Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 12:31 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,391,828 times

Advertisements

It's a bunch of nonsense. What you see is what you get. End of brain function equals end of you. If I'm wrong, which I'm not, and an unknown, unseen, power/entity/entities holds it against me, then that entity is pretty darn petty and unworthy of being worshiped. But since we ALL KNOW what happens when we die (brain stops functioning) I don't worry about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 12:34 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymathic Hunt View Post
Peppermint - There's not much I can say to your post. You make many valid points. I will tell you however that fear of Hell is not my One and only concern but it was the subject of this thread. I also find it VERY hard to believe that this Earth perfectly balanced world we lived it was created randomly through completely ridiculous odds. I've heard theory before and I passed it on until I began to think of how balanced the earth and it's contents really are. Down to the very smallest details.

In response to the very last line of your post, I haven't read the bible in quite some time but I do believe it mentions that those who die too young to fully comprehend religion and Good and Evil are granted access. I also believe it says something along the lines of everyone gets a chance to hear the word of the lord before the perish. Though this could be a chip in my memory or a misinterpretation by me.
You are certainly coming across as a reasonable bod. Yes, the zones of Comfort argument is a persuasive one. I'd just say

(a) That it came about through (the evidence suggests) a series of accidents suggests that in fact, we have been lucky. Also we evolved to suit the conditions that resulted, so they were not neccessarily perfectly set up to suit a preconcieved Us.

(b) If there was a Creator, that only suggests a Creator. Then we have to say, if a god, which one? Is there any reason to suppose it is interested in us particularly? Isn't it more likely that the speculations of the various religions are just man's guesses? In short, does religion really stack up?

I suppose in some way though we are atheists in that we do not believe in the unproven but cannot be sure that there isn't a Creator, we are also atheist in that we do not believe - for very good reasons - any of the personal gods on offer from the various religions.

Anyway, interesting discussion.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:41 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
Who knows? Maybe they think hell is a fun place?!

Me, I hate it here (earth). I long for heaven sometimes. Been through so much mess down here (earth), that if God said, "Come up hither," I'd faint with relief. (Sorry to sound pathetic or sad).

I try to enjoy life on earth. It's easier some days than others. I try to find the good on earth ...

Time flies so fast. Heaven (for some) and hell (for others) is closer than people think. Times runs on these days, not marches.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:43 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,531,593 times
Same reason I wouldn't buy beach front property in Kansas, it don't exist.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
That's my story. I was baptized at age 22. I continued to try to live the life and believe the story until I was just over sixty. At that time I knew that after reading and studying the new testament for the better part of my life it just wasn't in me to believe all that even if I might live to 100 so I stopped the pretense. I will speak out against any religious belief for the rest of my life...especially the brainwashing of innocent infants and small children.
Yep. I was never a believer, though I had it sold to me for a long time and i suppose that it was always in my mind, 'what if you're wrong'?

But it wouldn't do to pick the religion I'd been peddled from childhood just because of where I'd been born. Sure I ought to look at the others and see whther they didn't make more sense? As I said above, picking the one with the harshest penaties if you're wrong just as a hedge - bet is likely to arouse any god's ire. Well, Budhism seemed the most sensible one but even that didn't stack up after a while so it really atheism turned out to be a pretty sound gut instinct. In the end it is the only one that was really sound, logically, rationally and evidentially. I simply couldn't believe anything else.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymathic Hunt
"On the subject of what I believe - Like I said previously, my view of it all changes daily. I'm constantly mulling over any and all views I can get my hands on. Why would I simply accept your view without questioning it in every possible way first? Nothing has ever been completely proven or disproved to me therefore I cannot come to a concrete decision yet. After all I would say the subject is not one to be taken lightly. "
Please do question. As the Buddha (supposedly) said: 'Don't just believe what anyone tells you, don't even believe what I tell you, check it out for yourself'. I don't think that any atheist worthy of respect would expect you to accept our opinion without questioning it up and down. And we can learn something, too.

Old 06-25-2010, 12:53 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Who knows? Maybe they think hell is a fun place?!

Me, I hate it here (earth). I long for heaven sometimes. Been through so much mess down here (earth), that if God said, "Come up hither," I'd faint with relief. (Sorry to sound pathetic or sad).

I try to enjoy life on earth. It's easier some days than others. I try to find the good on earth ...

Time flies so fast. Heaven (for some) and hell (for others) is closer than people think. Times runs on these days, not marches.
Firstly, I get that you're a believer (I presume a Christian), but did you read what was written? I doubt it, or you wouldn't say, "Maybe they think hell is a fun place." Most folks said they just don't believe in Hell. Other folks are just casting their lots with Jesus because of fear. They don't know, but they want to be safe.

Secondly, "Heaven (for some) and hell (for others)"? Does that make you sad? Does it sadden you that billions of people will spend eternity in everlasting torment? You said it so matter-of-factly that I just wondered if the reality of what you believe has really hit you. It's a tragic reality, according to your belief.

Old 06-25-2010, 01:02 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Oh wow!! I posted this somewhere around 4 am and I went to sleep, I just woke up and already it's turned into six pages!! I don't know where to start!

Old 06-25-2010, 01:05 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
Firstly, I get that you're a believer (I presume a Christian), but did you read what was written? I doubt it, or you wouldn't say, "Maybe they think hell is a fun place." Most folks said they just don't believe in Hell. Other folks are just casting their lots with Jesus because of fear. They don't know, but they want to be safe.

Secondly, "Heaven (for some) and hell (for others)"? Does that make you sad? Does it sadden you that billions of people will spend eternity in everlasting torment? You said it so matter-of-factly that I just wondered if the reality of what you believe has really hit you. It's a tragic reality, according to your belief.
I'll admit that I half-read the post (been distracted lately). Don't mean to offend anyone. I probably half-read your reply, too.

Yes, it makes me sad that people go to hell, so don't jump on my back. Don't preach at me. You don't know me, nor my feelings. Just because I sound "matter-of-fact" doesn't mean that I AM.

So what do you suggest I do? No, no suggestions needed. I could pray for and preach to others till I'm blue in the face, but I can't "save" them from hell.

So, if you're judging me, you can quit. You're not my judge. You're not God (thank goodness). Take care of your business.

And if I totally misread your intent, and you're not self-righteous, please accept my apologies...

Old 06-25-2010, 01:13 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Okay so I just finished reading the entire thread and I am completely shocked by the answers I got. I'm seriously at a complete loss for words. I don't know what to say. At first everything was okay and I thought I was getting some positive feedback. But then page 2 from then on was just crazy answers. Like wow!! I'm so in shock of it all. I'm wigging out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality