Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in any God?
Yes 40 36.70%
No 69 63.30%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:22 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
You suppose? That's what the folks who dreamed up all the tens of thousands of gods did. Even today...if the Pacific Isles are included there are more than 4000 ways to believe in a supreme being. If one adds Christianity and individual beliefs add another 40,000. If something is important enough that burning eternally or walking streets paved with gold is the consequence...why is it so confusing?

I'll go ahead and tell you why! Man created god in his image...not the other way round.

That's what I think, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:33 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa
How else could have the Heavens, Earth, Animals and Humans been created? A big explosion didn't create all of this. Explosions destroy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Why would you make a comment like that?

You know that hydrogen and oxygen combine to create water, right? If you put a bunch of hydrogen atoms and a bunch of oxygen atoms in a tank, do you imagine they just kiss, and voila...water, without which life cannot exist? Hardly. It's more like an explosion. OK, maybe a tiny explosion. But it's still an explosion. And I challenge you to tell me where we'd be if we didn't have water.
Still there's something in that. Present cosmology has to conclude that a big bang as what we would consider an explosion would not give us the present system of galaxies. There has to be a 'paused explosion' as I think it was described. In fact 'Big bang explosion' is as simplistic a description of cosmic origins as 'descent from apes' is a description of human evolution.

In any case, it's important to realise that we don't disbelieve in 'God' because the Big bang explains where we came from, but that 'God dunnit' is not an explanation at all.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:34 AM

409 posts, read 399,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Why would you make a comment like that?

You know that hydrogen and oxygen combine to create water, right? If you put a bunch of hydrogen atoms and a bunch of oxygen atoms in a tank, do you imagine they just kiss, and voila...water, without which life cannot exist? Hardly. It's more like an explosion. OK, maybe a tiny explosion. But it's still an explosion. And I challenge you to tell me where we'd be if we didn't have water.
It's imaginable that two substances can come together accidently but everything? That's unimaginable and fairytale like. And what of the Bible it's self? It's the most ancient and the most modern, that's no accident either.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:54 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
It's imaginable that two substances can come together accidently but everything? That's unimaginable and fairytale like. And what of the Bible it's self? It's the most ancient and the most modern, that's no accident either.
I dont believe that the big bang created the universe, I believe it was a series of big bangs, created by energy and matter that has always existed.

The Bible was not an accident, it was a planned book by a bunch of uneducated goat herders in order to explain their existence, and give them purpose ( many need this in order to live) that was then taken by others and used as a form of control and fear inducer in order to gain monetary pleasures and power. There is nothing more fairytale than the stories in the Bible, but that is what they imagined back then. Today the bible would not be written it is in no way modern, in fact it is quite archaic.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:58 AM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times
Quote:
How else could have the Heavens, Earth, Animals and Humans been created? A big explosion didn't create all of this. Explosions destroy.
They've already created life forms in lab conditions. Soon DNA modifications will allow perfect reproduction of all species and lend itself to creating new life. If one simply looks at fossils from all over the planet only a fool or someone who has been hopelessly brainwashed could possibly believe anything except evolution. Only a handful of warped sceintists continue to embrace creationism...all the rest know that evolution is what happened. There's evidence on all the earth's continents which proves that hundreds of millions of years ago the entire planet was covered with massive depths of water. All life came from the seas. PERIOD!

It didn't all happen in six days...six thousand years ago this October.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I dont believe that the big bang created the universe, I believe it was a series of big bangs, created by energy and matter that has always existed.

The Bible was not an accident, it was a planned book by a bunch of uneducated goat herders in order to explain their existence, and give them purpose ( many need this in order to live) that was then taken by others and used as a form of control and fear inducer in order to gain monetary pleasures and power. There is nothing more fairytale than the stories in the Bible, but that is what they imagined back then. Today the bible would not be written it is in no way modern, in fact it is quite archaic.
People of long ago couldn't have predicted the happenings of today without someone to tell them. To be so accurate would be impossible without insight. History could have taken a very different course from what the Bible writers had written all those years ago.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
They've already created life forms in lab conditions. Soon DNA modifications will allow perfect reproduction of all species and lend itself to creating new life. If one simply looks at fossils from all over the planet only a fool or someone who has been hopelessly brainwashed could possibly believe anything except evolution. Only a handful of warped sceintists continue to embrace creationism...all the rest know that evolution is what happened. There's evidence on all the earth's continents which proves that hundreds of millions of years ago the entire planet was covered with massive depths of water. All life came from the seas. PERIOD!

It didn't all happen in six days...six thousand years ago this October.
They created, you said. Life forms in the labs didn't just come about on their own, neither did the labs, they had a creator or builder.

There was water to see before land then God said "Let the dry land appear. He created man after the land appeared.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:37 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
People of long ago couldn't have predicted the happenings of today without someone to tell them. To be so accurate would be impossible without insight. History could have taken a very different course from what the Bible writers had written all those years ago.
They didn't predict anything, well they tried, but failed.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,956,654 times
I only voted yes because I believe there is "something", but I have no idea of what it is.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
They didn't predict anything, well they tried, but failed.
One example is of the birth of Jesus. How did they know he would be born?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality