Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 03:42 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry I posted this in another thread but I decided I want to get others opinion on this. I can't wrap my head around the fact that many people just accept that they will go to hell! Like seriously! This is nuts! And yes, I'm talking about Atheist too! I've read from various websites and forums that Atheist, even not believing in a higher deity, know that they have a possibility of going to hell and they accept this! I'm so shocked. Even if you mock it and don't believe it, I HIGHLY DOUBT hell is a place anyone wants to go! It doesn't sound appealing AT ALL! Heaven is promised to us by Jesus Christ! If you believe he died on the cross for your sins! I don't understand what is so hard about that! And why people don't want to follow the rules set for us in the bible! And even if you fall back, you pray for forgiveness! Why do you want to be held guilty when the Lord returns? You really don't want to go to heaven after living in this evil-filled world? I'm having a hard time understanding why would anyone would NOT want to be in eternal life and happiness after death?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 03:54 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Why a believer in heaven and hell would not prefer heaven is beyond me but when you find someone that is absolutely not concerned about where they will be after death, you've probably found an atheist.

Old 06-25-2010, 03:55 AM

17 posts, read 22,394 times
Maybe a year or two ago I never cared. I thought about it once or twice and my only feelings on it were basically "Who gives a crap?" I think this came from being centered around my mortal life. It was only a few months ago I came to be ridiculously scared of death due to my intuition informing me that the end of the world will most likely be seen in my lifetime. Since then I've been working intensely to decide what I believe in and trying to change my personality for the better. I'm still not fully devoted. And I still have some sense of "I don't really give a ****" floating around. It's hard to imagine there being some other realm of existence past this material world. It's a hard thing to believe in.

I'm only speaking for myself here, but that's why I easily accepted that I might go to Hell.

That may explain somewhat how they feel as well. Hope it helped your brain a bit. Sorry if not lol

Old 06-25-2010, 04:00 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm sorry I posted this in another thread but I decided I want to get others opinion on this. I can't wrap my head around the fact that many people just accept that they will go to hell! Like seriously! This is nuts! And yes, I'm talking about Atheist too! I've read from various websites and forums that Atheist, even not believing in a higher deity, know that they have a possibility of going to hell and they accept this! I'm so shocked. Even if you mock it and don't believe it, I HIGHLY DOUBT hell is a place anyone wants to go! It doesn't sound appealing AT ALL! Heaven is promised to us by Jesus Christ! If you believe he died on the cross for your sins! I don't understand what is so hard about that! And why people don't want to follow the rules set for us in the bible! And even if you fall back, you pray for forgiveness! Why do you want to be held guilty when the Lord returns? You really don't want to go to heaven after living in this evil-filled world? I'm having a hard time understanding why would anyone would NOT want to be in eternal life and happiness after death?!
Because! Exclamation marks live in heaven! Periods and question marks live in hell! I hate exclamation marks! I really would much rather prefer question marks and periods! I hate the fact that the English language even has an exclamation mark! Why do people use exclamation marks when they're asking a question! It's the craziest thing on this planet! I cannot honestly believe that people would use exclamation marks so uniformly throughout a single post! They are to be used sparingly, are they not! In heaven, they also don't separate their lines of text in paragraphs! The wall of text is heavenly! The paragraph breaks are hellish! In heaven, one can write forever and ever! In hell, one is restricted to a single thought process by the use of paragraphs! Oh, the humanity! I cannot even fathom what heaven would be like! Exclamation marks everywhere!!!!111!!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:02 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
If we get to heaven what are we supposed to do there?

Old 06-25-2010, 04:05 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What you and most others fail to understand is this:

1) THERE IS NO HEAVEN

2) THERE IS NO HELL

3) IF THERE IS A GOD HE HIDES SOMEWHERE MOST OF THE TIME AND DOESN'T GIVE A BIG RAT'S ARSE ABOUT WHAT HAPPENS ON THIS PLANET

4) DEAD IS DEAD...THAT'S WHY THEY CALL IT DEAD!

Old 06-25-2010, 04:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
This is Pascal's wager is a repackaged form. The answer is, if another religion is the right one, you are going to hell for not believing in it. Doesn't that worry you?

No, because you are sure that your religion is the right one.

We are equally sure that you can't be sure and that the concept of hell just a man - made myth anyway.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:15 AM

17 posts, read 22,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
If we get to heaven what are we supposed to do there?
Well if the idea of heaven is correct then God is supposed to make it perfect for everyone. Since we as humans MUST have variety and change at least every now and again, I would say heaven is probably full of it. Keeping you completely entertained for an eternity. Maybe he's an amazing movie producer with an incomprehensibly vast imagination and a neverending selection of amazing actors and actresses. =D Or maybe that need for change is removed completely from the composition of your personality. Maye we no longer have personalities at all. Or Maybe it's full of ecstacy pills!! blue dolphins and pumas everywhere!! Wow that was gonna be like one sentence. Oops. Anyway the basic idea is that we can't possibly imagine.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:21 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polymathic Hunt View Post
Maybe he's an amazing movie producer with an incomprehensibly vast imagination and a neverending selection of amazing actors and actresses. =D Or maybe that need for change is removed completely from the composition of your personality. Maye we no longer have personalities at all. Or Maybe it's full of ecstacy pills!! blue dolphins and pumas everywhere!! .
Yeah...maybe a sweet ant can eat a bale of hay.

Old 06-25-2010, 04:23 AM

2,203 posts, read 5,085,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
This is Pascal's wager is a repackaged form. The answer is, if another religion is the right one, you are going to hell for not believing in it. Doesn't that worry you?

No, because you are sure that your religion is the right one.

We are equally sure that you can't be sure and that the concept of hell just a man - made myth anyway.
This is my feeling too. What you don't realize, OP, is that as passionate as you are about YOUR beliefs.....evveryone else on earth is just as passionate about theirs...and to many, your belief system is crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality