Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 04:46 PM

1,530 posts, read 3,943,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
My nephew just left, and I was astonished at the things he was saying, and wondering if any of you feel the same as him. He said within two years we would have a new world order; the USA will be a third world country. He said that the one world currency is already here, and will be put in use within this time. He and his family have stockpiled a ton of food and water. You name it; they have it figured out. They have invested in quite a few guns and ammo to keep people away who haven't prepared, as they have.

He said what was coming will make the depression look like a cake walk. Farmers won't be able to afford gas for their machines. They won't be able to produce food, and if they could, trucks won't be able to afford the gas to get food to us. Big cities will shut down, but, a lot of small towns will oppose the government, and take up arms against them. . He said FEMA will be in charge.and those who haven't prepared will starve to death, our current money, gold, etc... won't be worth anything.

He said all you have to do is watch what is happening with Israel to see these things. He was telling me that we had better start stockpiling NOW! I'm someone who struggles with faith, and I was telling him that I had a lot of questions to ask him. (But right now, it's Friday evening, and I have to get ready to go out to dinner) He said the bible does NOT contradict itself, and that he could explain anything I asked him about God, Jesus, the bible. It's been my understanding that God doesn't want anyone to worry about planning ahead.

Have any of you prepared to this extent, or know anyone who has?

i have heard this a lot lately. they call them prepers.check out the self reliance board on here it talks more about it. yeah i think its always a good idea to have extra food, water, and supplies on hand just in case of an emergency situation. you never know, earthquake volcano you just cant say what might happen. but i dont believe in the 2012 garbage either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 05:02 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,622,146 times
Jess5 wrote:
Quote:
He's my nephew through marriage.
I hate to nitpick but I don't know what that statement means. A nephew is either your sister or brother's son. I don't know of any way of acquiring a nephew through marriage. Just saying. Not only that but he sounds very paranoid and appears to be wasting his life preparing for an event that isn't even going to happen.

Old 08-13-2010, 05:10 PM

4,082 posts, read 5,042,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I think your relative sound a little bit unstable and could probably use a certain amount of psychotherapy and deprogramming. There's been a lot of this "End Times" cult talk ever since Obama was elected because apparently he's the Antichrist and secretly has a communist flag tucked away in his desk in the Oval Office.

The far extremes of the religious right have always been known for their paranoid delusions when it comes to this type of stuff. They love to take anything they can get their hands on as a reason to fulfill and satiate their delusions and fantasies. Having 24/7 news media and people like Rush Limbaugh programmed into Christian Radio is a big part of this as well.

I doubt your relative would ever consider seeking help over this but, personally, I would recommend it to him. Just plant the seeds of what good therapy can do.

He is also a muslim and not a real american...... Run its the end times....lol

Old 08-13-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
Oh I remember back in the 90's when I was in church (a doomsday end of times mark of the beast new world order church) and we were preparing for the end times. I am embarrassed now that I think back about it. Goes in my Hall Of Shame memory file.... when debit cards were introduced backed then we were encouraged to stock up on water and food because that was the sure sign that the return of that guy was near! HaHa! So glad I clawed my way out.

lol

Old 08-13-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Agreed. Of course, such dire predictions have always been around, but then we also now have the largest-ever world population and the highest consumption of EVERYTHING per capita and also in absolute terms of any time in history. We also have the greatest number of people easily traveling around this globe, potentially spreading very communicable and potentially lethal, well-evolved diseases. We also have a new age of terrorism at hand, with large numbers of unethical and truly evil people out there. Many hiding behind a guise of devout religion.

Therefore we're more exposed and vulnerable than ever before. But... we also have the best technologies and resources to deal with threats, and the best medicine and communications we've ever had, so it all does tend to be moderated to some degree.

But I surely would not completely discount an "event", or a series of events that would create a Domino's effect; some global catastrophes or act of large-scale terrorism (say, several simultaneously detonated dirty bombs over LA, Chicago, NYC, Phoenix and WA, DC, which would in turn instigate instantaneous martial law), and a feedback-reaction from the gun owning, vigorously Constitutionalistic citizens of America, and a breakdown in transportation, communications (What? No Internet? No cell phones? No TEXTING! ) and civility. Plus, of course, an over-reaction from the more rabid elements of various fanatic religions.

OH......MY......GOD!!

So... a "predictable" (and wishfully anticipated...) End Times scenario cometh, but of course not really. "Just an unfortunate accumulation of unfavorable circumstances!", as an old fellow engineer once told me... No-one's coming to save you, folks. Learn to be at least marginally SELF-SUFFICIENT!

Oh, and be realists!

As to your dire-predicting relative: where does he get HIS quality information from? Which frantic scenario does he espouse and hope for? Is he religious, or associated with a para-militia organization? What does he think of that blabbermouth hothead mega-uber-egotist and environmentally illiterate Rush Limbaugh ("Hey!; I'm just here to entertain you folks! And the Gulf oil leak will heal itself! Just like Prince William Sound did! [*NOT*]). [How terribly sad that folks just lean in, ears cocked forward, and praise him and his nonsense....].

Well, rant rant, huh? Please; do enjoy your afternoon. After all, soon it'll all be in the hands of Satan
Suddenly felt the need to stock up and go buy a few firearms and go into the woods far far away.....

Old 08-17-2010, 08:20 AM

25 posts, read 63,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
I do not believe that stuff..It is a manmade fortune teller type doctrine designed to draw followers and money from the ones who have been convinced that there are secret messages and codes in the bible..

But if I did believe that doctrine, and if I did frantically store up all the things they say I will need..(Some outfits even sell the survival packs) it would be showing my lack of faith or trust in the words of Christ when he said "do not worry about tomorrow" meaning that with Him our needs are taken care of daily
Excellent post,couldn't agree more.

IMHO most of these "types" are more into listening to insane radio hosts and reading blogs of other crazies rather than reading,understanding the Bible and fellowshipping with the LORD...they are the folks you should keep an eye out for on your local news station one night who've jumped the tracks and went off on someone or some place they feel is evil.

Scary bunch really.

Old 08-17-2010, 10:57 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
the end of advanced human civilization is a question of time.!! not if..!! but when.. one only has to look at all the chaos in the world to see where mankind is heading. it's going to be a combination of natural disasters, and our own doing. in the end it mostly will be our selfishness thats the final straw..everything has limits.!!

Dozens killed as bomber hits Iraq army recruits - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - Conflict in Iraq - msnbc.com

recent news^^^

Old 08-17-2010, 11:04 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,183,065 times
cruxan, I hate to agree with you, but you're probably right.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:37 PM

7,725 posts, read 12,618,642 times
I don't understand why anyone would prepare for the last days when clearly the bible says Jesus will rapture us on that faithful day. You don't have to prepare anything. Unless you plan on living in sin and are thus preparing for the tribulation.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:14 AM

1,807 posts, read 1,891,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Agreed. Of course, such dire predictions have always been around, but then we also now have the largest-ever world population and the highest consumption of EVERYTHING per capita and also in absolute terms of any time in history.
Sobering food-for-thought: According to current predictions and estimates, in the next one to two hundred years, Earth will no longer have enough resources to adequately support the human race.

Scary thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality