Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:30 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisonminnie View Post
What an asinine, rude and insulting post (typical fear mongering fundamentalist christian), you sound as if you relish and delight at the mere thought of people being tortured forever, how could you be so cold hearted and insensitive

To answer your question, no it doesn't work, it may work initially until people think of the implications thereof, if God is all knowing he would have known before he created the world who would have gone to heaven or hell, which would make this whole life nothing more than a cruel sham and utter farce, people such as yourself make me realize that one of the best decisions I've ever made was never to have children myself, at least they would never be subjected to such vile teachings

The implications of your vile doctrine and mindset is addressed on this WEBPAGE
Wait Kiddo! You didn't read the last sentence of my post.

There isn't any Hell...I don't believe that at all. I was being facetious!

Forget a loving God not sending people to Hell...even the most cruel, evil God wouldn't do that.

Of all the messed up things organized religion ever came up with...Hell has to be the most messed up of all. I still wonder how anyone would ever hear about Hell...and say to themselves..."Yeah, that sounds about how a "all loving" God would do his children".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 12:33 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,516,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
you know, even after I die, I will never convert to something that I don't believe in to begin with and there is no way that I believe in your hell or heaven so I don't think I'll be going to either one of your fairytale places.
Absolutely! And if I am totally shocked to find there is this deity, I still will not crumble like the cowards I see in this existence. Based solely on their representation of this deity, he/she/it is one sick, sadistic, megalomaniac, mass murderer, egotistical ba....rd, and I ain't going to kiss azz to appease such a despicable entity. I have standards, unlike many that defend the actions of this deity here.

Nor do I worry about it, hint: It's a myth

1,301 posts, read 2,109,554 times
The doctrine of hell and its cousin, eternal torture, are things that pushed me farther away from ever believing in a christian God. I refuse to believe that we're really in that bad of shape when it comes to a Creator.

What's funny is if you read the Bible and take it literally, nobody deserves to be tossed in the Lake for ET more than God himself. The average person has nothing on him and his sins.

I'd imagine the only people who be can scared straight with hell threats are perhaps christians who've strayed away from their beliefs. It certainly isn't gonna work on many, if any, atheist and people of other religions.

1,783 posts, read 3,885,946 times
I'm not worried about it in the least. For one, it is most likely that no afterlife exists at all so there is nothing to fear. For two, if it does exist, it can resemble an untold number of possibilities besides the traditional Christian account. For three, the possibility of being damned to eternal suffering seems to be one of the least likely of all scenarios...it doesn't make any sense in both logical and theological senses. Finally, this concept was clearly created to foster social control. Get the lay people to fear for their eternal afterlife and all of a sudden you have a population of loyal, well behaved, tax payers.

I also agree that some Christians seem to take a perverse pleasure in non-believers and non-Christians burning in hell for all eternity. That just shows their true colors and makes me even more confident that they are dead wrong

Last edited by BoomBoxing; 06-10-2010 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: clarifying my point

Old 06-10-2010, 12:40 PM

520 posts, read 895,360 times
The threat of spending eternity in Tartarus, hasn't made me a believer of Greek Mythology.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:00 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,802,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
Will this work?

YouTube - the simpsons - homers funny prayer

Old 06-10-2010, 01:02 PM

229 posts, read 331,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Wait Kiddo! You didn't read the last sentence of my post.

There isn't any Hell...I don't believe that at all. I was being facetious!

Forget a loving God not sending people to Hell...even the most cruel, evil God wouldn't do that.

Of all the messed up things organized religion ever came up with...Hell has to be the most messed up of all. I still wonder how anyone would ever hear about Hell...and say to themselves..."Yeah, that sounds about how a "all loving" God would do his children".
I apologize, I see that I did indeed not see the last part of your post (..So they say), that's what I get for jumping the gun and fully agree with what you have posted here

Unfortunately, there are people that do think like the way I initially accused you of, though

Old 06-10-2010, 01:06 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,154,869 times
What is this "hell" you speak of? Perhaps if I heard of it, I would immediately convert!
I don't think you can make people change their minds by trying to scare them. People don't change what they believe when you point a gun at them.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:12 PM

848 posts, read 1,952,057 times
Atheists are too smart to fall for fear tactics. LOL Those only work on the weak.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:24 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Sure it will...after they die...they'll convert then. You can practice weeping, wailing, and gnashing your teeth now...gotta be prepared, you know. No matter though...you'll have eternity to get good at it. So they say.
You know GldnRule, I sometimes think that you really live under a bridge.

Internet Bridge Troll - CollegeHumor video
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality