Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 11:44 PM

494 posts, read 890,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
My view is that this world sucks and humans are the most cruel and stupid form of life. Explaining this would require at least 10 pages.
I wonder how the Earth and all creatures will rejoice when the human race crosses the finish line?
I think the world is a fantastic, fascinating, gorgeous, and wonderful place! If you think it sucks, perhaps the issue is with you rather than the world. I love this world, and I can't wait to explore every single bit of it that I can. I'm off to Asia for the month of July, and will swing through Australia on the way back. This does not suck.

My world is amazing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 12:38 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
I agree with Visvaldis about humans much of the time, but the world is a great place if one can get away from great masses of them.

Old 06-23-2010, 04:45 AM

23,221 posts, read 29,034,905 times
Quote:
My view is that this world sucks and humans are the most cruel and stupid form of life. Explaining this would require at least 10 pages.
I wonder how the Earth and all creatures will rejoice when the human race crosses the finish line?
The sadistic, fun-loving aliens who view the human race as their daily entertainment
will take every measure to extend this cruel laboratory experiment for their benefit only.

The human race is nothing more than the "I Love Lucy" or "Carol Burnet Show" to the aliens.

And until a better form of entertainment is found for them, there's nothing we can do about it.

If the rogue dictator of North Korea or Iran comes within even a foot of pushing the button to end the human race, the aliens will make sure this never occurs.

Oh drat!

Old 06-23-2010, 05:50 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
Quote:
As bitter, twisted cynical pessimist ( with idealism thrown in just about the worst combination) I can only concur with your assessment.

We are doomed and I can't say it is breaking my heart anymore.

Our propensity for self destrution and the destruction of everything around us certainly make us about a stupid and short sighted as it comes .

The Human race certainly qualifies en masse for the "Darwinian awards" in any category going . Selfish, greedy, violent, dishonest, and with about as much foresight as a pile of rotting manure, this species deserves everything it gets . And more.

Bring back the primordial ooze, and let us be done with our so called "civilised" ways.

Having the biggest and toughest weapons or the most money/stuff seem more important to us than just about everything else. Pond slime doesn't seem so stupid all of a sudden.

I guess I am having a bad day today but bad days are becoming a lot more common the older I get...

So much potential and most of it grossly wasted . Millions of years on this planet and for what ? So we can still beat each other up ( albeit with bigger and more effective clubs) , steal from each other and abuse everything that Nature has granted us. Not a great success considering we had a lot going for us if we tried a little.

Not everyone is like this of course but let us face it , this specie sucks big time.

We are all a bunch of hypocrites and self serving people at the end of the day. Myself included by the way , I make no exception. Nature will clean those Augean stables on day hopefully with a big great helping hand from those bright sparks we call humans .

All these natural wonders, all that potential to truly achieve something worthwhile, all the beauty in this world, the amazing gifts that have been bestowed upon us squandered in the pursuit of what ? Shadows and pointless delusions of grandeur on our part.

We live in a spectacular world of amazing complexity, fascinating and subtle in so many ways, the true wonders of science like biology and physics, chemistry or the human brain and we still manage to despoil and rape it at every opportunity. The waste is simply mind boggling. All we could have been and still could be wasted .

The more I see humans and the more I love Nature.

The world is indeed amazing Occam's Bikini Wax but not for much longer if we have anything to do with it. The world is fantastic but humans seem hell bent its destruction. And doing a pretty bloody good job of it too... Take us out of the equation and the natural balance returns IMO.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 06-23-2010 at 06:02 AM..

Old 06-23-2010, 06:15 AM

1,309 posts, read 1,362,320 times
Quote:
Wow, spilled your coffee? (J/K)

From the outside looking in (to your comment) I can see where yor comments can be true. I can also see the exact opposite too. Its kind of hard to comment to your OP, if that is something you are looking for the posters of CD to do, since it has no particular subject but a general observation/opinion.
The words that come to mind when I read your OP are "compassion", "frustation" and "anger".
I hope you get to feeling better

Old 06-23-2010, 07:24 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The sadistic, fun-loving aliens who view the human race as their daily entertainment
will take every measure to extend this cruel laboratory experiment for their benefit only.

The human race is nothing more than the "I Love Lucy" or "Carol Burnet Show" to the aliens.

And until a better form of entertainment is found for them, there's nothing we can do about it.

If the rogue dictator of North Korea or Iran comes within even a foot of pushing the button to end the human race, the aliens will make sure this never occurs.

Oh drat!
An entertaining thought!
I don't believe humans are helpless, but that we just lack the will to be otherwise. That's why this world sucks.

Old 06-23-2010, 09:04 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
Quote:
Nothing would "rejoice" because other animals aren't capable of living beyond the here and now. Nothing is right or wrong to them, it just IS. Sure most of them would do better if we all vanished, but they do not have the capability to preconceive that idea and revel in it. Besides, we're part of this world too and still made ourselves masters by following the laws of nature. We have a right to exist too.

The real tragedy is that we extremely rare sentient beings are wasting our potential doing literal "monkey buisness" more befitting our prehistoric ancestors like short-term pleasure seeking, wealth acquisition and status seeking. When are we going to evolve past all that? We should be able to now... it isn't like we aren't smart enough to comprehend long term actions or cause and effect. Our potential is so much more...

...Oh hell, maybe I'm just asking too much. You may all resume hootting, screaming and throwing poo now.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:26 AM

4,883 posts, read 6,210,831 times
Quote:
I don't believe it is the world that sucks so much as some of the people in the world. I am hopeful that, as future generations become more educated and enlightened, most of what causes our problems today will be completely eliminated.

Old 06-23-2010, 10:36 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
The world is awesome.

And as to the "Earth and all creatures" rejoicing about anything, rest assured that the Earth does not give a ****. Humans can do no worse to it than the cosmos itself has done, and the Earth shakes it off like a wet duck and keeps on quacking.

What you mistake for the misery of the planet is your own personal misery. My experience is that such misery is generally a choice.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:14 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,183,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
Nothing would "rejoice" because other animals aren't capable of living beyond the here and now. Nothing is right or wrong to them, it just IS. Sure most of them would do better if we all vanished, but they do not have the capability to preconceive that idea and revel in it. Besides, we're part of this world too and still made ourselves masters by following the laws of nature. We have a right to exist too.

The real tragedy is that we extremely rare sentient beings are wasting our potential doing literal "monkey buisness" more befitting our prehistoric ancestors like short-term pleasure seeking, wealth acquisition and status seeking. When are we going to evolve past all that? We should be able to now... it isn't like we aren't smart enough to comprehend long term actions or cause and effect. Our potential is so much more...

...Oh hell, maybe I'm just asking too much. You may all resume hootting, screaming and throwing poo now.
Yes, we are busy with trivia, instead of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality