Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 08:54 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I base it on not believing the Bible is an inerrant blueprint of the past, present and future. There is some truth in it, but much of it is mythological.
So the truth in the Bible is 1% or less? How do you know what (small) part is the truth? Isn't this really just your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:03 PM

59 posts, read 126,890 times
This thread reminds me of a point Richard Dawkins makes. In order to let go of God, you need to let go of the fear of hell.

No chance a religious person will think critically, or take a step back and really ask questions while believing in hell. For them, the threat of "betraying" god and being sent to this fearful hell is far too great.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
jimmiej: No, the odds I referred to were the likelihood that the Christians would be the ones watching the heathens burn, which was the original subject of the thread. I think it extremely unlikely because I don't believe anyone is going to see anyone burn, at least in the 'hellfire' sense. I regard The Bible as a collection of the folktales of an ancient people, designed to keep the primitive people in line and to give 'explanations' for many things not yet understood.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:05 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,958,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstate View Post
This thread reminds me of a point Richard Dawkins makes. In order to let go of God, you need to let go of the fear of hell.

No chance a religious person will think critically, or take a step back and really ask questions while believing in hell. For them, the threat of "betraying" god and being sent to this fearful hell is far too great.
Not quite so. I believe in the existence of a creator, but also think that the idea of hell is crap.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:12 PM

59 posts, read 126,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Not quite so. I believe in the existence of a creator, but also think that the idea of hell is crap.
I think it is possible for someone to believe in a creator but not hell. But I do think the fear of hell, for those that believe in hell, restrict them from pondering other possibilities.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:33 PM

20,440 posts, read 12,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
jimmiej: No, the odds I referred to were the likelihood that the Christians would be the ones watching the heathens burn, which was the original subject of the thread. I think it extremely unlikely because I don't believe anyone is going to see anyone burn, at least in the 'hellfire' sense.
To that, I can agree, but for a different reason than you. The Bible indicates that there will be a chasm between heaven & hell. No can cross over, & those in heaven will be unaware of what's going on in hell.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgiafrog View Post
Which is demonstrative of how wise you are Georgia.

Old 07-22-2010, 09:44 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
No one who is good will burn, if you are a good spirit, you will go to the other side.

Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
No one who is good will burn, if you are a good spirit, you will go to the other side.
That is nice of you to say. Unfortunately, there are an awful lot of people who don't seem to believe it.

Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
To that, I can agree, but for a different reason than you. The Bible indicates that there will be a chasm between heaven & hell. No can cross over, & those in heaven will be unaware of what's going on in hell.

A cover up?

Bored angel "Good eternity, sir how can I help you?"

"I'm trying to get in touch with auntie Mable."

Angel with ill - concealed irritation." Well, why don't you just go and speak to her."

"I don't seem to be able to find her. I wondered whether you could tell me in which part of heaven she's residing."

"Oh, very well. I'll just have a look... Ahhh... was she a Mormon?"

"Yes. Of course, she was still a devout believer in God and Jesus. The rest of us had to become Baptists when we moved to Alabama. Why, is that why she's living somewhere else?"

Angel looks crafty. "Could be. Ah...look It's almost time for my praise break. Come back in a millennium or so and I'll see what I can tell you...if I'm here.."

"Can't you just look on your computer there...?"

"Sorry, it's more than my job's worth. I really.."

"I suppose there's nothing in those rumours about some relatives being in hell."

Angel looks put out "That was just a...misreading of Bible text by those who hadn't listened to God properly. You should know better!"

"So you can categorically state that auntie Mabel isn't burning."

Angel's mouth works. " I ..ah..yes..I am empowered by the appropriate section of the code of conduct of heavenly employees to be able to ..." looks as though he's going to be sick but gulps and goes on .."categorically state that no -one's relative is burning in hell which does not exist anyway." Sits and mops his angelic brow.

"Ah. Well that's all right then. See you in an eon or so."

Sharply. "Just a minute, you aren't supposed to know about hell...which does not exist..Where did you hear about it?"

"Why in Bible - class of course. You don't suppose we'd have forgotten all about that after we'd been threatened with it in Church so often."

"Absurd misreading of the crystal clear and easily understandable Bible text. Well, get along. I haven't got eternity, you know!"

phone..."Yes, maintenance department..could you get someone to go along and check whether the brainwashing apparatus is malfuctioning? Yes right now, of course! The last thing the Lord wants is for these idiots to know what's going on!"

The more you theists try to explain away the problems, the more you make.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-23-2010 at 10:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality