Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in any God?
Yes 40 36.70%
No 69 63.30%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:07 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,560,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
MG, I was just kidding. I don't believe there is a god and I do not drive an SUV.

I do like basking in the sunshine, and I support the work of people who are working on the root causes of world hunger. The West has a lot of policies that further impovrish the poorest countries of the world, undercut native food production, and wreak havoc. The efforts of Bono, Bill and Melinda Gates and others are like a drop in the bucket against the size of the problem.
Sorry...I get wound up in this stuff and make a fool of myself...though I won't quit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 11:05 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
So for some reason unknown to me or you ol' Gawd has chosen to starve nearly a billion humans, mostly children while "SPECIAL YOU" basks in the sunshine.
We think differently on God...but we still end up in the same place on the above subject.

I don't believe "ol' Gawd chooses to starve children"...you don't believe there even is an "ol' Gawd", so that's that.

Which leaves us both in the same reality...a billion starve to death, while others live with tremendous abundance, relatively great wealth, even epidemic obesity. WHY?

Sooooooo...as determined...NOTHING to do with "ol' Gawd"...but, in fact, SELFISH MAN.
There is plenty enough for everybody...but a billion starve.
Only conclusion that can be drawn from that...the evil, malevolent, cruel, hedonistic, traits you point out are possessed by the "ol' Gawd" believed in by Theists (since He supposedly has the power to fix it, but doesn't)...must actually be the traits possessed by MAN (because we DO have the power to fix it, but don't)!

Old 07-17-2010, 03:25 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avasa View Post
The Bible says that Satan is the ruler of this world. That isn't hard to imagine either, with all the bad things that go on. But he won't be forever.
Well, there we have it,folks.
It would appear that 'the devil made me do it" ought to be a valid defense.....let your attorney in on that.
I suppose now you'll bring up free will.
But if satan is in control, how's that gonna help ya'?
You know....he either is or he isn't.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:14 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
We think differently on God...but we still end up in the same place on the above subject.

I don't believe "ol' Gawd chooses to starve children"...you don't believe there even is an "ol' Gawd", so that's that.

Which leaves us both in the same reality...a billion starve to death, while others live with tremendous abundance, relatively great wealth, even epidemic obesity. WHY?

Sooooooo...as determined...NOTHING to do with "ol' Gawd"...but, in fact, SELFISH MAN.
Only conclusion that can be drawn from that...the evil, malevolent, cruel, hedonistic, traits you point out are possessed by the "ol' Gawd" believed in by Theists (since He supposedly has the power to fix it, but doesn't)...must actually be the traits possessed by MAN (because we DO have the power to fix it, but don't)!
I have to agree. But this is something to be fixed by US (I mean we ourselves, not the US of A). Cause nobody else gives any sign of fixing it for us.

For You and We to agree that there ain't no hand of God to be seen (despite the Jesus images on toast or holy statues surviving earthquakes) and he is long - gone Deistgod at best, is half way to your wiseing up.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post

Well...that's your take on it but in fact the whole story stems from the fact that man created god in his image...not the other way round. Amazing what a contrivance a bunch of primitives came up with in a little less than 200 years. Well actually when the birth date was picked and also the pagan easter for the resurrection plus a decision to leave the gospel of Thomas out of things was about 350 AD but for the sake of approximation let's say 200 years...about as long as there's been a United States of America.

It's amazing that with all the modern accounting and records keeping the Republicans couldn't prove that George W. Bush actually served his last 14 months of national guard duty which he was obliged to serve less than forty years ago but over 80% of Americans believe a crock of BS which was scribed on papyrus nearly 2000 years ago beginning over 400 years before paper was invented. Tell a big enough lie, tell it often enough and tell it to each new generation of infants and children and VOILA!

Old 07-17-2010, 04:35 AM

41 posts, read 50,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Why would you make a comment like that?

You know that hydrogen and oxygen combine to create water, right? If you put a bunch of hydrogen atoms and a bunch of oxygen atoms in a tank, do you imagine they just kiss, and voila...water, without which life cannot exist? Hardly. It's more like an explosion. OK, maybe a tiny explosion. But it's still an explosion. And I challenge you to tell me where we'd be if we didn't have water.

I find your statements interesting as I myself am a physics/chemistry teacher. Hydrogen and Oxygen do not explode to create water. They merely bond to one another through Hydrogen bonding which is strong however, not strong enough to create solid matter. There are many theories as to how and why the Earth was created. Scientific theories show evidence that overs millions of years tiny particles collided through the big bang or (some other quoted theory) and dispersed creating a large amount of matter. Now a basic fundamental law of science states that "matter cannot be created nor destroyed"... This I find to be a rather difficult concept to grasp for most. The reason is because if leaves the lingering question... if matter cannot be created then how did it come to be? As far as religion goes. I find that people who believe generally do so for one of two reasons. A) They were taught to think this way as small children and B) Because we do not technically know how the Earth was created many people turned to religion in order to have some thread of insanity to hold onto. Many people fear what happens after death, and for this reason feel that living a pure life devoted to some "higher power" will help them rest peacefully when the time comes. Humans tend to create faith and ideas from nothing when they are presented with a topic so difficult to fathom as how the Earth and people came to be. Oh, and if you do not believe in evolution... please study it before you arrive at your ill-learned conclusions.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:40 AM

41 posts, read 50,545 times
Well said GldnRule... if you look to the history of mankind.. all of our war, selfishness, hatred, and disgust you will find that mankind has created all of the failures and sorrows it so painstakingly endures. We ourselves are vile creatures who take and take. Even many of us who care to help are blindly selfish in our own endeavors. And Melvin George... if you so devoutly believe that there is no higher power... please do find a reason to argue your point with some sort of evidence to back it other than because you think so... Allow people to have their hope... for some that is all they have

Old 07-17-2010, 04:53 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,651,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Well...that's your take on it but in fact the whole story stems from the fact that man created god in his image...not the other way round. Amazing what a contrivance a bunch of primitives came up with in a little less than 200 years. Well actually when the birth date was picked and also the pagan easter for the resurrection plus a decision to leave the gospel of Thomas out of things was about 350 AD but for the sake of approximation let's say 200 years...about as long as there's been a United States of America.

It's amazing that with all the modern accounting and records keeping the Republicans couldn't prove that George W. Bush actually served his last 14 months of national guard duty which he was obliged to serve less than forty years ago but over 80% of Americans believe a crock of BS which was scribed on papyrus nearly 2000 years ago beginning over 400 years before paper was invented. Tell a big enough lie, tell it often enough and tell it to each new generation of infants and children and VOILA!
Man has always had Gods...long before the Bible.

It seems man is predisposed to believe in a God. No matter what the circumstance or influence...that trait always presents much more often than not.

But the reason 10 to 30 people per minute starve to death in this world is because of man, and man alone...God has nothing to do with causing the problem, or solving it...regardless of the error in thought of those that believe otherwise. And the fact man is so insouciant to allow it to happen...when it doesn't have to...is a pathetic commentary on man's humanity toward their fellow man. Anyone with an abundance is guilty...me included.

Old 07-17-2010, 05:09 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Yes, yes we are all culpable and responsible, but this isn't the Sociology forum. Are we on the same page that there is no Deer tracks of God here on this ol' world of ours?

Old 07-17-2010, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmonkey23 View Post
Well said GldnRule... if you look to the history of mankind.. all of our war, selfishness, hatred, and disgust you will find that mankind has created all of the failures and sorrows it so painstakingly endures. We ourselves are vile creatures who take and take. Even many of us who care to help are blindly selfish in our own endeavors. And Melvin George... if you so devoutly believe that there is no higher power... please do find a reason to argue your point with some sort of evidence to back it other than because you think so... Allow people to have their hope... for some that is all they have

When all you have to offer for proof of something that's supposed to happen after we die is a self serving collection of Jewish lies there isn't anything worth arguing about. I'd be ashamed to teach my children or admit that I believed that virgin birth, healing leprosy and other diseases by touching, walking on water, turning water into fine wine, feeding 5000+ with two fish and five loaves then gathering 12 baskets of leftovers, hanging a man on a tree and bleeding him like a hog only to see him alive and well two days later, etc. was or is possible. Just curious...have you seen anything like that during your lifetime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality