Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:52 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtitans View Post
But if you are so sure and confident in what you believe then why can't you tell them that you don't want to hear it and move on? Why does it bother you so much? It seems as though it makes you uncomfortable, maybe even a bit insecure?

And by you not wanting to hear what they have to say doesn't that make it seems as though you believe your beliefs are better than theirs????? I mean if you didn't think your beliefs were better than theirs then you wouldn't be bothered by someone "trying" to change your beliefs, right? Look I know better than you know, don't try to tell me what is the truth I already know. To even try to tell me I'm wrong is rude and insulting.
They'd do better at my house if they were to show up in the middle of cocktail hour, particularly if they're HOT. By 9:30 I'm often in a catatonic state on the couch, unresponsive to persuasion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 06:37 AM

9,879 posts, read 14,128,518 times
Quote:
But if you are so sure and confident in what you believe then why can't you tell them that you don't want to hear it and move on? Why does it bother you so much? It seems as though it makes you uncomfortable, maybe even a bit insecure?

And by you not wanting to hear what they have to say doesn't that make it seems as though you believe your beliefs are better than theirs????? I mean if you didn't think your beliefs were better than theirs then you wouldn't be bothered by someone "trying" to change your beliefs, right? Look I know better than you know, don't try to tell me what is the truth I already know. To even try to tell me I'm wrong is rude and insulting.
Yes, you are correct, I am the insecure one. So insecure I am able live an extremely fulfilling and joyful life without needing to rely on a deity.

I attended religious school for 12 years, so I have heard the message. It hasn't changed; I just don't embrace it. I don't care that other people do.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 AM

617 posts, read 1,356,434 times
So is this thread to complain about door-to-door religious folks, or can we complain about anything door-to-door? I had pest control people knock on my door at 8:30 p.m. two nights ago with the usual song and dance about how they were doing work for my neighbors.

I had just got done putting my two year old to bed, which can be an adventure some nights, and his knocking on the door set off one of our dogs. I was not in the mood, and I think he picked up on it real quick. If I had needed to go through putting my kid to bed a second time, I would have considered seeking out his company van with a bat.

A bat kept near the front door at all times for situations like this, because I have no idea who the hell is knocking on the door at 8:30 p.m. If I have a problem with spiders, I'll take care of it with my shoe, thanks.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:51 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
Yes, you are correct, I am the insecure one. So insecure I am able live an extremely fulfilling and joyful life without needing to rely on a deity.

I attended religious school for 12 years, so I have heard the message. It hasn't changed; I just don't embrace it. I don't care that other people do.
You're deflecting the point. That isn't the point and that doesn't mean you have heard what another person has to offer. There are many people out there that portray themselves as Christians but they are really cults. There are people who mix religions and many other strange things. The point is why does it bother you so much that people want to push their views on you? If you are so confident in what you believe just tell them to move on. I get people who come up to me who are from these groups too and a lot of times I find that they don't even believe what I believe or what the Bible states, but I just take it in stride.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,462,379 times
9:30 PM? That's far out.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Don't you realize that intelligent people have already considered all that you will ever be able to offer them and have rejected it? You and your proselytizing posse don't bring anything new to the table. You are like a four-year old demanding a lollipop after she's been told fifty times that she can't have one.

And you are furthermore rapidly pushing the thread to the point where it belongs in the Religion Forum, not in Northern Virginia. Just another example of an insolent and ill-mannered barging in where one has no rightful reason to be or proper business to conduct.
What did calling proselytizers low level telemarketers have to do with this thread?

You have a warped sense of reality. First, unless you have visited every country on the face of this earth, I guarantee you that you don't know everything that people believe in. People worship animals, people and many other things that you probably wouldn't imagine.

Again you make the assumption that just because I may evangelize that I believe the same thing that everyone else does. Just like Forehead said, there are all types of businesses and people who do this, so again what is the complaint? Are YOU complaining about what these girls believe or what they did? It seems like that you and others are derailing this thread by focusing on something that has nothing to do with the main point.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Look I know better than you know, don't try to tell me what is the truth I already know. To even try to tell me I'm wrong is rude and insulting.
To be honest, the answer to that is, essentially, yes. But I am too polite and respectful of other people to ever say that out loud to someone. Those who evangelize and prosthelize have the exact same viewpoint, but choose to continue to spew their message.

Old 07-02-2012, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
To be honest, the answer to that is, essentially, yes. But I am too polite and respectful of other people to ever say that out loud to someone. Those who evangelize and prosthelize have the exact same viewpoint, but choose to continue to spew their message.
So because you choose not to listen to these individuals, that makes you better? Even though you just basically admitted that you think your views are better than theirs. How is telling someone I don't want hear it any different than someone who tries to "spew" their message? It seems like they are both operating with similar mindset just different approaches to it. When you said that you find their actions rude and insulting because "it insinuates that their beliefs are better than mine", why would someone not say the same about your actions? Sounds hypocritical.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:05 AM

95 posts, read 140,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
And we were in Glen Ellyn for three years before moving here.

NC211,

If I stayed in Chicago I was seriously considering moving to Glen Ellyn. It seemed like a very nbice place to live. I like how all the developments were layed out. That was in 2001. Would you agree that the Northern Virginia area is a big change? Personally, I find most people here to be excessively guarded, cold, & unfriendly. This is after 10 years living here. Big difference from the South Side of Chicago.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
So because you choose not to listen to these individuals, that makes you better? Even though you just basically admitted that you think your views are better than theirs. How is telling someone I don't want hear it any different than someone who tries to "spew" their message? It seems like they are both operating with similar mindset just different approaches to it. When you said that you find their actions rude and insulting because "it insinuates that their beliefs are better than mine", why would someone not say the same about your actions? Sounds hypocritical.
I've never once given you any idea what my "actions" actually are when prostheletized to. I've only discussed that I find it rude for people to do so; and choose not to be friends with people who do that.

For all you know, I actually sit and listen to everything that is said. Doesn't change my religious beliefs or the fact that I think that person is rude.

And, as I said before, while I may think my beliefs are correct, I don't try and force my beliefs on anyone else. That is the difference between me and those who evangelize. You also think your beliefs are correct, but you feel everyone else must hear it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality