Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 08:06 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioanKid View Post
I just skimmed that article before coming on to C-D. That poor church... I wonder if they can even afford to have one rebuilt? It would be unfortunate for the congregation if they couldn't rebuild their statue.
Why aren't they using that money to actually help people, feed the hungry, get medical treatment for the sick, instead of building such a vulgar monument to a delusion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2010, 11:33 PM

494 posts, read 890,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
The ten commandments are routinely ignored.
Most of them should be.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:07 AM

37,462 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Most of them should be.
Some pretty good rules there.

The first few commandments are about who you worship, if your not a monotheist then you might disagree with. But most of them are rules of how to live peaceably with other people:
Honour your parents,
dont murder,
dont do adultery,
dont steal,
dont perjure against others,
dont try to take someone else' wife,
dont try to take someone else' stuff.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:30 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
Quote:

The first few commandments are about who you worship, if your not a monotheist then you might disagree with. But most of them are rules of how to live peaceably with other people:
Honour your parents,
dont murder,
dont do adultery,
dont steal,

I absolutely agree with you but to me the above are pretty much universal in terms of morality , not a monopoly of Abrahamic religions. Most tribal groups around the world have the same rules... Animist or Atheist, Christian or Hindu, murder or theft is usually frowned upon by the human specie ( though of course the definition varies a great deal... ) at least officially anyway... War, pillage and widespread spousal cheating proclaiming our good intentions often a little redundant.

I take issue with the first one though. It should be " honour your parents if they too show you respect". My parents are not deserving of honouring. Nor are many other people's... Respect is earnt not a given. Nobody who shows contempt for others should be honoured.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 PM

Quote:

Honour your parents,
dont murder,
dont do adultery,
dont steal,
Throw away the ones about the fictitious deity. Oops, how many is that gone, four? Then if I recall #5 is honor your parents, which is also a load of crap. Many parents deserve no honor or respect, so you can toss that one too since it's often not applicable. Then next is what, murder? Okay, no murder except when your god commands it, right?? So toss that one out too. If the rule doesn't apply across the board, it's crap.

Gosh we're down to four left. Let's see...no adultery? I happen to know several couples in open relationships that have lasted longer than monogamous ones. One couple is pushing 30 years together now. Guess that commandment ain't always right either.

The point here is that I can pretty much go through your whole list of commandments and give legitimate and good reasons when each of them should be ignored. So toss them in the rubbish where that belong and simply use your head and your heart and good ol' LOGIC to determine what's right and wrong. It ain't that hard to do.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:23 PM

353 posts, read 552,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Throw away the ones about the fictitious deity. Oops, how many is that gone, four? Then if I recall #5 is honor your parents, which is also a load of crap. Many parents deserve no honor or respect, so you can toss that one too since it's often not applicable. Then next is what, murder? Okay, no murder except when your god commands it, right?? So toss that one out too. If the rule doesn't apply across the board, it's crap.

Gosh we're down to four left. Let's see...no adultery? I happen to know several couples in open relationships that have lasted longer than monogamous ones. One couple is pushing 30 years together now. Guess that commandment ain't always right either.

The point here is that I can pretty much go through your whole list of commandments and give legitimate and good reasons when each of them should be ignored. So toss them in the rubbish where that belong and simply use your head and your heart and good ol' LOGIC to determine what's right and wrong. It ain't that hard to do.
This is quite possibly the dumbest post I have ever read.
Don't respect your parents because if ones bad they are all bad.
It's ok to kill people because christians have been known to do it.
It's OK to commit adultery because some people that do are happy.
How do you become so hateful that even when something is right you stand against it solely because of it's religious origins.

Old 06-18-2010, 01:52 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Um... I don't really want to get in the middle of this... I probably shouldn't - but here goes...
Offthefence - I think you missed the point that OBW was trying to make. OBW wasn't saying that we should do the exact opposite of the commandments - just that they shouldn't be considered absolutes. Yes, honor thy parents - for the most part. However, there are certain circumstances where that should not be followed. Parents that are abusive should not be honored. That isn't the same thing as saying don't respect your paretns because if ones bad they are all bad - that isn't the same thing at all!!!
All OBW is saying is that there are certain circumstances in which the commandments should be broken. The law allows for that - and so should we. Killing in self defence is okay. Dishonoring abusive parents by turning them into the cops for beating you is okay. I think that's all OBW was saying. That's what was stated in her last paragraph.
There - my two cents. I'm done.

Last edited by Dewdroplet76; 06-18-2010 at 01:52 PM.. Reason: oops

Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 AM

Dewdrop absolutely 'got' what I meant. Too bad it just went way over the head of someone else.

Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 AM

353 posts, read 552,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Um... I don't really want to get in the middle of this... I probably shouldn't - but here goes...
Feel free. That's what this is all about.
Quote:
Offthefence - I think you missed the point that OBW was trying to make. OBW wasn't saying that we should do the exact opposite of the commandments - just that they shouldn't be considered absolutes. Yes, honor thy parents - for the most part. However, there are certain circumstances where that should not be followed. Parents that are abusive should not be honored. That isn't the same thing as saying don't respect your paretns because if ones bad they are all bad - that isn't the same thing at all!!!
It's exactly the same. OBW said "Then if I recall #5 is honor your parents, which is also a load of crap. Many parents deserve no honor or respect, so you can toss that one too since it's often not applicable."
Throw out the rule because some parents are bad? How is that any different than how I summarized it?

Quote:
All OBW is saying is that there are certain circumstances in which the commandments should be broken.
That's not what OBW said at all. OBW said "each of them should be ignored. So toss them in the rubbish where that belong......"
I totally agree that there are exceptions but that wasn't what was said.

Quote:
The law allows for that - and so should we. Killing in self defence is okay. Dishonoring abusive parents by turning them into the cops for beating you is okay. I think that's all OBW was saying. That's what was stated in her last paragraph.
There - my two cents. I'm done.
Looks like you missed my point. A good law is a good law regardless of were it comes from. Being against it simply because it's in the Bible is stupid. Of course there are exceptions. The commandments aren't written in stone

Old 06-22-2010, 01:38 AM

Offthefence you need to read my post again. You missed the part where I said 'use your heart and your head and logic' to decide what is right. Like so many people, you lack reading comprehension.

I stand by my opinion that the ten commandments should be tossed in the rubbish bin. There are much better ways of deciding what is right and wrong than relying on what some nomadic desert goatherders decided their sadistic, murderous god told them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality