Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 05:01 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,988,180 times

Advertisements

Seems like I just walked into the Twilight Zone.

As for the OP, I just chalk up the story as one that derived from the mind of someone who had too much to drink or eat on a particular night. It was most likely their way of saying it was a VERY long day during that battle but they had to spice it up. In fact, these biblical accounts of battles always amuse me. Here you have the people of Israel with the biggest, baddest, most powerful god around...creator of the universe they say, and he can't even share advanced military secrets with them. Nuclear bombs! Hello! The best he could come up with was to hold the sun "still" so his people could get maximum slayage on the battlefield? I mean, one genie head snap and the enemy would have been toasted crisp, right? Joshua should have been privy to the big, red button. There would have been NO doubt Israel had the bestest and most bad *bleep* god there is. I am just NOT impressed with this display of power. I give it two thumbs and two big toes down.

NOTE: Strong INTENTIONAL sarcasm used here to MAKE a point. Thank you!

Last edited by InsaneInDaMembrane; 07-07-2010 at 05:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 09:57 AM

2,981 posts, read 5,445,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
What the what? Where did you learn all this? I've never heard anyone (before now) espouse any of this stuff.
You admit that what you think you know only came from what was fed you, and nothing you think you know is the result of personal research or discovered by you in a search for truth.
Why is it that you have had no internal desire to seek and find truth, to "prove all things, and hold fast to that which is good", only?
Were you dulled to dumbness by the information you were fed, so that there was never a curiosity within your inner man, to actually prove the things you were fed?

1Th 5:21Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.

Old 07-07-2010, 10:02 AM

"...Chinese history speaks of Yao, their king, declaring that in his reign the sun stood so long above the horizon that it was feared the world would have been set on fire; and fixes the reign of Yao at a given date, which corresponds with the age of Joshua the son of Nun..."

"T. W. Doane relates the following facts concerning these traditions:
There are many stories similar to this, to be found among other nations of antiquity..." The Day the Sun Stood Still--Joshua's Long Day ....Page 35

Old 07-07-2010, 10:47 AM

"...Herodotus recounts that the priests of Egypt showed him their temple records, and that there he read a strange account of a day that was twice the natural length. Rimmer concludes this section with a lengthy quotation from the Polynesian account of this event...."http://www.s8int.com/page35.html

Old 07-07-2010, 11:25 AM

2,029 posts, read 1,358,162 times
I think it's possible we had a 48 hour day. Like I said, I will do more research on historical records or if astronomers could detect this.
Maybe God slowly and gently stopped the rotation.

But the earth not rotating? How do you explain the other planets in our solar system? I think you should ditch this theory, no different than believing in a flat earth.

Old 07-07-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
I think it's possible we had a 48 hour day. Like I said, I will do more research on historical records or if astronomers could detect this.
Maybe God slowly and gently stopped the rotation.

But the earth not rotating? How do you explain the other planets in our solar system? I think you should ditch this theory, no different than believing in a flat earth.
It wouldn't have been 48 hours, but a twelve hour day [the light time, of a 24 hour day, depending on the time of year and how near the equator] plus the almost twelve extra hours of the 24 hour day that would have been the normal night time of that day. Then the sun set, and night came.
So the period of light was just a bit less than 24 hours total.
And astronomers would know nothing of it today, but ancient sky watchers recorded it, in many nations.

The Bible says the earth is fixed in its place and does not move. The Bible says the sun, moon, and stars run on their courses through the heavens. Not once, but multiple times does the Bible state that the sun rises and sets, east to west, as well as the moon. They follow paths set for them in the beginning, which Enoch was shown by the angel, and recorded exactly.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM

621 posts, read 1,207,887 times
If the earth does not rotate, nor orbit the sun, then how does one explain the behavior of a Foucault pendulum? (Look it up - I'm not going to explain it.) Indeed, even the parallax shift in the position of stars every six months should be enough to indicate that the universe does NOT rotate around the earth.

At any rate, all I can say is if I'm wrong about my beliefs, then I will have to stand in front of God and explain to him why I believed the earth rotated around the sun, which rotated around the center of the galaxy...if indeed it is such a crucial matter. If he casts me into hell because of that, then obviously it would mean that there was more to salvation than believing on Jesus to take away our sins.

Old 07-07-2010, 03:36 PM

2,029 posts, read 1,358,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeshuasavedme View Post
It wouldn't have been 48 hours, but a twelve hour day [the light time, of a 24 hour day, depending on the time of year and how near the equator] plus the almost twelve extra hours of the 24 hour day that would have been the normal night time of that day. Then the sun set, and night came.
So the period of light was just a bit less than 24 hours total.
And astronomers would know nothing of it today, but ancient sky watchers recorded it, in many nations.

The Bible says the earth is fixed in its place and does not move. The Bible says the sun, moon, and stars run on their courses through the heavens. Not once, but multiple times does the Bible state that the sun rises and sets, east to west, as well as the moon. They follow paths set for them in the beginning, which Enoch was shown by the angel, and recorded exactly.

OK, makes sense about the 24 hours of daylight and not 48, my bad plus your also probably right about astronomers. But I will look up ancient sky watchers proclaiming this.

You didnt answer my question though about mars, venus, etc. Do they rotate? If yes, then earth doesn't? If they don't rotate, well, don't know what to say.

I think your taking the sun, moon and stars running their course too literal.

Old 07-07-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7 View Post
OK, makes sense about the 24 hours of daylight and not 48, my bad plus your also probably right about astronomers. But I will look up ancient sky watchers proclaiming this.

You didnt answer my question though about mars, venus, etc. Do they rotate? If yes, then earth doesn't? If they don't rotate, well, don't know what to say.

I think your taking the sun, moon and stars running their course too literal.
Yes, they have paths they follow...that is why they are called wandering[planet] stars.
The earth does not wander.

Old 07-07-2010, 06:59 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,906,379 times
Why does every other system observed feature planets that revolve around stars and not vice versa? Why would physical laws apply to all other heavenly bodies but not ours?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality