Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 09:31 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times

Advertisements

For those that are interested.

BBC News - Catholic leaders skewer Paul Ryan budget plan

"Rising Republican star Paul Ryan has been condemned by Catholic leaders for saying his controversial budget plan was inspired by church teaching.
Faculty members and priests at Georgetown University said they could not condone a spending plan they warned would hurt society's most vulnerable."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 12:00 PM

8,262 posts, read 18,489,494 times
I think more people who call themselves "Christians" should remember Jesus' words--"What you do unto the least of these you do unto me." So you can choose to have your taxes pay to kill thru miltary might. Thru execution of criminals. Or by not providing basic health care to the sick. But for a group of people who seem so worried about thier souls and eternity, you sure are hypocrites when it comes to doing what your "savior" asked you to do!!

Old 04-26-2012, 12:13 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,293,195 times
paul ryan is about as much of a catholic as richard dawkins

to be a catholic in the true and original sense , you must be in favour of redistribution of wealth in a big way , ryan should join one of those baptist churches which are right wing on economic issues , classic catholicism is left wing on economic issues

Old 04-26-2012, 02:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Gee it seems the religious thread is turning into the political thread, in this case, let's bash Paul Ryan....I guess if in order to be a good Catholic one must believe in the distribution of wealth, there are only a handful of really good Catholics?? What about the Catholics that practice birth contol? Are they all bad Catholics in your mind? I bet that is a different story, huh?

Nita

Old 04-26-2012, 03:09 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,955,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Gee it seems the religious thread is turning into the political thread, in this case, let's bash Paul Ryan....I guess if in order to be a good Catholic one must believe in the distribution of wealth, there are only a handful of really good Catholics?? What about the Catholics that practice birth contol? Are they all bad Catholics in your mind? I bet that is a different story, huh?

Nita
Do you work at being this obtuse or does it just come naturally?

Paul Ryan has been trotting out his Catholicism as justification for his policies lately.
Only on Brody File: Paul Ryan Says His Catholic Faith Helped Shape Budget Plan

That's the issue -- It's not whether or not Ryan is a 'good Catholic', it's that he wraps his arms around the church whenever convenient to justify his policies, thereby inviting his policies to be judged on a Catholic basis. Try actually paying attention for once.

Of course, it's Paul Ryan, who can't decide if the 'wisdom' of Ayn Rand is "sorely needed"...

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=1191939045695
Quote:
It doesn't surprise me that sales of The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged have surged lately with the Obama administration coming in because it's that kind of thinking, that kind of writing, that is sorely needed right now. And I think a lot of people would observe that we are right now living in an Ayn Rand novel, metaphorically speaking. [...] Ayn Rand, more than anyone else, did a fantastic job of explaining the morality of capitalism, the morality of individualism, and this to me is what matters most. It is not enough to say that President Obama's taxes are too big or the health care plan doesn't work for this or that policy reason. It is the morality of what is occurring right now and how it offends the morality of individuals working toward their own free will to produce, to achieve, to succeed, that is under attack. And it is that what I think Ayn Rand would be commenting on, which we need that kind of comment more than ever.
...or must be rejected...

Paul Ryan: I Reject Ayn Rand, She?s an Atheist! | Religion Dispatches
Quote:
I reject her philosophy [...] It’s an atheist philosophy. It reduces human interactions down to mere contracts and it is antithetical to my worldview. If somebody is going to try to paste a person’s view on epistemology to me, then give me Thomas Aquinas [...] Don’t give me Ayn Rand.
Par for the course for Ryan...

Last edited by Green Onions; 04-26-2012 at 03:50 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:

Nita
classic catholicism is in favour of the redistribution of wealth , contraception is not relevant to the thread title , paul ryan has drawn attention to himself with his hypocritical phoney catholicism

Old 04-26-2012, 11:17 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,630 times
Many of us were surprised the bishops rejected it, I heard originally they didn't but had a change of heart, they usually go along with the republican party..

Old 04-27-2012, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
Many of us were surprised the bishops rejected it, I heard originally they didn't but had a change of heart, they usually go along with the republican party..
why would catholic bishops go along with a party which is quintesentially WASP, sh ?

Old 04-27-2012, 05:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Onions View Post
Do you work at being this obtuse or does it just come naturally?

Paul Ryan has been trotting out his Catholicism as justification for his policies lately.
Only on Brody File: Paul Ryan Says His Catholic Faith Helped Shape Budget Plan

That's the issue -- It's not whether or not Ryan is a 'good Catholic', it's that he wraps his arms around the church whenever convenient to justify his policies, thereby inviting his policies to be judged on a Catholic basis. Try actually paying attention for once.

Of course, it's Paul Ryan, who can't decide if the 'wisdom' of Ayn Rand is "sorely needed"...

https://www.facebook.com/video/video...=1191939045695

...or must be rejected...

Paul Ryan: I Reject Ayn Rand, She?s an Atheist! | Religion Dispatches

Par for the course for Ryan...
I am not questioning his policies right now, I was responding to the poster who said Paul was not a good Catholic beause good Catholics believe in spreading the wealth, did you read the posting carefully that I was referring to? That was my only point...nothing more, nothing less.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:31 AM

5,653 posts, read 5,154,499 times
Quote:
I am not questioning his policies right now, I was responding to the poster who said Paul was not a good Catholic beause good Catholics believe in spreading the wealth, did you read the posting carefully that I was referring to? That was my only point...nothing more, nothing less.
Where did i say that? I said "For those that are interested", linked the article and then linked a couple of paragraphs from the article. Where exactly have i offered an opinion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality