Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 08:57 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman

“God is good all the time. “

Whenever I see this I think of :
'It came about, when Pharaoh was stubborn about letting us go, that the LORD killed every firstborn in the land of Egypt, both the firstborn of man and the firstborn of beast.

I just cant see why god would not just twist Pharaohs arm until he let the Hebrews go.
Even killing pharaohs child was an absurd thing to do when the Pharaoh was the problem.

I know there are some who believe in god that do not believe he is good all the time.
I’m just amazed at the ones that do…
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifertexan View Post
The obvious answer is that God did not do this,or tell the Jews to kill people.The Jews used God's name to attempt to put divine favor on themselves as a nation.

Surely people who don't believe in a god don't believe that God actually did these things?
You are correct. We do not believe any god did those things.
I sometimes state things in a way to trigger a response. Hope that doesn’t upset you to much.

Last edited by Aeroman; 06-09-2010 at 09:32 PM.. Reason: Maybe its word shock therapy , hoping it will jar someone to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 09:00 PM

1,301 posts, read 2,110,291 times
I think there is evidence that Jews were in Egypt for a certain period of time. There's also evidence that a kingdom of David did exist. I think the mainstream view is that there was likely a small exodus from Egypt, rather than a larger one described in the Bible.

Obviously none of the 10 plagues really happened. Just whose horses was the pharaoh using to chase down Moses and his little gang. God had killed off all the livestock a few plagues ago lol.

Just because there's a small kernel of truth in some of these OT stories, doesn't make all the supernatural and outrageous things in it true.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:12 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Of course not--there is no evidence they were ever in Egypt, even.

The point is, you people who believe in the Bible believe that it happened, and that it was done by the entity or person that, according to you, sets the standard for all morality.

If you think someone who would do this is the standard for morality, what does it say about you?
That I'm a horrible person who clubs pagan babies with a mallet and smacks atheists upside the head

I don't know if I ever really need to care what you think it says about me. I know who I am, you don't.

Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,116,704 times
So those that are non-literalist and think god did not kill the first born.
Do you think god is good all the time?
Why cant god be bad sometimes?

Old 06-09-2010, 09:48 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroman View Post
So those that are non-literalist and think god did not kill the first born.
Do you think god is good all the time?
Why cant god be bad sometimes?
Good question.Personally,I try not to anthropomorphize the concept of God too much.Who really knows what God is and isn't?

Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
Remember the classic answer to this. Something about "who are we to question god, he can do what he wants and it is good and wonderful and blah blah blah praise the baby killing god..."

Old 06-10-2010, 04:56 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
God sounds Joe Pesci's character in...well...most of the movies he's appeared in.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
God sounds Joe Pesci's character in...well...most of the movies he's appeared in.
Yes - "most" is the operative word. He was funny in "My Cousin Vinny".

OP: talk about killing kids - these people did hang a 7-yr old for spying - they are religious people, so it must be ok with their god I suppose
Afghanistan: Taliban 'hang 7-year-old boy for spying' - Adnkronos Security
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality