Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 10:24 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times

Advertisements

Given the diversity of informed and passionate posters here, I'm curious:

In your opinion, what is the single most wide-spread error to be found in the beliefs of other Christians? Please explain why you think so.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 02:37 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,556,553 times
As a Christian I would say one of the biggest errors Christians do, from our faith based on my reading of the Gospel, might be being excessively ambitious and judging others faults greater than our own. The Gospels are pretty clearly against that yet Christians have always done it. I think part of it is because it's very hard to avoid that a 100% and I've been very guilty of this myself. Not the ambitious part so much as the unfair judging. (I think judging actions is necessary, by "unfair judging" I mean focusing on the sins of others without reflecting on one's own actions) I'm trying to work on it, but it is difficult at times. I think most of us have some group that we think "What those people do is worse than anything I do so I'm better than them." In an earlier age that was like girls who slept around or husbands who did not provide for their wives. Now it's more like smokers and homosexuals. (As we're meaning among Christians) I've certainly seen hard-drinking, to the point of endangering themselves, people who look down on smokers. I'm certain I've seen adulterous Christians who treat even the most discreet homosexuals with disgust. (I do believe in celibacy for homosexuals, but I dislike treating them as unusually worse than adulterers or those who commit non-marital heterosexual sodomy.)

The other would be thinking that whatever is desirable for them is somehow moral. I don't think this is unique to Christians, but it's unfortunate that it's among Christians.

Compared to secularists I'd say Christians flaws is that, going by the evidence, we're more racist and we don't recycle as much as we should.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:22 AM

4,323 posts, read 6,024,146 times
I believe it's in thinking that they have all the right answers for everyone. We each have a path that we take. We each have our obstacles to overcome. We each have some form of Truth. When we all can come together in harmony and love without thinking one is more truthfull or righteous, then we can know peace. None of us know all the answers. We are here to learn and grow spiritualy. When the fundamentalists confront a person who is not on the same path and start in on how they will burn in hell or that they worship a God that is not theirs, well, that person loses hope. They start to believe that they are worthless. They give up on finding their own truth and their own God within.

When we practice the Love that Jesus taught all those years ago, let go and live life to the fullest without thinking one is more truthfull or more worthy, all those who err in their own judgement and downtrodden folks will start to see the light of God. We should be giving hope and love and not seperating ourselves through judgement and condemnation.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:35 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,549,026 times
I don't pay attention to what other's errors are, but try to mind my own business. This guidance is given to us in Matthew 7.5, and Luke 6:42.

Old 07-11-2010, 06:50 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
What is the biggest error of fellow Christians?

UHHHHHHH, Belief in the mythological????

Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Passing their own judgements on each other

Old 07-11-2010, 07:33 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,956,755 times
I would say abiding only to the "rules" that are convenient for them.

Old 07-11-2010, 09:12 AM

2,339 posts, read 4,401,502 times
As a former Christian I am going to say the "holier than thou" attitude that comes with the territory. "I'm better than the heathen unbeliever and the people at the other church down the road." That stuff got on my nerves big time.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:24 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,811,747 times
Inflated self importance.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:24 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Interesting so far, thanks to all for your thoughtful comments. Hope there are more coming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality