Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 11:17 PM

4,458 posts, read 4,191,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The "attacks" on Christianity are simply reason knocking on the door.
Who's reason?
Quote:
Reality and Christianity parted ways long ago.
Who's reality?
Quote:
Christianity has not kept up with the 21st century.
Christianity has no need to keep up with anything, what have we fallen behind on?
Quote:
Its followers can cling to their faith as much as they want, but in the end, it won't save them from the facts.
Christianity has no need to keep up with anything, what have we fallen behind on? It's called faith for a reason and what facts are you refering to?
Quote:
Unfortunately, people don't respond well when the beliefs they base their reality on come crashing down. They tend to hold on to them even tighter. They become even more defensive, hence this thread.
Being tired of the constant attacks on my religion is not being defensive, it is a statement of fact.
Quote:
But, in the larger scheme of things, the same thing is happening (or will soon happen) to everyone.
Care to expound?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 11:22 PM

3,197 posts, read 2,852,706 times
I've got a question. Are Christians who go to college hypocrites if they take science courses? Or are Christian professors hypocrites for teaching science if they do? The reason I ask is because science says we evolved from the monkey or whatever. But Christians say Moderator cut: deleted we were created by god. If they believe one thing and then choose to teach or learn another thing, is that not hypocritical?

Last edited by june 7th; 06-27-2010 at 12:20 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 PM

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DifferentDrum View Post
What real harm is actually being done to you, except for a ruffling of your ego feathers? Don't you have things to be thankful for? Aren't there people who treat you kindly?
I have many things to be thankful for but the constant attack on my faith is tiresome and so I am saying so.

Quote:
It's one thing to fall short once in awhile, it's quite another to consciously make a list that maligns people IN THE SAME WAY that you hate being maligned!! Too funny!
I always fall short, I am a sinner. I believe that few can live up to certain expectations that non Christians place upon us.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:25 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRUEGRITT View Post
Who's reason? Who's reality? Christianity has no need to keep up with anything, what have we fallen behind on? Christianity has no need to keep up with anything, what have we fallen behind on? It's called faith for a reason and what facts are you refering to? Being tired of the constant attacks on my religion is not being defensive, it is a statement of fact. Care to expound?
Reason doesn't have a "who" attached to it, it's for everybody. If we found out that aliens populated this planet 300,000 years ago and there was scientific proof, are you saying that even under those conditions, Christianity would not need to keep up? Christians adhere to their faith as if it was factual, which is not the best way to respond to life. Life throws curves, it requires people sometimes abandon their most personal beliefs in order to grow. For Christianity to resist any outside influences only serves to both obsolete and destroy itself. And yes, I do believe that "being tired" of "constant" attacks IS being defensive. Finally, so much is going to happen in such a short period of time, that anyone on this planet who clings to their beliefs without assimilating new data, new facts, new revelations, will certainly not be invited to the next phase. Obviously, I have different "religious" views of what's going on nowadays.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
I've got a question. Are Christians who go to college hypocrites if they take science courses? Or are Christian professors hypocrites for teaching science if they do? The reason I ask is because science says we evolved from the monkey or whatever. But Christians say BS we were created by god. If they believe one thing and then choose to teach or learn another thing, is that not hypocritical?
No, it's not. I believe in evolution but I don't believe I was descended by a monkey. I also believe the earth is whatever billions of years old, not 6000 or whatever. Christians ARE capable of being scientific too. You know you should hang out with some Christians sometimes, we're more down-to-earth than you realize

Old 06-26-2010, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
No, it's not. I believe in evolution but I don't believe I was descended by a monkey. I also believe the earth is whatever billions of years old, not 6000 or whatever. Christians ARE capable of being scientific too. You know you should hang out with some Christians sometimes, we're more down-to-earth than you realize
I was a Christian up until a year ago, now I'm more agnostic. My parents and family are Christian so I do know they are down to earth.

To the bold: What do you believe then was the original being or organism that we started evolving from? In your mind.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:35 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
Quote:
I was a Christian up until a year ago, now I'm more agnostic. My parents and family are Christian so I do know they are down to earth.

To the bold: What do you believe then was the original being or organism that we started evolving from? In your mind.
To your question: I'm not sure. I don't believe in accidents and coincidences when it comes to the formation of the universe or of life itself, is the best way I can answer that question. However I do accept the fact that our closest living relatives are the apes though I don't think that answers the question?

Old 06-26-2010, 11:39 PM

Quote:
I've got a question. Are Christians who go to college hypocrites if they take science courses? Or are Christian professors hypocrites for teaching science if they do? The reason I ask is because science says we evolved from the monkey or whatever. But Christians say BS we were created by god. If they believe one thing and then choose to teach or learn another thing, is that not hypocritical?
This is going to be tough for me to say because I do not want to judge but part of being a Christian is having Faith that God created everything including man. I cannot crawl into another mans head and try to figure out his thought process.

For me, the one most important thing is accepting that Jesus, the son of God, is my savior. If I fail this, nothing else matters. After that, no two Christians will be exactly alike on everything.

I know there are Christian scientists who are working to make science and the bible square up by explaining scientifically how stories in the Bible could have happened.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:45 PM

Quote:
This will surprise you but I believe in evolution after God created man. How else can you explain the vast varieties of humans, and all living things and I do not think that goes against what the bible says. I also believe the world and the universe are much older than some are saying but there is nothing in the bible that says how old the universe is. It is speculation based on the genealogy of the bible. The problem with that is they do not know how long people lived or how many times man has been nearly wiped out.

Old 06-26-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
To your question: I'm not sure. I don't believe in accidents and coincidences when it comes to the formation of the universe or of life itself, is the best way I can answer that question. However I do accept the fact that our closest living relatives are the apes though I don't think that answers the question?
It sort of is and sort of isn't. You say you don't know what we evolved from but except the fact that we evolved and believe that our closest relatives are apes. I guess the question is why DON'T you believe that we evolved from apes then? I suppose thats the question that has me puzzled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality