Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 07:42 PM

2,981 posts, read 5,457,538 times

Advertisements

Coming soon:
Darwin’s Dilemma: The Mystery of the Cambrian Fossil Record
watch the trailer

Cambrian Explosion Caught on Film | Uncommon Descent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 09:08 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,017,135 times
Religion is so yesterday. Reality is so today. Those who lack the capability to deal with the real world revert back to the primitive thinking of iron age sheep herders.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:27 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,627,765 times
yeshuasavedme,
After you bared your soul and explained to those of us who are ignorant that the earth was not a planet I just couldn't wait to see what you'd come up with next. I have to ask you though, do you actually tell people in your everyday life the same kind of stuff that you're telling us anonymously on the internet? I would be curious to hear what kinds of responses you get.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:26 AM

10,607 posts, read 11,660,863 times
Okay folks, you may not agree with what yeshuasavedme has to say, but at least stick to the subject at hand and don't attack the person posting.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:33 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptsum View Post
Okay folks, you may not agree with what yeshuasavedme has to say, but at least stick to the subject at hand and don't attack the person posting.
Thank you, pt YSM is a quite harmless, nice lady. She does not deserve the attacks

Old 08-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Religion is so yesterday. Reality is so today. Those who lack the capability to deal with the real world revert back to the primitive thinking of iron age sheep herders.
Give the iron age sheep herders their due. None of us will be here, if not for them

Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,685,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Give the iron age sheep herders their due. None of us will be here, if not for them
Baloney. Not all of us descended from those sheepherders. Personally, my ancestry is the people who lived in the harsh cold northlands, sailed ships across the seas, then jumped out of their boats, ran up the beaches, and sacked the villages of those helpless sheep herders.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Baloney. Not all of us descended from those sheepherders. Personally, my ancestry is the people who lived in the harsh cold northlands, sailed ships across the seas, then jumped out of their boats, ran up the beaches, and sacked the villages of those helpless sheep herders.
I dunno why I always have a soft corner for you After the topless thread, it's gone softer

But anyway....................... it was a figurative statement. I know the whole world wasn't full of sheepherders. I was merely alluding to the fact that calling ancestral people "iron age sheepherders" in a derogatory way is borderline immature. Posterity must give the past respect. They deserve their due.

Now you can unruffle your feathers.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:20 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,821,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
I raise my cup of mead in honor of your ancestors.

Old 08-27-2009, 12:38 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,920,995 times
So, uhmmm, I'm trying to be on my best behavior, but what was the OP again? Beach landing ancestry?

Oh yeah; aging Darwinism. Not "God hath Thus Saved You" stuff.

Well, aside from my own British Isles ancestry, which my dad said was just a bunch of shipwrecked Swedes anyhow, Darwin, bless his ingenious and observant heart, of course only touched on the concept of descent of man from earlier species. Absent the current toolset that any basic science/biologist grad now has easy access to.

Can you imagine what a DNA genome mapping of the Galapagos finches would now reveal? (If they haven't already done it as an absolute proof of Evoluition there...I''ll Google and report back!).

(ed. note: lots and lots of it, all verifying what the good Charles D thought and professed, even though he was saddled with restraint because of the high percentage of illiterate folk of the day)

Near-identical genetic commonalities, plus, given the known rate of common genetic drift, if we see a difference in genotype between two distinctly physically different species, we can estimate the time it took for those changes to have occurred.

All simple stuff for the well read and curious.

Darwin's realizations were ground-breaking in their elegant simplicity and, as it turns out, the simplest, most logical concept is quite likely the correct one. As in this case.

Ockham's Obvious Razor
once again!

Occam's razor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It makes his discoveries and writings all the more amazing and valuable. It's also a lesson to bright young new minds in science to not let yourself be shut down by ranting ideologs, who would sooner roast your hide alive in the public square instead of allowing the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality