Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2010, 01:25 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I guess Goldn is trying to tell us that we should go along with the fact that there is a god because the supposed majority states that it is so (even though she gave an example how the majority is 'wrong' on the issue of abortion)
OOOOOOOK.
You don't "get it" either. But then, you are so imperceptive you can't even glean from my posts that I am male...unless you were just being a ........

I said you need to UNDERSTAND that in this world the majority is going to rule in most situations...REGARDLESS of whether any individual thinks the majority is right OR wrong. I used the example that I thought the majority of the Supreme Court Justices were wrong in allowing abortion to be legal...AND, BTW, I have been personally harmed by that decision in a horrible way...but I UNDERSTAND that is the way it goes down in this world. Right, wrong, logic, reason, common sense...none of that means squat...what THE MAJORITY THINKS, for whatever reason they think it...will prevail, and determine "THE RULES" we ALL have to live by, most of the time. Get it now?

"God Exists" prevails over "No God" by a margin of 9or10 to 1 in the arena of the world stage. So where do you think that puts the "God Exists" platform in terms of power and influence on a worldwide basis? Does it matter what I personally believe...NOPE! Does it matter what you personally believe...NOPE! It's what the MAJORITY believes that WILL RULE. You need to get hip to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 01:33 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
OR SPECIFY WHY YOUR SPECULATIVE OPINION should be the default word for everyone to use.!!!
I never said it should be. I'm not trying to dictate other peoples' opinions.

Quote:
That it is MERELY a MINDLESS UNIVERSE IS SPECULATIVE OPINION!
I never said it wasn't.

Quote:
We agree . . . but you want to except YOUR speculative opinion and consider it the default.Sorry . . it is pure speculation.
Again, putting words in my mouth. I already told you we can drop the word "Nature" if it is considered loaded for the sake of discussion, but I haven't gotten the same courtesy from you about your word "God".

Quote:
Show me the support for your mindlessness, non-existent Source of the universal field and it will be more scientific. Otherwise it is pure speculation . . . and NO evidentiary possiblity of an explanation. Because mine has a prayer of being found correct as phsyicists are focused on universal field theories. Who is working on your non-existent theory?
The same people.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:36 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
Because mine has a prayer of being found correct as phsyicists are focused on universal field theories. Who is working on your non-existent theory?
In all fairness....your view also may be found to be incorrect...what then?

I believe it is foolish to take a de facto stance on any matter until it has been definitively proven one way or another....wouldn't you agree?

Old 06-25-2010, 01:41 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

I believe it is foolish to take a de facto stance on any matter until it has been definitively proven one way or another....wouldn't you agree?
If I were dictator of the world . . . yes . . . but they WILL be foolish and continue to insist that science is on their unproven side by default and there is no evidence for A God. That is patently untrue by any objective measure of Godhood . . . minus all the beliefs. You cannot focus on one characteristic that is only believed (ignoring the many that are currently known about our reality) and say there is no evidence because that ONE characteristic cannot be proven. That is neither neutral nor scientific.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
You don't "get it" either. But then, you are so imperceptive you can't even glean from my posts that I am male...unless you were just being a ........

I said you need to UNDERSTAND that in this world the majority is going to rule in most situations...REGARDLESS of whether any individual thinks the majority is right OR wrong. I used the example that I thought the majority of the Supreme Court Justices were wrong in allowing abortion to be legal...AND, BTW, I have been personally harmed by that decision in a horrible way...but I UNDERSTAND that is the way it goes down in this world. Right, wrong, logic, reason, common sense...none of that means squat...what THE MAJORITY THINKS, for whatever reason they think it...will prevail, and determine "THE RULES" we ALL have to live by, most of the time. Get it now?

"God Exists" prevails over "No God" by a margin of 9or10 to 1 in the arena of the world stage. So where do you think that puts the "God Exists" platform in terms of power and influence on a worldwide basis? Does it matter what I personally believe...NOPE! Does it matter what you personally believe...NOPE! It's what the MAJORITY believes that WILL RULE. You need to get hip to that.
I did 'get' that you are male....your name is just similar to a female poster on CD and I fell into the familiar.
I also do 'get' that when there is a majority there is a potential for rules/laws to me made that we disagree with.
However, when it comes to what one believes, there is absolutely nothing a contrary majority can do about it.
It most certainly does not give them status in any of the fields of science.

It's been proven enough times....in MY opinion....that the masses, in general, are by either intelligence level or disposition easy to manipulate so I might be even more inclined to look askance at popular opinion.
Numbers are not impressive.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:48 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
If I were dictator of the world . . . yes . . . but they WILL and continue to insist that science is on their unproven side by default and there is no evidence for A God.That is patently untrue by any objective measure of Godhood . . . minus all the beliefs.Gee,hon.... You cannot focus on one characteristic that is only believed (ignoring the many that are currently known about our reality) and say there is no evidence because that ONE characteristic cannot be proven. That is neither neutral nor scientific.
Mystic....that is like proposing a certain man as a perfect candidate for marrying your daughter.
He is good looking, extremely kind, understanding, ambitious enough to provide a comfortable life and great with kids.
But dad.....he's dead!
Gee hon....you're going to reject him just because ONE characteristic????

Old 06-25-2010, 01:53 PM

63,777 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Mystic....that is like proposing a certain man as a perfect candidate for marrying your daughter.
He is good looking, extremely kind, understanding, ambitious enough to provide a comfortable life and great with kids.
But dad.....he's dead!
Gee hon....you're going to reject him just because ONE characteristic????
IT can when all the other characteristics contradict the "dead" hypothesis (non-existent) . . your comparative breaks down. There is no doubt The Source EXISTS . . . its characteristics are known and ubiquitous . . . just not all-inclusive yet.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:56 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,029,983 times
Let me ask you something, Mystic.

Do you really mean to replace the word "Nature" in every sense with the word "God"? Would you do a "find and replace" on every document containing the word "Nature" and "Natural"?

"Ah, it's so nice to get away from society and into God."
"He died of Godly causes."
"God vs. nurture is the ratio of heredity vs environment.."
"The animals were placed in a Godly Wildlife Preserve.."
"Hurricanes are Godly disasters.."
"All people are selfish - it's just human God."

Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM

4,883 posts, read 6,209,347 times
Quote:
If I were dictator of the world . . . yes . . . but they WILL be foolish and continue to insist that science is on their unproven side by default and there is no evidence for A God. That is patently untrue by any objective measure of Godhood . . . minus all the beliefs. You cannot focus on one characteristic that is only believed (ignoring the many that are currently known about our reality) and say there is no evidence because that ONE characteristic cannot be proven. That is neither neutral nor scientific.
Let's get this straight...I never said there was no evidence for a SOURCE OF ALL...what I said was the SOURCE IS UNKNOWN....huge difference. I posit that since the SOURCE IS UNKNOWN, it should be called THE UNKNOWN SOURCE until we actually "KNOW" what the UNKNOWN SOURCE is. You posit the UNKNOWN SOURCE should be called God given that it was revealed to you by a deep meditative revelation. The knowledge you received is purely subjective and when all is said and done....is just your opinion or belief.

I'd like you to answer these questions that I posted on another thread which Miss Blue closed:

You keep posting the statement...verified Godly attributes...I've seen this statement several times. What exactly are these verified Godly attributes that you continually speak of? And, who determined exactly what a Godly attribute was in order for that Godly attribute to be verified?

I would appreciate and look forward to your response.

Last edited by ChristyGrl; 06-25-2010 at 02:05 PM..

Old 06-25-2010, 01:57 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,646,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristyGrl View Post

Wow...ANY MATTER, "definitively proven", before you take a stance!

If you wait for every matter to be "definitively proven" before you make a decision as to how to think or act....I'd hate to be behind you at a 4-Way intersection during rush hour. Hey...after all...whether the others will wait their turn and let you pass without crashing into you could be a matter of life and death...certainly you would need "definitive proof" before you "took a stance" and proceeded into the intersection. See? Most decisions in life...even those with your life, and the lives of others, hanging in the balance...are decided, and acted upon (take a stance) with nothing more than intuition and perception, and completely void of "definitive proof". So much for needing "proof" before you "take a stance".

You don't even "get it" that you don't agree, or conduct yourself in life, in accordance with your own statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality