Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 01:46 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
Hmm. Well, if it's any consolation, I'd rather agree with you than Ted.
As would I!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 01:52 PM

360 posts, read 444,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
As would I!!!
Progressive Catholicism will never prevail with us on the watch.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
Progressive Catholicism will never prevail with us on the watch.
I guess I'm just not as unhappy about the Church as he seems to be. I really do wish him peace in what he's looking for - but the things he is hoping to change won't happen in the Church in my lifetime. And a good few of the things that he states need to change, I don't agree with him on.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:53 PM

815 posts, read 1,543,809 times
All is correct. Krishna (Krisha) It means: "roof" -
high. High spiritual evolution.

Old 06-13-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eloy View Post
All is correct. Krishna (Krisha) It means: "roof" -
high. High spiritual evolution.
I'm sorry. I didn't know if you were addressing me or not. Your post, the meaning of it, was unclear to me in light of what we had been talking about.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:12 PM

815 posts, read 1,543,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
I'm sorry. I didn't know if you were addressing me or not. Your post, the meaning of it, was unclear to me in light of what we had been talking about.
))) you never will understand. At you other language.
Krishna and Jesus are identical people.
All is simple. There is a person with a name Jesus (it not a real name). He wishes to put Jews on a correct way development (becomes the Buddha). He studies at "pagans " and has high spiritual development" (becomes Krishna).
It is impossible to explain it. It needs to be understood.

Last edited by eloy; 06-13-2010 at 05:26 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 05:18 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
In fairness I think there are conservative Catholics who sometimes end up believing in things that are more conservative, in the political sense, than they are Catholic. Like unfettered capitalism is not really in line with the tradition or the teaching of the Church. Even if you go to before Vatican II, like Pope Leo XIII, it's clear the Catholic Faith embraces many protections for workers and opposes "Manchestrian Liberalism." I have to admit I have some disdain for the whole idea of organized labor, but the teaching tradition of the Church as I understand it is that labor unions can indeed be valid and necessary.

It was also a Catholic priest, a perfectly orthodox one I believe, who founded Mondragon which is the largest "worker owned company" out there. Oddly, although that is ostensibly more "radical", I have less difficulties accepting things like that than I do unions. Somehow "collective capitalism" seems a bit less adversarial to me than a "Union versus the Boss" system.

And some conservative Catholics strongly embraced the Iraq war even after it was clear it lead to increased repression and anti-Catholicism there. (The Chaldeans are Catholics) And I admit I supported the Iraq War fairly vigorously, at first, but I did realize this was morally troublesome in some ways.

So it's not like I'm untainted by worldly concerns or politics. And I do fear maybe I come out too condemnatory online. It's quite likely, nay probable, that on many actions and works ted is a better Catholic than I. I'm trying to be more giving, but I admit I have tendencies toward callousness and self-involvement which are morally revolting. Still I do think the continuity of the Church is important to many, not just me, and I'm not sure how all Progressive ideas on Catholicism could be adopted without radically breaking that. But I also should concede I don't know how much of Progressive Catholicism he really adopts. (Like if he would really want say women bishops or the sacrament of marriage to include same-sex marriage)

Also even I'm not that ultra-orthodox. I think the original document on the matter does indicate contraception and condoms might be licit if the reasons are medical rather than contraceptive. And in the case of fornication or adultery or sodomy I'm not sure using a condom makes much moral difference, but it might make a health difference. (Condoms aren't totally effective, and the importance of sexual fidelity plus testing is underestimated in reducing AIDS, but I do think condoms "work" to some degree) I would favor the Church doing more to getting people tested for AIDS and reducing the stigma in Africa to testing. I'm also open to the idea of allowing married men to become priests, even if not to allowing priests to become married men. I could even be talked into something like "Internal Affairs" but for priests. Otherwise though I probably am pretty orthodox or "Medieval" as I suppose some might put it.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I have to admit I have some disdain for the whole idea of organized labor, but the teaching tradition of the Church as I understand it is that labor unions can indeed be valid and necessary.
I wanted to focus on this. Just to point out, if I remember correctly, back in the old days (Industrial Revolution and on), later unions were positively necessary because companies were getting incredibly rich off practically slave labor from children, women, etc. The Vatican supported the unions because they would help instill safety measures, better wages, and whatnot, and slow down the companies' ridiculous greed.

Unfortunately, unions have gone too far. Rather than benefit the workers fairly, the unions themselves have become greedy, and the companies are slaves of their workers.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:11 PM

1,883 posts, read 3,002,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eloy View Post
))) you never will understand. At you other language.
There is nothing to understand.This post and your previous is gibberish.People wishing others to understand them should learn to write the language correctly.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:14 PM

I think what Eloy is saying is that Jesus and the Krishna are the same person and that views of both of them are like facets of a faith in one person. Interesting theory, but almost definitely not true, and this is not the place, and we shouldn't have to decode posts. Eloy, this isn't Cryptology 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality