Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 12:55 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,457,081 times

Advertisements

"Actually, most atheists or non-believers were raised xian.
I've read the bible several times, it was a requirement in the parochial schools I attended. As you can see on many threads, xians know very little about their religion. Based on so many posts on CD, I look at xianity as the religion of hate.

So you never have to be responsible for your actions or words because your god thing is forgiving? Funny, I was raised with the concept of restitution and not repeating past transgressions."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I see many non-believers were once Christian. I don't know why they rejected their faith, maybe you never had it? I don't know, but something must have happened to turn you off. Some come back though when they look at the why honestly and get to the bottom of it. Everyone must work out their own salvation, that is for sure.

As far as being forgiven of our sins---of course we need to ask for forgiveness with the attitude of making restitution and not committing sin again. If we don't ask with sincerity then we are just mouthing words and we won't be forgiven. God knows our hearts, we can't hide our true feelings from God.

We always have to be responsible for our action and words, I said feelings are not action and words. It's what we do with the feelings that are important. Do we take them a step further and commit the sin or keep our feelings in check so they do not turn into sin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
And there you have it. For years, Christians have destroyed other religions and cultures and forced others to believe as they do (in fact, they're STILL doing that today...) and now that they're losing their majority, they're getting pissed that people are standing up and telling them to knock it off??

They impede science, they stop rational thought, destroy cultures, use politics to further their agenda all while denying they're doing it and expect us all to just smile and nod??

Not gonna happen. I've met a lot of really great Christians, but even if they weren't Christian they would still be wonderful people. I don't think being a Christian makes you any better of a person.
Do you have examples? You say our government is not Christian so no fair in saying what our government does or has done.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:16 AM

Default Whenever I have doubts I see people like this brave man---

And I am astounded how wonderfully God works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUas9...eature=related

About Nick | Life Without Limbs :: Nick Vujicic

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4uG2kSdd-4

Last edited by janelle144; 06-28-2010 at 01:32 AM..

Old 06-28-2010, 01:39 AM

494 posts, read 888,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Right. He works so 'wonderfully' that he's never bothered to regrow an amputee's limbs.

Look, you might enjoy quaffing the koolaid but there are a lot of us that recognize it for what it is, and advanced intellectually beyond the desire for a false security blanket. You want to hang onto it, fine. Just don't tell us how fluffy and warm that blankie is when we can see it doesn't even exist.

Old 06-28-2010, 01:55 AM

Seven Days With Nick | Life Without Limbs :: Nick Vujicic (http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/seven-days-nick - broken link)

Nick may help you on your journey to a personal relationship with God for those who want to take the journey. If this man can be happy through knowing God I think you can as well. Don't let the unhappy people out there affect you.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:06 AM

33,511 posts, read 37,039,582 times
Quote:
"Actually, most atheists or non-believers were raised xian.
I've read the bible several times, it was a requirement in the parochial schools I attended. As you can see on many threads, xians know very little about their religion. Based on so many posts on CD, I look at xianity as the religion of hate.

So you never have to be responsible for your actions or words because your god thing is forgiving? Funny, I was raised with the concept of restitution and not repeating past transgressions."
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I see many non-believers were once Christian. I don't know why they rejected their faith, maybe you never had it? I don't know, but something must have happened to turn you off. Some come back though when they look at the why honestly and get to the bottom of it. Everyone must work out their own salvation, that is for sure.

As far as being forgiven of our sins---of course we need to ask for forgiveness with the attitude of making restitution and not committing sin again. If we don't ask with sincerity then we are just mouthing words and we won't be forgiven. God knows our hearts, we can't hide our true feelings from God.

We always have to be responsible for our action and words, I said feelings are not action and words. It's what we do with the feelings that are important. Do we take them a step further and commit the sin or keep our feelings in check so they do not turn into sin?
I rejected it because after years of questioning, researching the origins of various religions and learning about how things really work, I realized the impossibility of it all.

Old 06-28-2010, 02:27 AM

What answer did you come to on how things really work?

Old 06-28-2010, 03:03 AM

33,511 posts, read 37,039,582 times
Quote:
What answer did you come to on how things really work?
First of all I discovered some of the reasons people invented religion and all that goes with it. Fear of the unknown, including death, a way to explain what they didn't understand, like what causes illness, etc., and as a method of obtaining control over the masses through fear of punishment (hell) and reward (everlasting life in heaven)....

There is the natural world and all that it entails...Nothing supernatural...We live and if we are smart, live well, gain knowledge, pass that knowledge on to the next generation, then we die. Despite all of the wishful thinking of all the religions in this world, I believe that death is the end for every individual...The only part of us that lives on is that which we pass on to the next generation through our genes and knowledge.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,900,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
First of all I discovered some of the reasons people invented religion and all that goes with it. Fear of the unknown, including death, a way to explain what they didn't understand, like what causes illness, etc., and as a method of obtaining control over the masses through fear of punishment (hell) and reward (everlasting life in heaven)....

There is the natural world and all that it entails...Nothing supernatural...We live and if we are smart, live well, gain knowledge, pass that knowledge on to the next generation, then we die. Despite all of the wishful thinking of all the religions in this world, I believe that death is the end for every individual...The only part of us that lives on is that which we pass on to the next generation through our genes and knowledge.
Yes. Religion came about in part as a result of so much unknown and unexplainable. Much of what we understand today was at one time explained as supernatural or magic. As we learn the truth about the universe we exist in, and as we are able to explain and understand more, the need for religion wanes. Today we understand natural processes, mathematical and physical laws, etc. Not too long ago such things were explained as the Hand of God.

Old 06-28-2010, 06:54 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,653,939 times
Default Many believe or disbelieve without checking the evidence

Dr. Hugh Ross, scientist, astronomer, lecturer, has unshakable confidence that God's revelations in Scripture and nature do not, will not, and cannot contradict one another.

Among his many books: The Fingerprint of God, The Creator and the Cosmos, Beyond the Cosmos, The Genesis Question, A Matter of Days, Creation As Science, Why the Universe Is the Way It Is, and More Than a Theory.

Dr. Ross grew up amid the splendor of Canada's mountains, wildlife, and waterways and loves the outdoors.
His love of the world around him, curiosity about the universe and why it is the way it is led him to also study the world's religions and holy books; he found only one book that proved scientifically and historically accurate: the Bible. Hugh started at religious "ground zero" and through scientific and historical reality-testing became convinced that the Bible is truly the Word of God! When he went on to describe for others his journey to faith in Jesus Christ, he was surprised to discover how many people believe or disbelieve without checking evidence.

Reasons To Believe: Hugh Ross, Fazale Rana, Kenneth Samples, David Rogstad, Jeff Zweerink

He received a provincial scholarship and a National Research Council (NRC) of Canada fellowship, has a degree in physics (University of British Columbia) and graduate degrees in astronomy (University of Toronto). The NRC also sent him to the United States for postdoctoral studies.

What partially drives non-believing people to attack, minimize, dis
or otherwise criticize Christianity is what Dr. Ross has discovered: many people believe or disbelieve without checking evidence.

Another factor is people's deep fear that IF they acknowledge the existence of God, then they will be accountable to someone other than themselves. They are unwilling to give up what they think is self determination to be captains of their own ships, masters of their own lives.

Therefore, to assuage the guilt, they attack Christianity as people of Christ's day persecuted Him and His followers.

Last edited by swbtoo; 06-28-2010 at 07:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality