Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2018, 10:26 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,257,571 times

Advertisements

Did God intend for humanity to be independent?

Just what does that mean?

Independence means apart from God?

Apart in what form?

In His Image means? Body or soul?

So, independent/apart and in His image means as gods? Lower case g?

Note: Gen_3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: and now, lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever:

So, what were/are the consequences for our godly independence?

Blessings, AJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 02:35 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Since you did not post this in the Christianity sub-forum, as an atheist I feel free to respond that there is no actual evidence of god, and as a result your question is fantastical.

However, let me play your game for a moment (and for most of my 68 years I was a Christian). If god is supposed to be all-powerful, and he lost control of the people he created, then I would say he was NOT all-powerful, and therefore not a god.

Old 02-19-2018, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Since you did not post this in the Christianity sub-forum, as an atheist I feel free to respond that there is no actual evidence of god, and as a result your question is fantastical.

However, let me play your game for a moment (and for most of my 68 years I was a Christian). If god is supposed to be all-powerful, and he lost control of the people he created, then I would say he was NOT all-powerful, and therefore not a god.
The whole point of my post was in one word "Independence".

You are demonstrating just that. Your independence by God allows you to either accept Him or reject Him.

Why after 68 years knowing of Him you have repented the other way.

Let me tell you that as gods, lower case g, we have the choice to accept or reject anything or everything that represents Godliness.

Being created in His image is just that. Independence makes you as like a god. To know both good and evil makes you a god like as an individual independent from God.

God never looses control period. Bad judgement by mankind is where the loss of control is.

God intervenes occasionally to help mankind straighten things out.

You, phetaroi,are your own god. You've made all of your life's choices yet. God has not abandoned you regardless of what choices you've made.

Thanks for your response.

I never turn down any responds regardless of who they are.

Blessings, AJ

Old 02-19-2018, 10:13 AM

11,093 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Where does this idea of God wanting people to be "independent" come from?

The entire Bible is about relationships, between us and God/Jesus, and between each other as children of God.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Where does this idea of God wanting people to be "independent" come from?

The entire Bible is about relationships, between us and God/Jesus, and between each other as children of God.
Absolutely agree with you.

Independence came when Eve (Figuratively the world in the form of a metaphor. fruit of a tree) partook of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Why was not Adam the first to eat of the tree?

Blessings, AJ

Old 02-19-2018, 10:47 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
Did God intend for humanity to be independent?
Yes.

For example, God never told us that diseases were caused by infectious microorganisms (germs). He left that up to humanity to discover. Millions died painful early deaths because of it.

Old 02-19-2018, 10:54 AM

11,093 posts, read 7,154,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
God never told us that diseases were caused by infectious microorganisms (germs).

Millions died painful early deaths because of it.
Many still die of infection, even in our modern times, with us fully aware of it. What's your point?

Many die early painful deaths in car accidents too, and gun shootings. Ignoring the human element distorts the subject. Instead of picking and choosing points to sway and bias the discussion (to badmouth God), how about looking at the big picture and including everything? It's a lot more balanced when that takes place.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Yes.

For example, God never told us that diseases were caused by infectious microorganisms (germs). He left that up to humanity to discover. Millions died painful early deaths because of it.
I wouldn't say never because in time God through mankind reveals cures.

The whole trust of being an individual, independent as a god is to choose to live rightfully in-spite of all the pitfalls of this life by trusting in the Creator for all our needs.

Faith and hope are the key ingredients to surviving all that this earth can throw at us.
We fight on in the battle field of life helping, defending our fellow man and perhaps alleviate some pain and at the same time give hope to those in need.

Blessings, AJ

Old 02-19-2018, 11:07 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Many still die of infection, even in our modern times, with us fully aware of it. What's your point?

Many die early painful deaths in car accidents too, and gun shootings. Ignoring the human element distorts the subject. Instead of picking and choosing points to sway and bias the discussion (to badmouth God), how about looking at the big picture and including everything? It's a lot more balanced when that takes place.
What are you suggesting? That’s it’s mainly humankind’s fault for not inventing the microscope sooner?

If so, you are effectively asserting that the Christian God intended for humanity to be independent.

Old 02-19-2018, 11:41 AM

50,806 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by look3467 View Post
The whole point of my post was in one word "Independence".

You are demonstrating just that. Your independence by God allows you to either accept Him or reject Him.

Why after 68 years knowing of Him you have repented the other way.

Let me tell you that as gods, lower case g, we have the choice to accept or reject anything or everything that represents Godliness.

Being created in His image is just that. Independence makes you as like a god. To know both good and evil makes you a god like as an individual independent from God.

God never looses control period. Bad judgement by mankind is where the loss of control is.

God intervenes occasionally to help mankind straighten things out.

You, phetaroi,are your own god. You've made all of your life's choices yet. God has not abandoned you regardless of what choices you've made.

Thanks for your response.

I never turn down any responds regardless of who they are.

Blessings, AJ
I TOTALLY reject your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality