Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 10:10 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,553,213 times

Advertisements

I didn't get to sleep last night so I need to go to bed.

That being said what I meant is that what you see as hypersensitivity I think is just a normal sensitivity most people have about things they feel connected to. Religious beliefs are not like opinions on tax policy or graphing calculators. For the believer they tend to involve a connection to a being or beings or things they see as real. It is not important whether you or I think that being or thing is real or not. Until you understand that I think you will be doomed to see hypersensitivity where hypersensitivity is not really there.

And although I do think you're aggressive, and I think you basically admit it at points as it's not necessarily all bad to be hostile/aggressive, perhaps I should be more willing to concede non-theists like you truly are as clueless as you claim. As many of you tend to require me to repeat the same thing over and over this should be clue that yes many of you really are that clueless. I mean why not? Most people are clueless about something.

Anyway, see you later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 02:54 PM

63,800 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
Well now, this isn't a perfect way of measuring respect levels for the both of you, but how about a comparison of your individual proportions of rep-to-#posts?

MysticPhD has 5954 posts, and an earned reputation of 674. To simplify that, about 1 reputation point for every 8.83 posts.

Konraden has 1010 posts, and an earned reputation of 163. That's about 1 rep point for every 6.2 posts.

Mystic lost! I'm sorry, Mystic, but it seems Konraden is more respected than you overall. Wonder how that happened. Oh well, I'm on your side, Mystic....
And the relationship of reputation points to intelligence is what? You have measured popularity of opinion . . . not intelligence, Kid.

Old 06-13-2010, 06:24 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I didn't get to sleep last night so I need to go to bed.

That being said what I meant is that what you see as hypersensitivity I think is just a normal sensitivity most people have about things they feel connected to. Religious beliefs are not like opinions on tax policy or graphing calculators. For the believer they tend to involve a connection to a being or beings or things they see as real. It is not important whether you or I think that being or thing is real or not. Until you understand that I think you will be doomed to see hypersensitivity where hypersensitivity is not really there.

And although I do think you're aggressive, and I think you basically admit it at points as it's not necessarily all bad to be hostile/aggressive, perhaps I should be more willing to concede non-theists like you truly are as clueless as you claim. As many of you tend to require me to repeat the same thing over and over this should be clue that yes many of you really are that clueless. I mean why not? Most people are clueless about something.

Anyway, see you later.
Aggressive, hostile, insensitive, all subjective terms. Claiming these about me without making a point will not take this conversation anywhere.

Just because this hypersensitivity surrounding religious beliefs have become the norm, that is no excuse for them. eg. It's normal to own a slave, thus owning a slave is justified.

Name one other belief, where I am expect to respect right off the bat? Only religious belief claims the privilege. The only time I ever get this kind of response is when I respond to religious beliefs.

I get straight to the point, you may call this aggressive/hostile, but I don't like spending 10 minutes on a reply, when someone like yourself, decides to ignore what I have actually typed and replace it what they think I should have typed.

I'm not clueless about peoples feelings, I remember what it was like to get my beliefs criticize when I was a child..

Old 06-13-2010, 06:25 PM

360 posts, read 444,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
And the relationship of reputation points to intelligence is what? You have measured popularity of opinion . . . not intelligence, Kid.
Sorry. Told 'ya it wasn't perfect.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
Aggressive, hostile, insensitive, all subjective terms. Claiming these about me without making a point will not take this conversation anywhere.
On looking it up I admit you're less of an offender than I thought. The main insults I find by you were directed at me and possibly that's because I was dismissive of you. (I think rightfully so, but still) Overall it's less of insults than I expected. Possibly I mixed you up with someone else or focused in on the fact we don't like each other very much. Still apologies there as you're more fair than my own biases led me to believe.

That being said you do play "How dare you stifle me, I won't be stifled", whether anyone is really trying to stifle you or not, and I found many of your posts that fit that pattern. So on that I feel I was right so do not need to apologize.

Anyway some of what I'm saying refers in general of various secularists and maybe I did specify on you too much. Some sleep has helped me sort some things out.

Quote:
Just because this hypersensitivity surrounding religious beliefs have become the norm, that is no excuse for them. eg. It's normal to own a slave, thus owning a slave is justified.
The above apologies notwithstanding this is one of the weirdest analogies I've seen. Maybe not up there with Jerry Brown comparing Meg Whitman to Joseph Goebbels, but weird.

Quote:
Name one other belief, where I am expect to respect right off the bat?
My point is you, or whoever, does not need to personally respect it. It's just that you should realize these are emotional issues for people and disrespect is going to effect them in an emotional way. It's not "hyper-sensitivity" it's a perfectly explicable reaction to an emotionally charged issue.

Despite that certainly I can think of non-religious beliefs that have that aspect. You're in New Zealand so it might be different there, but here if you indicate to a soldier that our nation is built on a lie and that the flag is meaningless symbolism you might get an emotional response. If you said a cemetery wastes land as dead bodies are just carrion you might get an emotional response from someone. If an irreligious person has invested much of their life believing in UFOs me telling them why I think that's a waste of time is obviously going to upset them. I wouldn't pretend otherwise.

Quote:
Only religious belief claims the privilege. The only time I ever get this kind of response is when I respond to religious beliefs.
I'm guessing you must not respond as much to other emotionally-charged beliefs then.

Quote:
I'm not clueless about peoples feelings, I remember what it was like to get my beliefs criticize when I was a child..
I was perhaps unfair to you. That being said I think you are probably a bit clueless just judging by what you say, even if I maybe was a bit wrong about you.

You probably would be nicer to a kid and that's good of you, but I think the way you tend to think people are out to silence you or that all these religious people are hyper-sensitive is a tad clueless.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:59 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,165,260 times
Quote:
On looking it up I admit you're less of an offender than I thought. The main insults I find by you were directed at me and possibly that's because I was dismissive of you. (I think rightfully so, but still) Overall it's less of insults than I expected. Possibly I mixed you up with someone else or focused in on the fact we don't like each other very much. Still apologies there as you're more fair than my own biases led me to believe.

That being said you do play "How dare you stifle me, I won't be stifled", whether anyone is really trying to stifle you or not, and I found many of your posts that fit that pattern. So on that I feel I was right so do not need to apologize.

Anyway some of what I'm saying refers in general of various secularists and maybe I did specify on you too much. Some sleep has helped me sort some things out.

The above apologies notwithstanding this is one of the weirdest analogies I've seen. Maybe not up there with Jerry Brown comparing Meg Whitman to Joseph Goebbels, but weird.

My point is you, or whoever, does not need to personally respect it. It's just that you should realize these are emotional issues for people and disrespect is going to effect them in an emotional way. It's not "hyper-sensitivity" it's a perfectly explicable reaction to an emotionally charged issue.

Despite that certainly I can think of non-religious beliefs that have that aspect. You're in New Zealand so it might be different there, but here if you indicate to a soldier that our nation is built on a lie and that the flag is meaningless symbolism you might get an emotional response. If you said a cemetery wastes land as dead bodies are just carrion you might get an emotional response from someone. If an irreligious person has invested much of their life believing in UFOs me telling them why I think that's a waste of time is obviously going to upset them. I wouldn't pretend otherwise.

I'm guessing you must not respond as much to other emotionally-charged beliefs then.

I was perhaps unfair to you. That being said I think you are probably a bit clueless just judging by what you say, even if I maybe was a bit wrong about you.

You probably would be nicer to a kid and that's good of you, but I think the way you tend to think people are out to silence you or that all these religious people are hyper-sensitive is a tad clueless.
I am not asking for an apology. I just want you to be able to see through this fog of delusion you have thrown over your own eyes.
You need to listen to what someone has to say before you make up your mind about what they have to say on the subject they are talking about. Someone could be wrong on almost every subject, but one day he/she might be right, and if you are not listening, you will miss this valuable piece of knowledge.

Whenever you suggest that I shouldn't say something, you are trying to get me to participate in self censoring. I refuse to partake in such an absurd idea.

It maybe weird, but the analogy holds, just because something is the norm, it does not mean it should be tolerated.

If I had decided to say anything about flags, and graveyards, I have that right. But at the risk of other people criticizing me saying such things.
The funny thing, I had a 30 minute debate with a ufo buff, and not once did he get upset, like many of the religious do..

ONLY the immature are unable to handle criticism about what they believe. I have no obligation to pander to these people.

We are taught at a young age that being wrong is bad. NO it isn't, "there is no shame in being wrong, only in failing to correct our mistakes".

Old 06-13-2010, 09:36 PM

I think this is likely boring others and isn't really going anywhere.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
Quote:
Religious beliefs are not like opinions on tax policy or graphing calculators. For the believer they tend to involve a connection to a being or beings or things they see as real...
Right. Tax policies and graphing calculators are real, and we can all agree on that.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:09 AM

2,069 posts, read 2,161,612 times
Quote:
I just want you to be able to see through this fog of delusion you have thrown over your own eyes. You need to listen to what someone has to say before you make up your mind about what they have to say on the subject they are talking about. Someone could be wrong on almost every subject, but one day he/she might be right, and if you are not listening, you will miss this valuable piece of knowledge.
If people are reading and not listening... that's okay, too... because what they read gets locked into their memories for later consideration.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:22 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,163,225 times
I guess part of the problem is the need some have to change people's minds. I am fully aware that I'm not going to convince a very religous person to Heatherism (my religion - based on me). I also know that there isn't a person out there that could change me to a Christian, Muslim, etc. I'm not interested in trying to change people - I'm interested in trying to understand people. I know that we don't all share that goal - which is what, I believe, leads to the mud slinging. I think when you want people to come around to your beliefs, and they don't - it probably gets very frustrating. I just want to understand what makes other people tick. I already know what makes me tick - and nobody is giong to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality