U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-17-2010, 01:19 PM
 
Location: ATL
78 posts, read 86,057 times
Reputation: 189

Advertisements

I am in my 50's and was brought up in the Christian (Baptist) church; believed in Jesus for salvation and did everything that many Christians do (go to church, read the Bible, pray, do good works, etc). Although my beliefs varied (got into several denominations, charismatic stuff, etc.) I always held firm to my belief in Jesus.

Then about 5 years ago, things began to change; I honestly don't know why. I started to question the Bible and the things the church had taught me through the years. Looking at the conditions throughout the world, it was hard for me to accept the idea of a loving, merciful, just God that the church teaches. The church hangs all those attributes on him, as well so many others, such as all-powerful and all-knowing.

I started to wonder, if God is all those things, then why did he create "Satan" in the first place, knowing that he would rebel? Why did he create man, and then put the instruments of his downfall in the Garden of Eden, knowing that man would succumb to the temptation and be cast out, and untold millions would be doomed to hell. None of that made any sense to me at all. The church loves to praise Jesus for saving us from our sins, but it seems to me that it is God's fault that the sin exists in the first place.

But, at the same time, I do believe that God exists. It is impossible to either prove or disprove the existance of a supreme being, but the thing that causes me to believe in him is to look at the creation and the essence of life. I don't believe that macroevolution explains this, as much as scientists strive to make it so. I don't know, however, about an afterlife.... there is no way to prove or disprove the existence or heaven or hell, either.

I just don't know that we, as human beings, can really "know" God. I certainly have not experienced it in my own, life, nor do I know anyone who truly has.

So does this make me an agnostic, a deist, or something else??

Please, no snarky remarks like "backslidden", "hell-bound" or any such nonsense as that. Thank you.

JR
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2010, 01:32 PM
 
13,634 posts, read 22,668,858 times
Reputation: 18505
It makes you very human and very honest to question religion and the labels connected with it....

I suggest you stop searching for a man made label to determine your beliefs..When I stopped trying to label myself (as everyone thought I should according to their beliefs )and stopped thinking God was between the covers of the bible (written by man) I found my peace with my beliefs

Ps..Welcome to the forums
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 01:38 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
16,173 posts, read 11,331,417 times
Reputation: 2860
Well you say that you believe in the existence of a god. That makes you 100% theist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 01:45 PM
 
Location: Southern NC
2,120 posts, read 4,633,344 times
Reputation: 3229
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrobert01 View Post
I am in my 50's and was brought up in the Christian (Baptist) church; believed in Jesus for salvation and did everything that many Christians do (go to church, read the Bible, pray, do good works, etc). Although my beliefs varied (got into several denominations, charismatic stuff, etc.) I always held firm to my belief in Jesus.

Then about 5 years ago, things began to change; I honestly don't know why. I started to question the Bible and the things the church had taught me through the years. Looking at the conditions throughout the world, it was hard for me to accept the idea of a loving, merciful, just God that the church teaches. The church hangs all those attributes on him, as well so many others, such as all-powerful and all-knowing.

I started to wonder, if God is all those things, then why did he create "Satan" in the first place, knowing that he would rebel? Why did he create man, and then put the instruments of his downfall in the Garden of Eden, knowing that man would succumb to the temptation and be cast out, and untold millions would be doomed to hell. None of that made any sense to me at all. The church loves to praise Jesus for saving us from our sins, but it seems to me that it is God's fault that the sin exists in the first place.

But, at the same time, I do believe that God exists. It is impossible to either prove or disprove the existance of a supreme being, but the thing that causes me to believe in him is to look at the creation and the essence of life. I don't believe that macroevolution explains this, as much as scientists strive to make it so. I don't know, however, about an afterlife.... there is no way to prove or disprove the existence or heaven or hell, either.

I just don't know that we, as human beings, can really "know" God. I certainly have not experienced it in my own, life, nor do I know anyone who truly has.

So does this make me an agnostic, a deist, or something else??

Please, no snarky remarks like "backslidden", "hell-bound" or any such nonsense as that. Thank you.

JR
Sorry Rafius, that just isn't true, you can't lump everyone together like that.
OP...I think you're leaning more toward deism at the moment....which could eventually evolve into a complete non-belief...don't feel ashamed to explore what you believe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 17,488,547 times
Reputation: 5498
I don't think there's very many people who think they know all of the answers to life's mysteries so I think the OP is like most of us. I definitely am an atheist but I know I can't explain all of the details of the natural world and what exactly started the origins of life. Questioning things is a very healthy thing to do in my opinion whether you believe in God or you don't. I agree that the OP is a theist but it's always possible that being open to opposing points of view could eventually change that status to an agnostic because there is no evidence that God exists but no way to prove that he doesn't.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 02:07 PM
 
Location: ATL
78 posts, read 86,057 times
Reputation: 189
I do want to thank everyone who has responded, for your honest, open, and non-judgmental posts..... of course, the Christians haven't started responding yet, so who knows what I have to look forward to, hahaha!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
16,173 posts, read 11,331,417 times
Reputation: 2860
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC~Mom View Post
Sorry Rafius, that just isn't true, you can't lump everyone together like that.
Well he did say that he does "believe that God exists" which indicates to me that he is specifically referring to the Hebrew/Christian 'God'. That, IMO makes him theist.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 02:10 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
16,173 posts, read 11,331,417 times
Reputation: 2860
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrobert01 View Post
I do want to thank everyone who has responded, for your honest, open, and non-judgmental posts..... of course, the Christians haven't started responding yet, so who knows what I have to look forward to, hahaha!!!
So jamesrobert, which specific 'god' are you referring to when you say you do "believe that God exists"?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 02:11 PM
 
Location: ATL
78 posts, read 86,057 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Well he did say that he does "believe that God exists" which indicates to me that he is specifically referring to the Hebrew/Christian 'God'. That, IMO makes him theist.
That was not really my intent, sorry for the confusion. I believe in a supreme being who is responsible for creation and for life itself. Beyond that, I haven't a clue. :-)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2010, 02:17 PM
 
13,634 posts, read 22,668,858 times
Reputation: 18505
[quote=jamesrobert01;15081952]I do want to thank everyone who has responded, for your honest, open, and non-judgmental posts..... of course, the Christians haven't started responding yet, so who knows what I have to look forward to, hahaha!!![/quote]


I responded
and I bolded the part I am answering to
hahaha
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top