, people need to take responsibility for their own happiness. Having a wife who tries to do everything to make a husband happy, and he is still miserable, made me miserable, like I was not doing enough for him. Once I let go of that...things were much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships