Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 PM

608 posts, read 605,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ryrge
Are you expecting one single easy-to-understand -third-grade-level answer to the question of who or what is responsible for your life?
MysticPhD is one poster here that is one of the few that claims he has the answers and gives reasons why....some others claim that they have it but don't give as many eloquent or quasi-scientific reasons as to why you should agree with them.
If you are seeking the ultimate no-questions-about-it answer, join the crowd.

I am not aware of being a mystic, but I have tried mysticism, still I am all rational and logical.

At the risk of offending modesty, I submit that I do have the ultimate explanation and hence the ultimate understanding viz. comprehension of everything in the whole totality of existence.

And that is found in the concept of God (if we are into the world of thinking in our mind, abstaining for the present from the world of reality outside or mind).

And here is my concept of God:
The necessary being maker of everything with a beginning.

I am apprehensive that some people here could be very annoyed with my repetition of that concept of God, in which case they should also be very annoyed with having to breathe normally through their nose all the time repeatedly and expect to breathe that way for many years.

Ryrge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:03 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,177,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryrge View Post
At the risk of offending modesty, I submit that I do have the ultimate explanation and hence the ultimate understanding viz. comprehension of everything in the whole totality of existence.

Ryrge
Oh! Cool. I'm happy for you.
(Still don't understand why all the questions you seem to want answered but that's probably just my lack)

Old 06-30-2010, 06:32 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,712,358 times
Quote:
Does anyone here have any ultimate understanding viz. comprehension of anything at all, e.g., the nose in your face?
No, human knowledge is and will probably always be incomplete. No one knows everything. Some people are reasonable enough to accept that limit (which isn't all that limiting in the long run) while others irrationally make up things like gods to pretend that they know more than they really do.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:29 PM

2,332 posts, read 2,838,501 times
The thing as an entity is the relatively, always, improvable concept of the 'separate from self' being. The thing as a thing: that now is ultimate. But that absolute may in some idealisms, as Subjective idealism, not really be or exist.

I feel that the fact of people existing separate of each other seems to embarrass today's lay Jews when subjected to the scrutiny of comparing similar ideals about Things, that was instead much less abnormal to clear from the mental concerns of social philosophy during the sixties.

Is subjectivity a reality with respect to oneself? Nowadays the idea 'oneself' must be meaningful to the normal moral occident for most ordinary cultural exercises in people's social engagement.

K.K.

Old 07-01-2010, 01:33 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,069 times
Default Bingo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgnostic
"Nowadays the idea 'oneself' must be meaningful to the normal moral occident for most ordinary cultural exercises in people's social engagement."
Hmmm...

I vote tgnostic should answer all of Ryrge's posts and questions in the future. He's the only one here who might have the ability to communicate in Ryrge's unique thinking and expressions.

Anyone else agree?

Old 07-01-2010, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Hmmm...

I vote tgnostic should answer all of Ryrge's posts and questions in the future. He's the only one here who might have the ability to communicate in Ryrge's unique thinking and expressions.

Anyone else agree?
It'd be like two entries in a Turing Test battling it out.

Not sure if that's an argument for or against the idea, though.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:37 AM

608 posts, read 605,375 times
Default ...it is only us humans seeking explanation, understanding, comprehension of things...

To know what is an ultimate explanation and therefore also what is an ultimate understanding viz. comprehension of a thing, you and I every human must keep in his mind that it is only us humans seeking explanation, understanding, comprehension of things, starting with our each one's existence and also existence in the generic sense.

Consider this observation when you if ever visit an asylum for the insane, do they seek explanation or understanding or comprehension of anything at all?

So, people who do not concern themselves with explanation, understanding, comprehension of things, they are into insanity, of course of the mild, harmless, non-violent kind.

You have got to be what the Romans call compos mentis* to exhibit the peculiarly human feature of the quest for explanations in everything.

Okay, all you guys who are compos mentis, are you accessible [sic] to the idea of what is an explanation of anything as the response to essentially either or both of two questions, the why and the how of a thing, an event, or an act?

Ryrge

*Compos mentis (Latin), roughly in English equivalent to composed of mind.

Old 07-07-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
To know what is an ultimate explanation and therefore also what is an ultimate understanding viz. comprehension of a thing, you and I every human must keep in his mind that it is only us humans seeking explanation, understanding, comprehension of things, starting with our each one's existence and also existence in the generic sense.
Yes, humans investigate things. Very good.

Quote:
Consider this observation when you if ever visit an asylum for the insane, do they seek explanation or understanding or comprehension of anything at all?
Depends on their particular diseases, I guess. Any evidence showing this sort of introspection is more less prevalent than in the general population?

Quote:
So, people who do not concern themselves with explanation, understanding, comprehension of things, they are into insanity, of course of the mild, harmless, non-violent kind.
Oh, never mind, it's just a back door to say that people who reject your idea that god is the ultimate super-special answer to everything are insane. No point in answering this, since you're just making it up as you go along anyway.

Quote:
You have got to be what the Romans call compos mentis* to exhibit the peculiarly human feature of the quest for explanations in everything.
Again, asserting that only smart people try to answer the huge questions that you're pretending to have answers to and that anyone who rejects them are just idiots. Do you have anything other than insults to offer? Someone who actually had logic or reason on their side wouldn't have to stoop to simple-minded tricks like this.

Quote:
Okay, all you guys who are compos mentis, are you accessible [sic] to the idea of what is an explanation of anything as the response to essentially either or both of two questions, the why and the how of a thing, an event, or an act?
What's the difference between the two questions? I get the idea that no matter how detailed an explanation you're given you'll continue to pretend that one of these questions can only be answered by assuming some sort of supernatural magical god. Not as if pretending it is magic adds anything to our understanding...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality