Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in evolution?
Yes 112 78.87%
No 30 21.13%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 08:59 PM

397 posts, read 608,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
And I can see that intelligent, fact-filled info falls on sukrill's deaf ears, and he/she's intelllectually unable to respond to my commentary, so I'll take my own advice: here's my answer to y aour bumbling, incoherent ill-educated anti-science rants:

"It's all BS, but on top of that, you're proud if it!"

There! Simple, direct and no punches pulled!! And so much easier than trying to drag the intransigent and stubborn along towards enlightenment!
im very proud im not like you at least. a judgmental person that likes to hear himself talk. saying im intellectually incapable of answering your questions... please im just saving my breath because your one of those close minded people that thinks he has all the answers... guaranteed, your answers will change in a few years, maybe decades, but your theory will keep changing until one day, viola! its proven wrong. your like one of those "scientist" back in the days that had 100% proof that one big rock fell faster than a small rock.... ranting and beating your chest all day and night... then one day you got proven wrong... that was "fact-filled" science. but we all know thats crap now. so until that day its actually proven, ill stick to the idea of god that has made sense for generations upon generations, and not the earth flat, sun revolves around the earth, evolution is fact theory...

so yes you took the words right out of my mouth... its all bs and im glad that you personally can think whatever it is that makes you think that way. really i am, because according to my "scripture" your just another person that proves what is already written....

Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
Well I guess I should expect no less you. You do know that many many folks don't read the Bible literally. There are Christians and Jews who don't read the Bible literally. It does not change the G-d they worship.

I know within Islam there are not deviations. My religion is not one of submission, it is a religion of asking the question, learning and not all Jews are the same but we worship the G-d of Abraham.

I understand that you are not able to understand diversity so you attack, but maybe you should listen.
legitimately i can talk and we can have a discussion. but this discussion would either have to go through a direct message or a new thread because this thread is on evolution and i have to give the few people that actually respect others the same respect they give me...

Old 07-29-2010, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzymom View Post
You sound ignorant..... But then most of the muslim posters here when they find no one will buy what they are trying to sell they resort to verbal attacks.

Islam is not the religion of G-d. It is a dangerous religion and hopefully it will be defeated.
like i said if you want to talk about religions and my take on islam then we'll have to take it to another forum. btw, whoever told you islam is not a religion of god lied to you

Old 07-29-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The reason that I am now atheistic is because I am open minded and curious, and religion had no satisfying answers to my questions. Evolution has the answers about our origins that are logical and much more satisfying to me.....

You, on the other hand ignore anything and everything that conflicts with religious views, even when things are patiently explained to you, and evidence offered...The very definition of a closed mind...Your ignorance is constantly exposed with statements such as "Evolution was invented by a scientist"

I'll just say this regarding you above post....Insults are the last refuge of the incompetent.
what does evolution say about what happens after you die, or how your heart begins to beat, or where life actually comes from...

"I'll just say this regarding you above post....Insults are the last refuge of the incompetent."

really? theres plenty of times ive seen this happen... most of this forum is that way...

Old 07-29-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
Good job at continueing to show you know nothing of evolution. I don't see why you consider the ancient scribblings of bronze age middle eastern war mongers to hold more credible truth than physics and biology. Your ignorance of evolution only proves you have never done a tittle of study on the theory. You make a bunch of weird presumptions about evolution and then purport them as fact, when in actuality everything you claim about evolution is lying hogwash and isn't even remotely close to what evolution actually is. It's time you stopped getting your information from a 1400 year old holy text and start studying science and what it actually claims, rather than what your imam says it claims. I know that must have been to long for you to read, but try to do so. It won't even take ninety seconds.
evolution does not explain the purpose of life or why we're here... thats all i really want to know... it can have multiple theories inside the one theory of evolution... but it doesnt explain that...

Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 PM

"As for whales, I suppose God purposefully made distinct hands within the whale's front and hind flippers, with exactly the same numbers of fingers, joints and relative locations as earlier (and later!) terrestrial mammals, including us. Yup; to avoid errors, God was "practicing" for his other efforts I suppose..."

for any who think i cant answer any questions regarding my own religion, i can but this is not the thread to do it on. evolution just grabs similarities and says look what has evolved from this and this and i dont buy into that. theres many things that are alike but are completely different.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:12 PM

2,782 posts, read 4,163,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukrill View Post
o man... yes very few elephants can paint, yes termites may build complicated "buildings", yes chimps make tools.... but a termite cant paint, an elephant cant build complicated buildings, and im sure chimps can draw but can they draw as well as an architect? no. we can do all these things... you just proved nothing...

so your saying in the future we'll have elephant artist?.... nice
Whooossssshhhh the point gone over your head AGAIN.

YouTube - The Indelible Stamp of our Lowly Origin

You have already admit your bias, that no matter what an animal does, it will always be label as a trick..
Typical creationist..
http://www.dudewtf.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/creationistPosterFull.png (broken link)

Quote:
im trying to think of how you think that just because dna is similar, that we must have a common "ancestor"... its impossible that theyve always been that way... right... what was the point of monkeys turning into chimps?... or chimps turning into apes?... or however the "theory" of evolution works now a days...
"There can be no doubt between our close relationship to chimpanzees, our bodies are so similar the proportion of our limbs and our faces my differ; but other wise we are very very similar, the arrangement of our internal organs, the chemistry of our blood; all these are almost identical and DNA confirms that".

Evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms through successive generations.
By saying Evolution didn't happen, is to claim that we are clones of each other.

Quote:
there has not been a new species that has evolved from another because apparently this process takes so long its impossible to see/prove. but do you see species getting better?... i see species being extinct, new starts in the galaxy arent popping out of noewhere, theyre dying... so whats getting better... evolution wise of course... besides elephants knowing how to paint...
No, only creationism says new species pop out of nowhere. I suspected you understand how silly that claim is.

Quote:
whales once walked on earth... what was the reason for them wanting to go BACK into the water then... because everything came out of the water right?... besides all that where did the walking whales go? what did the walking whales look like? did they branch off into other species too? what was even the point of every single thing (species) changing anyways... we obviously have been here for 200,000 years and we're still constantly changing? for what... we're fine the way we are...
Read this time.
"Whales ancestors once walked on land, and genetic changes combined with natural selection help them hunt better in the oceans, thus surviving long enough to reproduce. Walking IS NOT the goal of natural selection."

Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 PM

2,065 posts, read 2,160,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gplex View Post
"There can be no doubt between our close relationship to chimpanzees, our bodies are so similar the proportion of our limbs and our faces my differ; but other wise we are very very similar, the arrangement of our internal organs, the chemistry of our blood; all these are almost identical and DNA confirms that".

Evolution is the change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms through successive generations. By saying Evolution didn't happen, is to claim that we are clones of each other. No, only creationism says new species pop out of nowhere. I suspected you understand how silly that claim is.
If human evolution is true and we came from apes or any other animal... then why is not that animal extinct? What do scientists say about the laws of disintegration and decay operating as well as the laws of positive construction and advancement?

Old 07-29-2010, 09:59 PM

894 posts, read 2,314,033 times
If evolution is a fact, btw, it's still considered theory, why in the thousands of years that mankind has existed, why has no evolution taken place? Where is our third arm that everyone desperately needs, or why haven't our heads swollen from our brains expanding with increased knowledge. Why are there still monkeys running around, wouldn't they be extinct since they should have evolved into humans? And where are the fossils of the in between phases of the evolution of man? I've heard and seen only weak arguments, nothing substantial. Just to agree with something because it's what "intellectuals" believe and because belief in creation is supposedly uneducated is a very weak argument. And the more that scientists delve into the secrets of the galaxy and outer space, the more some are realizing that there are too many variables for everything to come about by chance just right for life to exist the way it does on earth.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:02 PM

4,904 posts, read 6,012,999 times
Quote:
evolution does not explain the purpose of life or why we're here... thats all i really want to know... it can have multiple theories inside the one theory of evolution... but it doesnt explain that...
That doesn't make it false though. Someone's purpose in life is subjective, While religion may give you a purpose in life, purpose isn't contingent upon religions or belie in a higher power. Evolution is merely the processes that explain how we came to be and how life diversified. This doesn't include origins though as many creationists seem to think it does. Questions such as the purpose of life and why we're here are in the realm of philosophy rather than science whereas evolution is in the realm of science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.