Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 10:01 AM

64 posts, read 80,023 times

Advertisements

101 reason that support the young Earth that scientists what to suppress!

*No scientific method can prove the age of the earth and the universe, and that includes the ones we have listed here. Although age indicators are called “clocks” they aren’t, because all ages result from calculations that necessarily involve making assumptions about the past.

Age of the earth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 07:55 PM

64 posts, read 80,023 times
Figures people want to surpress the truth like this. First the schools and now public debate.

Old 06-12-2010, 08:34 PM

3,135 posts, read 3,769,386 times
Is this serious thread or just an attempt at humor?

Old 06-12-2010, 08:42 PM

1,313 posts, read 1,548,314 times
I was getting *all in to* that article until I started to notice all the reference links in the piece were linking me back to their own research.......

Old 06-12-2010, 08:45 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,715,551 times
This guy is a botanist.

Old 06-13-2010, 02:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,894,772 times
I would venture that, from the standpoint of most readers, the age of the earth, whether 4.5 billion years or a lot younger say ~5000 years is completely unimportant. We could have gotten a lot more done in the unquestioned 3000 years that homo sapiens has been capable of more than hunting and gathering. I reserve especially intense fury for those who have used extensive education in the physical sciences as tools to create quasi-Creationist theories about our earth. It wastes time. Time we don't have.

H

Old 06-13-2010, 03:22 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,495,123 times
Let's see.

Since the "clocks" this goon is talking about refers to radiometric dating, I'll cover those first.

Debunked Creationist claims about radiometric dating.
CD001: Geochronometry and closed systems
CD002: Geochronology and initial conditions
CD004: Cosmic rays and radiometric decay rates
CD010: Radiometric Dating
CD012: U-Th dating of modern rocks
CD013: K-Ar dating of modern rocks.
CD020: Selective reporting of dating results

And an overview of the age of Earth and how we know.
The Age of the Earth

Mitochondrial Eve
CB621.1: Young mitochondrial Eve
What, if anything, is a Mitochondrial Eve?

By all means, you can read all about the frequently debunked crap that Creationists put up.
Evidence against a recent creation - RationalWiki
An Index to Creationist Claims

Of course, for more on why it's ludicrous...
YouTube - potholer54's Channel
Creation "Science" Debunked
TalkOrigins Archive: Exploring the Creation/Evolution Controversy

This is a common talking point in the religion forum for obvious reasons. It is not a debate but a continuance of ignorance.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:01 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,888,204 times
Default Facts is facts, frankly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alinsky View Post
Figures people want to surpress the truth like this. First the schools and now public debate.
So... wait now; first you make a post and then, before anyone else answers, you answer and agree with yourself?

Hmmm.. a truly novel approach to intellectually honest debating! Please! Do give yourself a gold star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
Let's see.

Since the "clocks" this goon is talking about refers to radiometric dating, I'll cover those first.

(snipped for brev; after all, it's right here!)

This is a common talking point in the religion forum for obvious reasons. It is not a debate but a continuance of ignorance.
More correctly, if I may, Konraden: it's a Celebration of Ignorance.

I picture a bunch of ignorant peasants all heartily clapping each other on the back, yammering Moderator cut: deleted about gods and miracles, and assuring each other that everyone else also buys into their load of sheep spit.

Compelling to be sure.

BTW: I wonder if the OP's author could explain to us, just in the briefest of brief expo's, the base principles and major recent findings in ongoing varve research? Please? Just one paragraph would do it.

Now, it's no fair C&Ping from the net; show us your level of personal education and understanding in one of the cornerstones of modern geo-technology and unambiguous evidence.

Last edited by june 7th; 06-13-2010 at 04:25 PM..

Old 06-13-2010, 01:16 PM

4,903 posts, read 6,003,521 times
Did you even look at the website Alinsky? It's run by Creation Ministries International. The information is nothing but bias, ignorance and lies. If you want credible information then talk to an actual biologist, especially one whom isn't a associated with a religious organization promoting creationist propaganda. Email a scientist like Richard Dawkins or Ken Miller. You can also go to your local university/community college and talk to one of the biology, anthropology or paleontology professors.

Old 06-13-2010, 01:19 PM

360 posts, read 443,666 times
I'll laugh when, in two hundred years or so, they perfect time travel or something (surely future medicine can make us live that long!) and go back, oh, about 7000 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality