Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 02:06 PM

63 posts, read 488,035 times

Advertisements

I watched the documentary, Hell House recently and did some research on Hell Houses. I was astounded to find out that a Reverand from Arvada has taken the idea and run with it. He sells Hell House kits and all.

I am wondering if anybody has ever been to one of these things? Why did you go? Would you go back?

I personally found them disturbing and offensive; however the documentary is really good. I can't help but be curious about these Hell Houses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 06:48 AM

237 posts, read 1,081,343 times
What in the world are Hell Houses?

Old 10-30-2007, 09:34 AM

63 posts, read 488,035 times
Halloween hell houses, judgment houses and revelation walks

This short article should give you an idea of what they are like.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 AM

237 posts, read 1,081,343 times
Default My Opinion

That was certainly an interesting read. I'd never heard of Hell Houses before reading that article.

Personally, I don't believe in practices that create fear or grossly overexaggerates (or simply makes up) facts. Nothing good has ever come from this. Besides fear breeds anger and intolerance. What good has ever resulted from these?

I agree with Rev. J.T. Tucker's statement: "I detest.....Trying to scare people into a decision [for Jesus]...If you consider all the money, along with ministry hours...if they would refocus those areas on missions in urban Dallas, I think they would have a lot bigger return..."

All of that being said, it seems this Hell House "kit" is outrageously priced. Perhaps Keenan Roberts may have had more motivation for making $ than making Christians.

Old 03-17-2008, 01:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,251 times
Thumbs up Hell House

[

I have personally headed up one of these events at my church and it is an amazing way to rach teens, and it is a powerful tool. When you think about all influx of video games, MTV, movies etc... The best way to reach a teen is by using the same in your fave approach. I can say that amazing things happened during this outreach-mind blowing, unexplainable things that I can only attribute to God. If you ahven't been to one, I would really urge you to go.
quote=marie_co;1860529]I watched the documentary, Hell House recently and did some research on Hell Houses. I was astounded to find out that a Reverand from Arvada has taken the idea and run with it. He sells Hell House kits and all.

I am wondering if anybody has ever been to one of these things? Why did you go? Would you go back?

I personally found them disturbing and offensive; however the documentary is really good. I can't help but be curious about these Hell Houses.[/quote]

Old 03-17-2008, 01:38 PM

1,312 posts, read 7,916,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie_co View Post
I personally found them disturbing and offensive; however the documentary is really good.
That's the point. They want people to give in to God's power and work to ask God to forgive them for their sins.

I've never been as that's not my kind of thing. All-in-good-fun scared is more my cup of tea.

Old 03-17-2008, 03:13 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,954,027 times
Whatever floats someones boat I guess - as long as people are fully aware of what they are entering and not being tricked into thinking that it is a regular haunted house. I found that little line a bit disturbing - people not knowing what it is until they've paid the money and already started through.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:34 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,417,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkcoop View Post
Whatever floats someones boat I guess - as long as people are fully aware of what they are entering and not being tricked into thinking that it is a regular haunted house. I found that little line a bit disturbing - people not knowing what it is until they've paid the money and already started through.
They know what they are going into, basicaly it is in the church.

They are doing exactly what they want. My brother used to attend the church that did the origonal "hell house" off of wadsworth. I have never been, really never needed to go.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,196,724 times
Unfortunately, there are many who use Jesus's name just to make money. I would not like to be in their shoes when they actually meet him.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:11 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Is this the same "mega church" in Arvada where the shootings took place?

Anywho, I've read about this before and found it offensive. Just more religious extremism, if you ask me. And I fail to understand how people fall for these mega churches that are run like businesses. Too much power and money goes to to few people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality