Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,008,333 times

Advertisements

I am not going to say that ALL prayers to god are for things, benefits, alleviation of pressures and illness and escape from tough spots, but in these tough time, I will wager that many are. What I find odd is, I don't know too many praying people who will say that god answers their prayer on the spot. In the bible we read accounts where god supposedly had conversations with people, but today, he is strangely silent. One has to wait to see the outcome of a request to draw conclusions.

If a prayer is made to heal a sick child, there is no answer and one has to wait to see if the child lives or dies to know WHAT god's will [supposedly] was. The same goes for just about any other prayer that involves a request.

If folks believe that god speaks to them and prayer is the method by which he does it, why is it a one way conversation, where god says nothing? Why doesn't he just say, "yes" or "no" at the time of the prayer just like any parent would do to their children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 01:49 PM

354 posts, read 749,696 times
when i pray, mostly to thank God for everything. i rarely ask Him for anything. maybe the reason why my life is nothing? but in the rare times that i ask Him for something, sometimes it happens, most, does not. so i just stick to thanking Him for everything and asking sorry if i disappoint Him. i also pray my own words and bilingual.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:09 PM

433 posts, read 587,428 times
If you pray for something you really need, you'd set yourself up for disappointments; if you pray for something you dont't care, you'd be happy with the outcome -- nothing happens.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM

310 posts, read 589,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baket View Post
when i pray, mostly to thank God for everything. i rarely ask Him for anything. maybe the reason why my life is nothing? but in the rare times that i ask Him for something, sometimes it happens, most, does not. so i just stick to thanking Him for everything and asking sorry if i disappoint Him. i also pray my own words and bilingual.
If your life is nothing, then it's because you've made nothing of your life. Only you can get yourself up off your butt and make something of yourself. It doesn't just magically happen due to prayer.

Old 03-31-2010, 04:11 PM

2,339 posts, read 4,403,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic235 View Post
If you pray for something you really need, you'd set yourself up for disappointments; if you pray for something you dont't care, you'd be happy with the outcome -- nothing happens.
Oh thank you for saying it. I am usually one of the ones who mentions the dissappoinment of the whole prayer thing. And then I get called selfish and am told that I expect "god" to be like a Santa Clause. When all I ever really wanted was for my husband to not have high blood pressure and my disabled son to be okay....how horrible of me! How dare I ask "god" for a healthy family! Maybe I should have asked for a Corvette or a high paying job.

Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 PM

2,385 posts, read 4,335,581 times
I think most people have God all wrong. He is not a supernatural concierge. He's more like an emotional alchemist. He does not rid you of your problems, He opens metaphorical doors in your life and shows you ways to get through them.

If you're praying to God, what you should pray for is for his guidance to help you through your problem. He'll set something up for you and it probably won't be a miracle and not exactly what you asked for, but nonetheless, it will be a way out or a way through.

Old 06-23-2010, 12:42 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,752 times
The biggest problem with people today, especially Christians, is that they think God should operate just like everything else in their lives. If they are hungry, stop at a drive thru. Need money? Stop at the ATM. Forgot that you used all of the milk in your cereal this morning, hit a convenience store on the way home from work. So they assume that God will serve them the same way. I am suffering from (fill in your blank), so fix it now please God, oh and by the way thanks in advance.

It doesn't work this way, many times the reason you are having difficulties in your life is because you are not talking with God enough and he knows that you will speak to him when times are hard, so he makes them hard. Many times we assume that prayers should be answered yes or no, but God works with three answers: yes, no, and wait. Why wait you might ask, that is for God to know, but it does have a purpose. I know this will not be popular with many, but for those who talk to God often, both during the bad times but more importantly during the good times, we do indeed hear Him speaking to us.

And with this I wish you all a good night and God Bless.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:35 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,164,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
The biggest problem with people today, especially Christians, is that they think God should operate just like everything else in their lives. If they are hungry, stop at a drive thru. Need money? Stop at the ATM. Forgot that you used all of the milk in your cereal this morning, hit a convenience store on the way home from work. So they assume that God will serve them the same way. I am suffering from (fill in your blank), so fix it now please God, oh and by the way thanks in advance.

It doesn't work this way, many times the reason you are having difficulties in your life is because you are not talking with God enough and he knows that you will speak to him when times are hard, so he makes them hard. Many times we assume that prayers should be answered yes or no, but God works with three answers: yes, no, and wait. Why wait you might ask, that is for God to know, but it does have a purpose. I know this will not be popular with many, but for those who talk to God often, both during the bad times but more importantly during the good times, we do indeed hear Him speaking to us.

And with this I wish you all a good night and God Bless.
Good post... and the "wait" is for us to become patient, which isn't always an easy thing to do.

I speak to my Heavenly Father silently and I hear His response all the time. One thing I do know with regard to prayers and healing, it is best to ask for the cause of the problem to be removed, and if it is at all possible to be done, it will be. Last week, I twisted my lower back and I could barely walk for a day while I was at work. When I got home, I had a prayer session in the evening and one in the morning and I asked for the cause of the pain to be removed and by noon, I was good as new and I didn't have to make an appointment with the chiropractor.

The other thing I always pray for and that is when people are being jerks to me... I ask for an attitude adjustment for that person and amazingly this always works. And since the recession, I pray that my job is protected and it has been.

I know someone who works in a service industry and her job depends on clients coming in... when she is having money worries, she prays for clients and in they come.

Old 06-23-2010, 06:45 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,562,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
If a prayer is made to heal a sick child, there is no answer and one has to wait to see if the child lives or dies to know WHAT god's will [supposedly] was
Did god have anything to do with making the child sick? Does he just stand idly by waiting for someone to ask him to change his will?

Prayer changes nothing.

When I was a youngster in the 1940's and 1950's I always attended prayer meeting on Wednesday evenings. During those years each family either had a member or friend who was suffering with cancer or heart disease. Prayer lists were a foot and a half long. We prayed for the afflicted to be comfortable and survive but they died anyway. Hundreds of millions of prayers across this nation went unanswered.

Now that medical technology has advanced in their education, techniques, electronic diagnostic devices, etc. and with better diets, blood thinners, stents, bypass surgery, stem cell transplants, chemotherapy, radiation treatments etc. the same kind of patients live on into their 80's and sometimes 90's.

Prayer didn't have anything to do with their dying back then and it has nothing to do with their living now.

Check the insurance company's actuarial life expectency tables from back then and the ones for current men and women and you can prove it.

There is no invisible man in the sky and only those who were brainwashed as infants and small children believe that there is...

Old 06-23-2010, 08:31 AM

2,074 posts, read 2,164,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Did god have anything to do with making the child sick? Does he just stand idly by waiting for someone to ask him to change his will?

Prayer changes nothing.

When I was a youngster in the 1940's and 1950's I always attended prayer meeting on Wednesday evenings. During those years each family either had a member or friend who was suffering with cancer or heart disease. Prayer lists were a foot and a half long. We prayed for the afflicted to be comfortable and survive but they died anyway. Hundreds of millions of prayers across this nation went unanswered.

Now that medical technology has advanced in their education, techniques, electronic diagnostic devices, etc. and with better diets, blood thinners, stents, bypass surgery, stem cell transplants, chemotherapy, radiation treatments etc. the same kind of patients live on into their 80's and sometimes 90's.

Prayer didn't have anything to do with their dying back then and it has nothing to do with their living now.

Check the insurance company's actuarial life expectency tables from back then and the ones for current men and women and you can prove it.

There is no invisible man in the sky and only those who were brainwashed as infants and small children believe that there is...
Perhaps, it was all of your prayers that brought about the advancement of medical technology.

And, btw, I agree... there is no invisible "man" in the sky... 'cause our Heavenly Father isn't a man... and thank Heavens for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality