U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe in anything supernatural?
Yes 45 51.72%
No 42 48.28%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-19-2010, 11:14 PM

13,856 posts, read 24,152,283 times

Advertisements

This does not have to mean God. It can include karma, reincarnation, spirits, impersonal supernatural forces (like the Tao), magic, and so forth. It can also include the elements of Western religion like God, Miracles, Heaven, and Hell. I'm not voting in this poll to avoid biasing, etc.

I think most atheists here are rational-materialist or metaphysical naturalist (fancy way of saying "No God and also nothing supernatural of any kind.") but I thought I'd put this up there in case I'm wrong.
Rate this post positively

Old 07-19-2010, 11:25 PM

1,387 posts, read 2,259,635 times
I don't believe in anything "supernatural". I have seen no evidence and have no reason to believe in anything outside of nature.

I think the world and the universe are plenty interesting just the way they are, without believing in things unproven.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:02 AM

48,766 posts, read 14,667,534 times
If anything were demonstrated, repeated, studied and researched to the extent that it had as much credibility as - say - hypnotism, then I would believe it or at least come down on the 'Credible' side. It would become 'natural', rather than supernatural. I suppose the only 'supernatural' event which has credibility is ball - lighning and that is supernatural in commas because it is not yet possible to predict, observe and study it so its causes are a bit theoretical, rather like dark matter and string theory. Though plasma balls have been made artificially. So that really deserves benefit of scientific doubt.

There are matters such as psychosomatic marks, the Mystic experience and Voices, but, here again, these, like hypnotism, are beginning to be taken out of the Supernatural area and seen as natural and, of course just down to the human bod and brain and nothing to do with any outside entity. ESP, prediction and spoon - bending are not yet credibly emonstrated and the amount of hoaxing going on tends against credibility.

So, no. I voted no.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:06 AM

21,125 posts, read 22,085,515 times
If it exists or happens it is 'natural'......just not yet understood or explained.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 AM

13,856 posts, read 24,152,283 times
So far this thread is like 90% no so I'm thinking I worded it wrong as the God one was not so lopsided.

Possibly some are thinking "No because God is nature or part of nature" or "No because miracles are done by nature or are a part of nature" or "No because you mean Eastern religious concepts and nothing else."

Old 07-20-2010, 08:42 AM

4,883 posts, read 5,543,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
I don't believe in anything "supernatural". I have seen no evidence and have no reason to believe in anything outside of nature.

I think the world and the universe are plenty interesting just the way they are, without believing in things unproven.
I am just like doubting Thomas....I have to see some evidence before I'm going to believe in it wholeheartedly. I believe it is just down right silly to believe in things that have never been proven.

Old 07-20-2010, 08:54 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,338,811 times
Well I've been around for over sixty years, worked in over a dozen countries,and I've never seen anything remotely supernatural.
The fact is, some people are so frightened of death, they cling to any absurd myth (religion) as a sort of insurance policy.

Old 07-20-2010, 02:18 PM

48,766 posts, read 14,667,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
So far this thread is like 90% no so I'm thinking I worded it wrong as the God one was not so lopsided.

Possibly some are thinking "No because God is nature or part of nature" or "No because miracles are done by nature or are a part of nature" or "No because you mean Eastern religious concepts and nothing else."
It does seem to require that you go back and think what you actually mean by something 'supernatural'. I don't want to be sly but there is rather too much of taking concepts like 'supernatural', 'soul' and 'god' and tossing them into the debate without giving much thought to what we are actually talking about.

Miracles are supernatural events in that they are inexplicable in terms of the science of the time. Comets and lightning fell into that category and fits and similar siezures were ascribed to demons. We know better now and Voices and the mystical experience and a lot of other stuff that we thought of as supernatural is looking natural - once we have an idea of what's doing it.

In the world of 'What if...?' perhaps more consideration should be given to 'what if all this miracle stuff is actually natural that we don't yet understand?'

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-20-2010 at 02:52 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 02:32 PM

3,334 posts, read 5,491,454 times
I voted yes with the caveat that "yes" really means "maybe". I say this because I have had certain experiences, but I cannot say for certainty that what I experienced is actually what I thought it was. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Fullback32; 07-20-2010 at 02:43 PM..

Old 07-20-2010, 02:36 PM

4,669 posts, read 5,348,333 times
"God" is in the eye of the beholder, or not. Personal experiences on this planet are wide, and varied. I don't feel obligated to prove my dreams, ESP, etc to people. I know what I have been through. The omniverse is filled with possibilities, and the Earth/human experience is something that took getting used to. We can keep getting used to things. No one has all of the answers for all of the experiences available here, and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.