Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 08:58 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Another interesting rant.
Another interesting avoidance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2018, 10:58 AM

18,976 posts, read 7,017,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Another interesting avoidance.
Would you actually reason with me if I did respond intellectually? Your rant was nothing of the sort.

Old 02-08-2018, 02:29 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Perhaps if you responded to the last few posts of yours that she took the time and trouble to address, she might not rant so much. She has shown you to be woefully ignorant when it comes to history (both American and European) and she proved every claims you made to be false. Why don't you respond? Because that is what she is ranting about and rightly so, the fact that, having spent the time and effort to debunk your claims at considerable pain and discomfort, you simple ignore her posts, run for the hills and crawl under a stone.

...and she's right on every point she made in her last post. You and BF have no comeback other than the constant whining and grizzling about a perceived 'persecution' of Christians...as if Christians hadn't done any persecuting over the past 2000 years...and in fact, still are!

Seriously, respond to her posts that are waiting for you. We know you are cacking your pants over it. You probably find the severe mauling she gave you acutely embarrassing, hell I would! Being shown up to be a total buffoon when it comes to 'facts' must be embarrassing.

Pity you didn't do that...and respond to them, particularly as they are addressed to you.

It's perfectly appropriate to rate a person's intellect, intelligence and mental state on their beliefs. If someone continues to believe that a 2-inch round peg will fit in a 1-inch square hole no matter how many times it's demonstrated to them that it doesn't fit, it's not inappropriate to call into question their ability to cognitively assess the spatial relationships involved. If someone looks to an example of one of the most obvious forms of injustice and perceives it as an absolute standard of justice (such as punishing the innocent for the crimes of the guilty), one is not out of bounds to wonder at their mental capacity in assessing the relative validity of concepts built upon such a principle...much like we would question the mental state of someone that keeps insisting that the Earth is flat or the Moon is made of green cheese.

What would you call someone that has a pissy-fit and drowns the whole world save 8 people.

Yes we can, as we have proven every time you Christians make your ridiculous claims.

As Shirina said...Booo fugging Hoooo! Instead of crying like a new born baby because you feel that your delicate sensibilities have been trodden on, FIGHT YOUR CORNER BEAT US WITH FACTS. Oh wait! You can't can you. You haven't got any!

No he isn't ... and neither are you.

Can you point out any Buddhist threads? (that's a clue btw)

Can you point out any Hindu threads? (that's a clue btw)

You'd better look again
"Facts". Maybe you would like to explain where your facts were. You just exhibited the exact behavior I mentioned.

God didn't flood the world to be evil, or to throw a tantrum. When your computer is virus infected, and you cant fix it, you back up stuff you wanna save, and reformat. More than 8 ppl. This is told in Japan and other countries. Its a human story.

Old 02-08-2018, 09:48 PM

I see. So it's easy to bully Christians because they won't fight back (I rejected turn the other cheek, cuz I'm a syncretic not a straight up Christian), but when one of them calls you on it, suddenly you have nothing to say?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_flood_myths

More than 8 people. There's my facts.

Old 02-08-2018, 10:52 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, the ones knocking on my door get the opportunity to be introduced to my beliefs that question their beliefs. As they stand mute after I introduce my questions, it isn't long before they need to get going.
LOL...this is exactly how I handle them.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:07 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
LOL...this is exactly how I handle them.
They always came around when I was not in the mood for them - like a Sunday morning - so I just sent them away. But then they started asking for 'donations' so they could leave a Watch Tower with me. You gotta be kidding!

Old 02-09-2018, 01:15 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
"Facts". Maybe you would like to explain where your facts were. You just exhibited the exact behavior I mentioned.
I'm talking about the 'fact' that Shirina flattened you with when she responded to your posts. The facts that showed you to be a total ignoramus when it comes to the history of your own country and that of Europe.

Quote:
God didn't flood the world to be evil, or to throw a tantrum. When your computer is virus infected, and you cant fix it, you back up stuff you wanna save, and reformat.
The difference is that my computer doesn't know what's coming before I give it information.

Quote:
More than 8 ppl. This is told in Japan and other countries. Its a human story.
You can't even read what's in front of you can you. I said that (according to the story) he drowned everything save 8 people. Is that not correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
I see. So it's easy to bully Christians because they won't fight back (I rejected turn the other cheek, cuz I'm a syncretic not a straight up Christian)...,
Oh dear. Here he goes with the poor persecuted Christian again.

No. You didn't turn the other check. You just couldn't compete with facts.

Quote:
...but when one of them calls you on it, suddenly you have nothing to say?
I'm saying it. It's likely that you don't know, judging by your woefully inadequate grasp of history and science, that different parts of the world have different time zones. When you are asking me questions, I'm in bed. So, if you would like to back up your claim, would you please point of where you have 'called me' on something and I had nothing to say? It could be that I missed it...or it could be that you're talking through your arse again.

You don't get it do you. It's telling you that each new religion take things from religions that went before. As an example, the story of Moses and the bulrushes can be found in the proceeding religion in Sumeria only this time it wasn't Moses, it was Sargon, King of the Semites that was hidden in a basket made of bulrushes by his mother and floated on a river to escape an evil king and not the Nile this time but the Euphrates.

The whole basis of Christianity (and other religions) comes from stories inherited over the centuries which each new religion attributed to it's own. The Sumerian story of 'Creation' is very similar to that found in the Bible. They also had Ea the Father; Bel the Son and Anu the Holy Spirit. Now where have we heard that before.

The fact that many religions over time tell similar stories isn't evidence that the stories are true, it's evidence that each religion takes ideas from the preceding religion...just like every new car has ideas taken from the preceding model.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:33 AM

Actually, you're the one who doesn't get it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_of_Christ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blind_men_and_an_elephant

You think it's about Christianity stealing from Judaism and Judaism stealing from Egyptian and Babylonian. Yes, some of this goes on.
But the actual fact is something closer to this: we humans started out with cultural memories, and a few racial memories (very few actually), and a common religion. Contrary to popular belief, humans are now believed to have arosen from multiple centers (sorry Adam and Eve, you're relegated to allegory, not history), one in Europe, one in Africa, one in Asia, one in Australia. Despite this, all of these cultures have several myths that are common to most: a selkie story for instance in Ireland is also told in Japan as a maiden who received a garment before returning to the moon, a flood story told many many ways in many many cultures, there are many Savior stories not just the ones you see lifted from previous cultures. These are not cultures in a position to have borrowed ideas from each other, they are geographically far apart cultures. What you'll find when you make a serious study of religion is that there is a sort of original religion. This is why I call myself syncretic (meaning to mix) rather than Christian, because I recognize that the actual religion of Earth is far more unified, and that most organized religions are just like blind men fumbling around with pieces (it's an elephant) saying that it has a long curved thing (trunk), or it feels thick and tall like a tree (legs) or it fans out (ears). These are all fragmented conceptions of a unified faith. There is a Savior. But this being happened before Christianity, and will continue to happen even if other myth traditions take over. Read John 1. It tells the truth about Jesus. Jesus may or may not be a historical figure, but everywhere from Merlin in pagan concept and popular myth, to Osiris, to Mithras, to stories of half-gods. Yeah, it's all the same concept Maui in Polynesia is also the Savior. Not because he died on a cross, but because he is part of common myth. And I know what you'll say to this. So what? But it's a big deal.

You also also think I actually care how you behave. If you're the type who bullies others, at the end of the day, you have to live with it, not me. I just get to watch you become increasingly "not important to me" in my eyes. I'm not crying. I'm on my bed that I just got a new frame for, typing on a kindle. I decided to post in this thread in light of the fact that it struck me as monstrously hypocritical and tuned in to someone making a big rant against someone which looked alot like bullying to me. My dad hates bullies. I hate bullies. We rub their crap in their faces, even if it makes us come across as bullies.

Here's the thing. The Adam and Eve story suddenly mentions other people. Don't you find this odd? It's because there were usually more people than the story focused on and no, it's not as simple as borrowing ideas. They mention just one person, getting split into two, and then people arising from seeming thin air. The truth of the matter is that well before Christianity, we all worshiped the same religion (folk pantheism and animism), which split off into the religions and cultures you see today. And we are all one body. I don't expect you to understand, but after studying all of these religions, the concept of the Body of Christ is very clearly a holdover from pantheism/animism. All humans are a vessel of a divine spirit, and are basically parts of the same person. Sound familiar? If you studied Shintoism, it should. Holy Spirit, Kami, Atman. Different cultures, same idea.

Matthew 18:17

Essentially, what it means to be part of the Body of Christ, is that right now, using a device that doesn't really exist, I am talking to myself, and having the other part talk trash to me. I could easily do as the scripture above say, and simply regard you as a figment of my imagination. Instead I'll just let that sink in while it breaks your brain and you fyumble around asking "where's your proof for this?" I found the proof in my own life. You can believe it or not. If not, despite my telling you, I guess you're "as a Gentile" to me.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:24 AM

Anyway, you're blocked. Buh bye.

Old 02-09-2018, 09:31 AM

6,518 posts, read 2,727,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaniMae1 View Post
This thought crossed my mind recently and it amused me. Could you imagine if non believing groups went doorknocking to try and deconvert Christians? Handing out tracts and little magazines. Do you think they'd be angry? I'm not sure. Some probably would be. Others would like the challenge. And there would be a few quacks that would protest and try to have "laws passed" to stop it. When I was in church I NEVER one time went on those silly doorknocking trips. I was to embarrassed. I mean how obnoxious!

Just as a side note, one of my relatives posted on her Facebook page recently that she was awoken by her dog barking at 4 in the morning by a doorknocker putting church flyers and tracts in her screen door. Wow.
nope but we can't get you militant antitheists off of and or away from Christian conversations though. or anyplace Christians gather on the net to just talk. there you are knocking and blowing down the doors by being the hall monitors of such sites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality