Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:34 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,786,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
That is nice of you to say. Unfortunately, there are an awful lot of people who don't seem to believe it.
From a Christian perspective, it's not Biblical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 12:35 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
From a Christian perspective, it's not Biblical.
I wish the fundamentalists would lose the arrogance and say what they mean . . . "This is not how WE interpret the bible."

Old 07-23-2010, 11:28 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I wish the fundamentalists would lose the arrogance and say what they mean . . . "This is not how WE interpret the bible."
Blimey!!! That's the first thing you've said that I agree with. Bravo!

Old 07-24-2010, 12:52 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,140,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesrocks View Post
I used to base my belief on that. While I still believe in God and heaven/hell, my reason for my conviction is that this life has deeper meaning. Yes, science may think evolution is valid. But what is the point of surviving or evolving from a single cell only to die? I mean it evolves into these magnificent mutations only to die? Suffering for nothing? While evolution has a logical reason for the beginning/formation of life, religion has a deeper meaning of end of life.
Yes, it's too bad the eternal life religions claim is just a nice myth, isn't it?

Old 07-24-2010, 05:14 AM

815 posts, read 1,543,809 times
Let's finish it. The religious myth is a myth about good resolves of God. Sacred fathers during last years did not read the bible. Books were expensive, rare and heavy. Priests used abstracts. is a lot of predictions for mission coming are written after death of the person "Jesus". Almost all pupils never saw Jesus. Pavel has created religion to use it for the corporate purposes ( In Bibles it ). The rest - imaginations of Sacred Fathers. Also it is possible to find plagiarism in the bible . Sinners (not true) are people which lives , the human values, the government, independence have...
The selected people are a meat for a gun to take away values from independent people and to bring to God and its preachers and
To receive hope of a rich life and another's earth and a part of the stolen property. The bible - a military management.

Last edited by eloy; 07-24-2010 at 05:28 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 05:37 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonesrocks View Post
I used to base my belief on that. While I still believe in God and heaven/hell, my reason for my conviction is that this life has deeper meaning. Yes, science may think evolution is valid. But what is the point of surviving or evolving from a single cell only to die? I mean it evolves into these magnificent mutations only to die? Suffering for nothing? While evolution has a logical reason for the beginning/formation of life, religion has a deeper meaning of end of life.
Doesn't even strike a note with you that each and every form of life on the planet has the death limitation does it? From microscopic life forms to the human species each one has to take in some kind of nutrition, excrete waste and have a beginning and an end. That's the reason for all religious belief...mankind's inability to accept his mortal fate. In other words thousands of years ago when primitive mankind had to view all forms of dead remains laying around smelling up the place his developing imagination conjured a better end to his own story. Now death is totally hidden from most of us and only those who make a living from it have to deal with the gory details. If each new generation of children had not been taught religion by their parents and had it reinforced by the authority figures in their lives none of it would make a lick of sense.

Most of us heard the off microphone comments made by Barack Obama about common folks clinging to their religion and guns during hard times but as I'm sure you've noticed...now it's "God Bless You And God Bless The United States of America." Politicians are very smart. They're smart enough to know that when 80+ percent of the country has a belief in religion they had damn sure better honor their beliefs in some way or pack it up and ship out. You couldn't tell it by the way they live their lives though. Most of them don't bat an eye before they commit our young men and women to foreign countries to wage war and kill innocent civilians called collaterals. George W. Bush even said he prayed for weeks and that god told him to invade Iraq. 'Course C students more than likely actually believe that collection of fairy tales.

Last edited by Melvin.George; 07-24-2010 at 05:47 AM..

Old 07-24-2010, 07:30 AM

409 posts, read 399,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Doesn't even strike a note with you that each and every form of life on the planet has the death limitation does it? From microscopic life forms to the human species each one has to take in some kind of nutrition, excrete waste and have a beginning and an end. That's the reason for all religious belief...mankind's inability to accept his mortal fate. In other words thousands of years ago when primitive mankind had to view all forms of dead remains laying around smelling up the place his developing imagination conjured a better end to his own story. Now death is totally hidden from most of us and only those who make a living from it have to deal with the gory details. If each new generation of children had not been taught religion by their parents and had it reinforced by the authority figures in their lives none of it would make a lick of sense.

Most of us heard the off microphone comments made by Barack Obama about common folks clinging to their religion and guns during hard times but as I'm sure you've noticed...now it's "God Bless You And God Bless The United States of America." Politicians are very smart. They're smart enough to know that when 80+ percent of the country has a belief in religion they had damn sure better honor their beliefs in some way or pack it up and ship out. You couldn't tell it by the way they live their lives though. Most of them don't bat an eye before they commit our young men and women to foreign countries to wage war and kill innocent civilians called collaterals. George W. Bush even said he prayed for weeks and that god told him to invade Iraq. 'Course C students more than likely actually believe that collection of fairy tales.

"You couldn't tell it by the way they live their lives though. Most of them don't bat an eye before they commit our young men and women to foreign countries to wage war and kill innocent civilians called collaterals."

They lack moral values. Glad to see you recognize that.

Moral Values

Old 07-24-2010, 08:06 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
"You couldn't tell it by the way they live their lives though. Most of them don't bat an eye before they commit our young men and women to foreign countries to wage war and kill innocent civilians called collaterals."

They lack moral values. Glad to see you recognize that.
They do not need moral values. A little prayer to Hey Zeus each night before they fall asleep takes care of anything(including murder) they did that day. Do it each day and VOILA!! On Their Way To The Pearly Gates!

The scriptures teach that blasphemy against the holy spirit(not believing) is the only sin that cannot be forgiven.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 PM

2,595 posts, read 4,440,088 times
Quote:
The book says Christians are the only ones who will rise up from the grave, float away on a cloud, pass through pearly gates, walk streets paved with gold, have a meal prepared for them by the creator etc. Then I suppose all of you good buddies can watch those who are sceaming and burning for after dinner entertainment. Is that about right?
Since the people in hell have rejected Christ and his so great salvation, we will look upon them, but not for entertainment and not in sorrow. We will see that God is just and that he will do what he said. The righteous will spend eternity with him and the unrighteous will perish.

It is written: For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

There is a perishing if we do not accept Jesus Christ.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:24 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
. George W. Bush even said he prayed for weeks and that god told him to invade Iraq. 'Course C students more than likely actually believe that collection of fairy tales.
That's the wierd thing about America....anyone can become President, even idiots! Where I come from you can't hold public office if you're insane....or even vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality