Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:52 PM

4,493 posts, read 6,305,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourself View Post
Hmmm... I'm more of a multiverse man over big crunch. I believe in an eternal set containing an infinite sets. Each set is a sub universe started by its own big bang. Like a fractal. But anyways;
I'm certainly not set in my ideas, I think a multiverse is quite plausible. Who really knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2010, 03:40 AM

23,162 posts, read 26,118,923 times
Lady Ice.......

Old 07-03-2010, 04:42 PM

366 posts, read 539,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Good to see you again, Matrix . . . how are things going? Actually my view is quite rigorous, as well . . . though I've not found an audience up to the task of appreciating its intricacies (with the possible exception of you).
Thanks for the kind words Mystic, though it's undeserved. I'm sure quite a few folks here can appreciate it. I think it's awesome that you've worked it out in such detail. As for me, life is pretty OK. My wife likes me, so that's good! But I have to study Hegel, which I'm not crazy about.

Last edited by The Matrix; 07-03-2010 at 05:23 PM..

Old 07-03-2010, 05:36 PM

366 posts, read 539,981 times
As far as whether there is a "first cause," some of the debate hinges on the following question, often brought up on these boards (and elsewhere): "if God can be eternal, then why not just say the world is eternal?" It's a good and fair question. But what exactly is the target of this question? The aim is to be able to say that there is no need to call upon a God to explain the existence of the world; that the world itself can be eternal. As I have said in the past, however, this is only a rebuttal for a cosmological argument that uses the premise "the world had a beginning." There are really quite a few different arguments. Here's one that I've talked about in other posts (very quickly sketched out):

1. If X is contingent then it is possible that X not exist.

2. Anything existing contingently has a cause or reason for its existence--there is an explanation for why it exists rather than not.

3. If everything exists contingently, then there is no ultimate explanation for why anything exists.

4. Hence, there must be something that necessarily exists (not contingently) that ultimately explains the existence of everything contingent.

As I said, this is quick. But it makes no difference whether or not there is an infinite chain of contingent causes that make up the world. Let's say the world is eternal: no beginning, no end. The series itself still would need an explanation for its existence. If there were no explanation for the existence of the series, this would be just as strange as if the only extant thing in the world were a teapot, and it existed for absolutely no reason.

There are plenty of ways to criticize this argument. But I still like it. Not every objection can be adequately answered, I think. But that doesn't mean that someone can't find it compelling. Which I sometimes do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality